Military rank Related Question

clsage

Thought that this question would fit here as well as anywhere else.....

If an Admiral was needing a personal pilot to operate a vehicle

he was going to be traveling on/in, what rank does modern

protocol say is needed for the pilot ? I mean, I wouldn't expect

(except under extreme circumstances) for a staff pilot to be

less than a lieutenant. But that is just going by my very limited

exposure to such things. Anyone with more armed services

knowledge have any info they could share ?

Thanks.

-Carl-

Re: Military rank Related Question

Whenever I see a pilot's name mentioned in the news, he's either a captain or a major. It takes about 5-8 years IIRC to make captain, so that sounds about right. Of course, I don't know whether a naval pilot would have the same designations as an Air Force pilot(probably not), so perhaps "ensign" would be more apropos.

Looking at how the rankings progress, offhand I'd guess either "Lieutenant"(O-3) or "Lieutenant Commander"(O-4), since Captain is a much higher rank in the Navy than in the Army or Air Force.

Whenever I see a pilot's name mentioned in the news, he's either a captain or a major. It takes about 5-8 years IIRC to make captain, so that sounds about right. Of course, I don't know whether a naval pilot would have the same designations as an Air Force pilot(probably not), so perhaps "ensign" would be more apropos.

Looking at how the rankings progress, offhand I'd guess either "Lieutenant"(O-3) or "Lieutenant Commander"(O-4), since Captain is a much higher rank in the Navy than in the Army or Air Force.

Yeah, that's what I had thought too....just going by popular cultural

references and such. Thanks.

-Carl-

Heh... Ok first my bonafides. I am a Navy retiree and spent 17 of my 20 years in the Naval Aviation community. It takes an average of 15 to 20 years to make Captain in the Navy, as the equivalent rank in the other services is a full Colonel (0-6). In fact Captains are only one rank below flag rank officers (commodore/admiral).

Admirals don't have personal pilots, or even assigned aircraft. When an admiral wants to travel his staff contacts the local CAG/Air Wing Commander or the local airbase ops office and they schedule an aircraft to transport the admiral and his staff. It would be extemely unlikely for a nugget (a junior officer most likely ltjg or new lt) to transport an admiral, but an experienced LT or LCDR would be most likely. By the time an aviator reaches CDR, he most likely is a squadron commander. Then by the time he makes Captain he is most likely a Wing Commander, CAG, or bucking for a Carrier Command. In order for a line officer to become an Admiral he must have commanded a deep water vessel at some point (like a carrier or Amphib). It is possible IF the Admiral was an Aviator and keeps up his flight quals, that he could fly himself in an available fighter/helo etc.

Also one point of order...

There are no pilots in the Navy, they are Naval Aviators.

Pilots are relegated to the lesser services (Army, Airforce, Marines ) :D

It would be extemely unlikely for a nugget (a junior officer most likely ltjg or new lt) to transport an admiral, but an experienced LT or LCDR would be most likely. By the time an aviator reaches CDR, he most likely is a squadron commander. Then by the time he makes Captain he is most likely a Wing Commander, CAG, or bucking for a Carrier Command. In order for a line officer to become an Admiral he must have commanded a deep water vessel at some point (like a carrier or Amphib). It is possible IF the Admiral was an Aviator and keeps up his flight quals, that he could fly himself in an available fighter/helo etc.

I recalled the 'aviators" point a bit belatedly. :D

So for my scenario, a Lt Commander pulled from local flight ops would

be an appropriate rank to act in the transport of an Admiral...If he

chose not to fly himself.

Thanks.

-Carl-

Pilots are relegated to the lesser services (Army, Airforce, Marines ) :D

:rolleyes:

If the Navy calls their flyboys "aviators" rather than "pilots" it's because in nautical terms a "pilot" is a guy who guides a ship into port.

Don't get me started on stupid nitpicks in military terminology.

My memory is that naval airships' crews fit comfortably in the Navy's standard ship-command structure' date=' but that could be a memory from fanfiction, not history.[/quote']

So, if that's true it sounds like you'd be a Captain of an airship?

Lookat the relevant Wikipedia entry, looks like the airship USS Akron was under the command of a lieutenant commander when she crashed. By courtesy, the CO of a ship is referred to as "Captain", even if he's not a "real" four-striper.

Lookat the relevant Wikipedia entry' date=' looks like the airship USS Akron was under the command of a lieutenant commander when she crashed. By courtesy, the CO of a ship is referred to as "Captain", even if he's not a "real" four-striper.[/quote']

Cool...

Thanks as always C.

Thought that this question would fit here as well as anywhere else.....

If an Admiral was needing a personal pilot to operate a vehicle

he was going to be traveling on/in, what rank does modern

protocol say is needed for the pilot ? I mean, I wouldn't expect

(except under extreme circumstances) for a staff pilot to be

less than a lieutenant. But that is just going by my very limited

exposure to such things. Anyone with more armed services

knowledge have any info they could share ?

Thanks.

-Carl-

Most pilots/aviators are officers regardless.