Working Up The Spell Create Food & Water

tiger

Re: Working Up The Spell Create Food & Water

That would be the SFX of a Life Support: Doesn't Have To Eat/Drink with Usable By Others and some kind of time limit. Or Charges.:)

Hmm... I'm doing this from memory, I don't have my book in front of me.

Create Food and Water

LS: Does not need to Eat or Drink (3 points), Usuable on up to 16 others and self (+1 1/4), 1 Fuel Charge lasting a day (+3/4), (9 Active Points), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), OAF (-1), Extra Time: 1 Turn (-1/2), Physical Manifestion (-1/4)

3 Real Points.

This creates a large banquet meal that will feed up to 17 people (horse counts as 3 people's worth for this spell). Food created by this spell will becomes inedible within 24 hours unless magically preserved.

We used to do this with Mental Illusions, in the old days.

Sure, it didn't 'work', but as long as you thought it did, you thought you were fine.

Which was a subtle way to defeat an enemy, since no one objects to illusions of eating, and it doesn't take so long to eat that break-out rolls get much of a bonus.

Transform: Nothing into Food and Water

Here is an option using Transformation:

4 :: Create Food and Water : 1d6 Transform (out of nothingness, returns back to nothingness after 6 hours ), Concentration (1/2 DCV), No Range, Gestures (both hands, pantomime the creation of the meal), Extra time - 1min

-I would say a good size meal for one person per two body roll. Three body rolled I might let strech to two people, but the meals would be small.

It'd look a lot like the sheets for a wild pig and an angry bull. That's right' date=' you gotta [i']work[/i] for your food in this campaign.

Cheese comes from bulls? Ewwww!

As I've told my son recently, ham is not made from pigs. Pigs are made of ham.

There seems to be an interesting dichotomy here.

Those that seem to think of the need of hunger and thirist along the lines of the need to breathe, sleep, and avoid disease. Or another words, annoyances that can be removed through the proper life support.

And those who see food and water as resources and as such should be created and crafted much like everything else magically created (via Transformation out of nothingness).

Which goes back to where this spell fits in the universe.

Is the purpose of creating food and water merely the act of ending hunger and thirst or is it the purpose of creation an experience which not only satisfies the hunger and thirst but does so in a pleasing manner? Leading to the extreme example of summoning animals for the purpose of hunting them down, killing them, preparing them, and consuming them.

There seems to be an interesting dichotomy here.

Those that seem to think of the need of hunger and thirist along the lines of the need to breathe, sleep, and avoid disease. Or another words, annoyances that can be removed through the proper life support.

And those who see food and water as resources and as such should be created and crafted much like everything else magically created (via Transformation out of nothingness).

Which goes back to where this spell fits in the universe.

Is the purpose of creating food and water merely the act of ending hunger and thirst or is it the purpose of creation an experience which not only satisfies the hunger and thirst but does so in a pleasing manner? Leading to the extreme example of summoning animals for the purpose of hunting them down, killing them, preparing them, and consuming them.

This is some seriously deep metaphysics, man.

-I would say a good size meal for one person per two body roll. Three body rolled I might let strech to two people' date=' but the meals would be small.[/quote']

I'd call it a modest sized, plain and fairly bland meal, enough calories but fairly low in other nutritional content for each 1 BODY rolled. For a more flavorful meal, with all or most of the essential nutrients, 2 BODY for each single meal. Or 3 BODY for a fancy, high-class meal.

And you have to decide which type of meal you can create when you buy the spell, unless you buy Increased Target Group, which would let you specify the quality of the meal.

And yes, if you're in survival mode, you could probably stretch a 1-BODY, low-quality meal to feed two people (maybe even three), and they won't starve to death, but they'll be weaker than normal after a while.

Just off the top of my head, you could conceivably create useful matter out of nothing (or nearly nothing) with Transform, Change Environment, Entangle, Summon, or Aid. But my latest favorite is Duplication.

"Hold still, I need to clone you."

"Clone me? What for?"

"I'm hungry."

If I clone you & kill your clone... is it murder? :nonp:

And:

9 Create Food and Water [Conjuration]: Major Transform 4d6 (Food and Water from nothing (air), Consumption or Time (24 hours)) (60 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Casting Time (10 Minutes, -2), Requires A Faith Roll (-1/2), Spell (Cleric (Universal); -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (Close (10"); -1/4)

4 :: Create Food and Water : 1d6 Transform (out of nothingness' date=' returns back to nothingness after 6 hours ), Concentration (1/2 DCV), No Range, Gestures (both hands, pantomime the creation of the meal), Extra time - 1min [/quote']

My problem with this approach is that it does not actually nourish as the food and water (and any benefits that they provided) would be gone after six hours.

Now you could decide that the processed food and water simply disappear (but not the nourishment and hydration they provided) which makes this a very valuable spell as it deals with waste elimination as well as nourishment and hydration.

If you decide it does not provide lingering nourishment and hydration then what it provides is a six hour extension to when the character might suffer hunger and thirst but if they do not find real food and water in that time then they'd be no better off than if they hadn't bothered with the spell.

Doc

I think you're reading way too much into this, Doc; Transform specifies in the text that it creates X from Y, and that can include "something" from "nothing." If a thing is created, it stays created until otherwise specified; I think this is a case where SFX take precedence over mechanics (or implied mechanics).

I think you're reading way too much into this' date=' Doc; Transform specifies in the text that it creates X from Y, and that can include "something" from "nothing." If a thing is created, it stays created until otherwise specified; I think this is a case where SFX take precedence over mechanics (or implied mechanics).[/quote']

If you read the description:

4 :: Create Food and Water : 1d6 Transform (out of nothingness, returns back to nothingness after 6 hours ), Concentration (1/2 DCV), No Range, Gestures (both hands, pantomime the creation of the meal), Extra time - 1min

I have bolded the important part.

Personally I think that it demonstrates how subtle the build of something can change the overall effects and how flexible the system is in allowing such variations.

Doc

:think: Well, you could change it to be 'until it is dispelled' but, given your take on it I would pitty the fool that was only eating magically summoned food and water for the last month. All the cells that were made up of the nurishment of the food would cease to exist. Heck, your body would all but shrivel up from all it's water being gone.

Could you put 'untill it decays naturally'?

However' date=' having a few variations on the create spell would keep people on their toes....[/quote']

Faerie Food and Drink

6 :: Faerie Food and Water : 2d6 Minor Transform - (Transformed spoiled, rotting, or filthy food and water into food that appears fresh and edible and fresh water), Concentration (1/2 DCV), No Range, Gestures (both hands, pantomime the blowing or brushing off the "bad parts" of the meal), Extra time - 1min

Transformation ends upon contact with stomach acid. :D