PhilFleischmann

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: FRPG Ideas from D&D that ain't necessarily so

You can slap a dragon around until it surrenders and becomes a stupid puppy

That one changed out between 1st and 2nd Ed. I suppose it's as fair a D&D criticism as, say, criticizing Hero because:

- a normal person can demolish a car with his bare hands [1e objects had BOD only, and no defenses]

- buying a 1d6 KA for a 75 STR character gives him a 6d6 killing attack [the cap was introduced in 2e]

I'm sure we could come up with lots of similar criticisms on 1e Hero that really aren't as valid today if we wanted to.

That one changed out between 1st and 2nd Ed. I suppose it's as fair a D&D criticism as, say, criticizing Hero because:

- a normal person can demolish a car with his bare hands [1e objects had BOD only, and no defenses]

- buying a 1d6 KA for a 75 STR character gives him a 6d6 killing attack [the cap was introduced in 2e]

I'm sure we could come up with lots of similar criticisms on 1e Hero that really aren't as valid today if we wanted to.

Yes, but that would be a different thread.

Lucius Alexander

What did you expect, a palindromedary tagline?

Yes, but that would be a different thread.

Lucius Alexander

What did you expect, a palindromedary tagline?

After repeated calls to start a new thread - I have started a new thread here-

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1477466

Post things about Hero in that thread.

After repeated calls to start a new thread - I have started a new thread here-

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1477466

Post things about Hero in that thread.

More to the point: This thread is about "FRPG Ideas from D&D." If it's an idea that D&D later abandoned, that only proves that it "ain't necessarily so" even for D&D. It doesn't change the fact that it is "from D&D" (at least, by the definition I think we've agreed on.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if Lucius actually thinks anyone has agreed to anything....

More to the point: This thread is about "FRPG Ideas from D&D." If it's an idea that D&D later abandoned, that only proves that it "ain't necessarily so" even for D&D. It doesn't change the fact that it is "from D&D" (at least, by the definition I think we've agreed on.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if Lucius actually thinks anyone has agreed to anything....

Should I start another thread on "ideas that were in earlier editions of D&D but are no longer there and no one follows"?

:-p

Should I start another thread on "ideas that were in earlier editions of D&D but are no longer there and no one follows"?

:-p

This entire thread is more or less, the "rules" we all learned about RPGs from playing D&D, in whatever edition or incarnation. It's not about serious criticism of D&D for stuff that has changed in subsequent editions. Which is why some posters seem to be having a disconnect with the discussion.

D&D, by virtue of its position as the first and, throughout the history of the hobby, most popular roleplaying game, has left an indelible mark on how we all roleplay. Perhaps you (meaning the general "you", whoever may be reading this) didn't start with D&D, but odds are you started roleplaying with someone who did, or with someone who roleplayed with someone who did. There's a sort of tribal knowledge, which even if you have never partaken of directly colors the way you look at a gaming book. A lot of the assumptions there were never challenged for years, and in fact challenging them was strongly discouraged. It's only been in the last few years that that's changed.

So, if you want serious criticism of D&D, especially about stuff from previous editions that has since changed, feel free to start another thread. But that's not this thread.

Perhaps we could have a thread on "FRPG Ideas from D&D that ARE necessarily so" or that at least ought to be.

For example:

Characters improve with experience.

Yes, some games have worked under a paradigm that characters never improve, or even that they only degrade. Those ideas suck.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is emphatically NOT from D&D. Taglines need not be on topic.

Perhaps we could have a thread on "FRPG Ideas from D&D that ARE necessarily so" or that at least ought to be.

For example:

Characters improve with experience.

Yes, some games have worked under a paradigm that characters never improve, or even that they only degrade. Those ideas suck.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is emphatically NOT from D&D. Taglines need not be on topic.

Ah, you may want to make sure you never play Prime Time Adventures then :)

Another one: this is more a module design flaw but it's pretty typical D&D:

Monsters inevitably have the kind of weapon needed to kill them (Giants with giant bane weapons, dragons with +4 vs lizards, etc)

Blame Beowulf for that one.

EGG was big on ripping off the classics.