What rule don't people know?

CorPse

Re: What rule don't people know?

Another way the system favors low Dex characters: If you plan on taking a recovery in your phase and you get damaged' date=' but not stunned, before your Dex comes up, you still get your recovery in that phase.:eek: If you take damage after your Dex, it blows your recovery. Another reason why low Dex bricks are so hard to knockout. I ran across this rule the other day while reading the rulebook.:thumbup:[/quote']

This is another rule I don't ever remember playing. We've always played that if you're not STUNNED, then when your action comes up you can take a REC if you want. Otherwise, "first blood", so to speak, would be a HUGE advantage. More than it should be. I mean, if you can't Recover in a phase you take damage, then a well planned ambush could be almost impossible to overcome.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a lot of people forget you can buy 2pt Skills Levels with a Single Skill (like Stealth) and add Limitations to it.

If you are going to put modifiers on a skill level it has to be at least a 3 point skill level for general skill levels or 5 points for combat skill levels, unless version 5 changed that.

And I won't let someone who is hit in a segment recover that segment unless its the post 12 recovery phase.

I know a lot of people forget you can buy 2pt Skills Levels with a Single Skill (like Stealth) and add Limitations to it.

If you are going to put modifiers on a skill level it has to be at least a 3 point skill level for general skill levels or 5 points for combat skill levels, unless version 5 changed that.

By the book - if you buy +1 Stealth (for 2pts) you may put Limitations on it.

And I won't let someone who is hit in a segment recover that segment unless its the post 12 recovery phase.

Just as a note, you can't get hit in post 12, because it isn't a real Segment. It's just the Recovery you get between 12 and 1 (assuming you aren't at more than -10 STUN). So no need for an exception for it. :)

Just as a note' date=' you can't get hit in post 12, because it isn't a real Segment. It's just the Recovery you get between 12 and 1 (assuming you aren't at more than -10 STUN). So no need for an exception for it. :)[/quote']

You mean -20 Stun.

-11 to -20 Stun is Post-12 Only.

One I forget about, that came up in last night's session.

Continuing effect mental powers (Mind Control, Telepathy, Mental Illusions, ect) - are instant powers. If you switch them out in a multipower, the effect stays, and if you switch back in, you can make changes.

I forget that.

You have the Editions at your Fingertips. When did that become the rule? Pretty sure it was 5th, because I seem to recall going WTF? while reading that in the black-and-green for the first time. Hate that change with the burning intensity of a star's innards, although I did know it existed.

Another way the system favors low Dex characters: If you plan on taking a recovery in your phase and you get damaged' date=' but not stunned, before your Dex comes up, you still get your recovery in that phase.:eek: If you take damage after your Dex, it blows your recovery. Another reason why low Dex bricks are so hard to knockout. I ran across this rule the other day while reading the rulebook.:thumbup:[/quote']

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think I might let someone recover on their DEX, just because most actions are completed at their DEX and essentially this forces you to hold your action. I can even see you taking a recovery while taking damage, so the SFX work out in my mind just fine.

But I haven't figured out if it would be disruptive.

Still, I do like the imagery of someone getting pounded on so much that they just can't seem to get their feet under them.

It bears thought.

One I forget about, that came up in last night's session.

Continuing effect mental powers (Mind Control, Telepathy, Mental Illusions, ect) - are instant powers. If you switch them out in a multipower, the effect stays, and if you switch back in, you can make changes.

I forget that.

If you switch out of the Multipower slot, then back in, you have to succeed with another ECV attack roll before you can continue spending END on it or change it.

And if a change is being made (as opposed to just resuming spending END), a new Effect Roll is required (naturally). But if this new Effect Roll fails to achieve the appropriate level for the change, the target is freed from the first use of the power.

5er, p118-119.

By the book - if you buy +1 Stealth (for 2pts) you may put Limitations on it.

Can you give a page? The only thing I can find is about buying the entire skill with a limitation, not just part of the skill.

Also, despite costing the same, a +1 Skill Level w/ Stealth is not the same thing as spending the points to buy up one's Stealth.

Despite buying Increased STUN Multiplier, the -1 on the Multiplier is still there, is applied first, and that result is adjusted to 1 if below 1. THEN the Increased STUN Multiplier is applied.

For ex: a 1d6 RKA, Increased STUN Multiplier(+¼) rolls a 4 for BODY, and a 1 for STUN Multiplier. This produces 8 STUN, not 4.

Can you give a page? The only thing I can find is about buying the entire skill with a limitation, not just part of the skill.

Also, despite costing the same, a +1 Skill Level w/ Stealth is not the same thing as spending the points to buy up one's Stealth.

5ER p42 (2nd to last paragraph under Standard Skill Rolls)

Technically you're right, it is not a "Skill Level", but a strait forward improvement to the Skill - point wise there's no difference, it become a matter of semantics.

"I bought two levels of Stealth with Only In Forests" and "I bought two Skill Levels for Stealth with Only In Forests" becomes a nitpick, and not of the good kind.

You have the Editions at your Fingertips. When did that become the rule? Pretty sure it was 5th' date=' because I seem to recall going WTF? while reading that in the black-and-green for the first time. Hate that change with the burning intensity of a star's innards, although I did know it existed.[/quote']

4th does not state explicitly, but the powers are instant powers, which seems to imply the same thing (with SteveZilla's comments above being the case).

Third and before has even less info.

If you switch out of the Multipower slot, then back in, you have to succeed with another ECV attack roll before you can continue spending END on it or change it.

And if a change is being made (as opposed to just resuming spending END), a new Effect Roll is required (naturally). But if this new Effect Roll fails to achieve the appropriate level for the change, the target is freed from the first use of the power.

5er, p118-119.

Thanks. I was looking at the paragraph for it in The Ultimate Mentalist, and that stuff wasn't as clear there.

And I can understand Mind Control, Illusions and such setting the power and switching a slot out lets the effect you set keep going, it still is strange for me, for Telepathy. You set up the telepathic link, switch your multipower and you can still get information (at the same level) while your multipower is in another slot. That one just makes me say Hmmm. :)

Many players, especially old timers, miss the idea that Persuasion can be resisted in a contest of skills (Persusuasion vs EGO) by NPCs, and the option of similarly applying the skill against PCs. 5thER, p.67

It makes a good model for handling other Interaction Skills as well, if you feel like a more mechanics based approach to Interaction Skill use.

Despite buying Increased STUN Multiplier' date=' the -1 on the Multiplier is still there, is applied first, and that result is adjusted to 1 if below 1. THEN the [i']Increased STUN Multiplier[/i] is applied.

For ex: a 1d6 RKA, Increased STUN Multiplier(+¼) rolls a 4 for BODY, and a 1 for STUN Multiplier. This produces 8 STUN, not 4.

Until I was posting here (back before 5th was even out) I'd never run across anyone that didn't do it like this. It had never really occured to me that there was really any other way to do it. :o

Thanks. I was looking at the paragraph for it in The Ultimate Mentalist, and that stuff wasn't as clear there.

And I can understand Mind Control, Illusions and such setting the power and switching a slot out lets the effect you set keep going, it still is strange for me, for Telepathy. You set up the telepathic link, switch your multipower and you can still get information (at the same level) while your multipower is in another slot. That one just makes me say Hmmm. :)

You mean....I can have Mind Scan in a multipower now, use it to find someone, and then switch points to use ANOTHER mental power WITHOUT losing the Mind Scan?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary explains that Lucius is recalling the frustrations he used to have trying to play a mentalist in first edition Champions, when putting Mind Scan in a multipower created a classic "can't have your cake and eat it too!" situation.

You mean....I can have Mind Scan in a multipower now, use it to find someone, and then switch points to use ANOTHER mental power WITHOUT losing the Mind Scan?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary explains that Lucius is recalling the frustrations he used to have trying to play a mentalist in first edition Champions, when putting Mind Scan in a multipower created a classic "can't have your cake and eat it too!" situation.

Nope, Mind Scan is a Constant Power, not an Instant. Though it is an odd Constant Power, as it by default only costs END to start up and doesn't cost any to maintain.

Mind Control, on the other hand, is an Instant. So you could use Mind Control on someone and then switch to another power in your Multipower without setting them free. However if you do you cannot keep feeding END into the power to stop the target from getting bonuses to their breakout roll.

ation.

Nope. Mind Scan and Mind Link are the exceptions - Telepathy, Mind control and Mental Illusions are the ones that work like that.

Nope. Mind Scan and Mind Link are the exceptions - Telepathy' date=' Mind control and Mental Illusions are the ones that work like that.[/quote']

Because Mind Scan is a Constant Power, and Mind Link is a Persistant Power. Only the Instant Mental Powers work like that. :)

To expand on Archermoo's comments:

Any Instant Power inside a Framework that has lasting effect (Entangle, Energy Blast, etc) where the Slot is turned off or otherwise switched out of does not lose the benefits of it's lingering effects.

If they did the enemy would heal every time you switched from your Basic Blast to your Armor Piercing Blast.

So I'll have to look at the rules and see how to turn a constant power into an instant power.

When I put it that way it sounds like a really strange thing to do to make a power last longer....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests dehydrating it. Instant Power, just add water!

The rule for being Knocked Out trumps the one for being Stunned. There is no need to worry about being Stunned when also Knocked out. Being Knocked Out is ALWAYS worse.

This is not strictly true. There are times when being stunned is worse.

If you get stunned in phase 12, after you have already acted, you are stunned until your next phase. This puts you at half DCV and easy prey for a follow-up attack early in the subsequent turn, which will likely send you deep into negatives.

If you get knocked out to some value between 0 and -10 in phase 12, you do not lose your next action, and your post-12 recovery will kick in and most likely bring you up to positive END/STUN again. If you do get targeted before your next phase, you still have the option to abort.