FRPG Ideas from D&D that ain't necessarily so

PhilFleischmann

Re: FRPG Ideas from D&D that ain't necessarily so

Now that does sound interesting!

The closest I've got is the myth adventures, pratchett and Grunts by Mary Gentle to fantasy satire.

there are indeed similarities :) please don't be discouraged by the cover of Council of Blades, it has no relevance to the contents

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on topic:

70) Every non-human race has its own language. And only one language per non-human race, no matter where they live.

71) Your code of behavior confers on you a special language, that is automatically spoken by every other person in the world who shares a similar code of behavior.

72) Damage is quantum in nature. Hit points represent both health and fatigue, and ability to dodge. But never both at the same time. If you take damage from a Magic Missile that always hits - HP is health. If you are fighting with swords - HP is dodge. If you are falling from a cliff - HP is how light you are?

Back on topic:

70) Every non-human race has its own language. And only one language per non-human race, no matter where they live.

70a) Humans don't even have their own language; they speak Common, which apparently everyone speaks.

70a.I) Common is apparently English, to the extent that multiple meanings in English translate directly.

70a) Humans don't even have their own language; they speak Common, which apparently everyone speaks.

70a.I) Common is apparently English, to the extent that multiple meanings in English translate directly.

Once again, this seems common to most/all games and much of the source material. Having the characters unable to communicate with each other and/or those around them quickly becomes a pain. Sometimes, there's a handwave that Our Hero spends some time amongst the locals and picks up the language. Yet puns and double entenres seem to work identically, regardless of the language, so those multiple meaning ranslate straight over.

73. It is possible to resist certain spells and powers simply because you are at a high enough level to do so. If your level is too low they can kill or effect you every single time regardless of your stats.

74. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. Abilities must be learned in a certain order, there is some sense to this, particularly with e.g. Cleave as a prerequisite for Great Cleave but surely not everyone needs to know Dodge to learn Armour Mobility for example.

Wow...it sounds like a lot of you have played D&D under some BAD GM's. Yeah, prerequisites for Feats dont always make much sense, but most of what Im reading about here really applies only to "old school" AD&D-type games, and not to anything Ive played in d20 in the last, say, 10 years...

So...

75) * Everyone runs D&D exactly the same way, without taking the time to craft their own campaign worlds, or to vary things that dont make sense that arent integral to the game mechanics (like "alignment languages"; their inclusion or absence makes no game-mechanical difference at all)

*Except that I know that its not true.

Wow...it sounds like a lot of you have played D&D under some BAD GM's. Yeah, prerequisites for Feats dont always make much sense, but most of what Im reading about here really applies only to "old school" AD&D-type games, and not to anything Ive played in d20 in the last, say, 10 years...

So...

75) * Everyone runs D&D exactly the same way, without taking the time to craft their own campaign worlds, or to vary things that dont make sense that arent integral to the game mechanics (like "alignment languages"; their inclusion or absence makes no game-mechanical difference at all)

*Except that I know that its not true.

[sigh]You must spread some reputation around...[/sigh]

This is true, a GOOD GM can run an incredible campaign in D&D. Much like a master chef can turn even frozen tv dinners into an incredible meal (with the right ingredients). Sadly, D&D (or more accurately AD&D 2nd edition) is more like frozen tv dinners with almost everything you need prefabricated in a little tray.

75) * Everyone runs D&D exactly the same way' date=' without taking the time to craft their own campaign worlds, or to vary things that dont make sense that arent integral to the game mechanics (like "alignment languages"; their inclusion or absence makes no game-mechanical difference at all)[/quote']

Actually, I think most people do. Those of us who work out how to change things to suit us are much rarer than we suppose.

This is true' date=' a [i']GOOD[/i] GM can run an incredible campaign in D&D. Much like a master chef can turn even frozen tv dinners into an incredible meal (with the right ingredients). Sadly, D&D (or more accurately AD&D 2nd edition) is more like frozen tv dinners with almost everything you need prefabricated in a little tray.

I would like to point out that this thread is not about good GMs, modifications, homebrew rules, and what one person in 10 may be doing with D&D. Nor is it really about D20 n.n version (or the latest reprint to cover the holes missed in the previous reprint).

I find all the ranting of "but this isn't so" from the D&D apologists highly amusing because of its irrelevance to the thread.

76) Non-adventuring classes are wimps and easily killed by PC classes. This includes kings, princes, soldiers and knights.

77) The more experienced the character, the more powerful the magic items they have on them. High level characters always have magic items.

77a) High level characters have no problems selling or buying magic items in any settlement especially if the item is far less powerful (but still magical) than what they should have for their level (ie a level 16 selling a +1 sword).

78) There is no such thing as "mail" it is always "chain mail".

79) Obscure makes of halberd are important enough to have entries on the default equipment list whereas common small arms such as the Sax are not.

80) Armour makes you harder to be hit.

80a) Armour does not slow you down, hinder movement, require maintenance or repair or even get damaged.

80b) Shields (as above)

81) Rations will keep forever and sustain you for life. No other food is ever required.

81a) Potions will keep forever and remain exactly as potent.

78) There is no such thing as "mail" it is always "chain mail".

Ring Mail, Scale Mail and Plate mail were all in 1st and 2nd Ed.

80) Armour makes you harder to be hit.

Since D&D mixes "did it hit" and "did it get through the armor" into one roll, it's tough to say if it made you harder to hit or harder to hurt. I'd say rather "Armor either deflects an entire attack or lets the whole thing through - it never reduces the blow's impact"

BTW, a shield is a type of armor. It also makes you harder to hit in Hero.

80a) Armour does not slow you down' date=' hinder movement, require maintenance or repair or even get damaged.[/quote']

Heavier armor slows down your maximum movement rate in all editions of D&D, as well as encumbering you, which also slows you down.

There are no rules for armor maintenance, but I believe many editions refer to adventurers maintaining their equipment during their "down time".

80b) Shields (as above)

Indeed.

81) Rations will keep forever and sustain you for life. No other food is ever required.

81a) Potions will keep forever and remain exactly as potent.

I am aware of no games which provide spoilage rules in this regard, nor any which address the impact of not maintaining a balanced diet. Perhaps someone can offer up some examples of "The Four Food Groups Role Playing Games"

[And any good gamer knows all about the four basic food groups - Salt, Sugar, Caffeine and Grease.]

I am aware of no games which provide spoilage rules in this regard, nor any which address the impact of not maintaining a balanced diet. Perhaps someone can offer up some examples of "The Four Food Groups Role Playing Games"

[And any good gamer knows all about the four basic food groups - Salt, Sugar, Caffeine and Grease.]

Quick reminder - this thread is not about other games.

Since D&D mixes "did it hit" and "did it get through the armor" into one roll, it's tough to say if it made you harder to hit or harder to hurt. I'd say rather "Armor either deflects an entire attack or lets the whole thing through - it never reduces the blow's impact"

BTW, a shield is a type of armor. It also makes you harder to hit in Hero.

Hence misleading entire generations of roleplayers as to what armour actually does. There is this whole "FRPG Ideas from D&D that ain't necessarily so" which seems to have been missed as the title of the thread.

Mind you if AC is "did it hit" and "did it get through the armor" - does that mean it's another form of HP?

Quick reminder - this thread is not about other games.

No, it's about FRPG Ideas from D&D that ain't necessarily so. [emphasis mine] So FRPG ideas that don't come from D&D, but from a broad slate of FRPG's in general, rather than D&D in particular, do notfit the mold of the title. Many of the items recently listed aren't "from D&D", but are common to FRPG's in general. So much so that, as noted previously, I have seen no games which do it differently.

If it's an idea "that ain't necessarily so", I'd expect to see the occasional game buck the trend. Like, for example, many games which segregate the difficulty in landing a blow and the difficulty in penetrating the target's natural and artificaial protection (scaly hide and armor, as examples of each), where D&D chooses the more abstract approach of combining the two.

That an opponent is either alive, dying or dead, with being knocked out but not dying an event one's opponent must specifically try to attempt, making his victory more difficult than it would otherwise be.

I don't believe I was the only one who found the concept of STUN and BOD damage innovative when Champions first appeared.

That an opponent is either alive, dying or dead, with being knocked out but not dying an event one's opponent must specifically try to attempt, making his victory more difficult than it would otherwise be.

I don't believe I was the only one who found the concept of STUN and BOD damage innovative when Champions first appeared.

Now you're coming around. No one here appears to be maligning D&D so much as giving it a good natured ribbing. Most of us all suckled at the same gaming teat.

N) Dragons can only breath their coded breath weapon three times per day, and will always have their three times available for the next group of wandering snacks ("I LOVE these things! The metal outside wrapping helps to cook them soooo evenly!). :D

Midas

N) Dragons can only breath their coded breath weapon three times per day' date=' and will always have their three times available for the next group of wandering snacks ("I LOVE these things! The metal outside wrapping helps to cook them soooo evenly!). :D[/quote']

They're also prepared to use the BW at the first opportunity, despite having limited resources and all little humanoids looking the same. You'd think they'd see whether the target is a threat first.

However, I don't recall whether it was 2e or 3e that revised this from 3 uses/day to a random (short) number of rounds between breath weapon uses.

Ring Mail' date=' Scale Mail and Plate mail were all in 1st and 2nd Ed.[/quote']

I think his point was that "chainmail" is in all likelihood a neologism, a purely modern word. Calling other armors "plate mail", "scale mail", etc, -- using mail as a synonym for armor -- is also not authentic to the time period in which those armors were actually used.

(And it turns out that "studded leather" is largely fictional as well, possibly based on mistaking the rivets in artwork of brigandine for studs in leather.)