The Fortress of Solitude

Vestnik

The bookstore that just opened up in my neighborhood just rocks. Not only does it have all the books in Russian you could possibly want, it also has a section in English that has a surprisingly big comics section (o joy, o joy). So I picked up a compilation of 1950s Superman comics. And so...

The Fortress of Solitude. Superman's clubhouse of one at the North Pole. The Base to End All Bases.

How many points would this baby cost? It has everything. Just Superman's shrine to himself, the trophy room, would cost like a billion points. Has anybody ever tried to even speculate on, e.g., the DEF of this monster? And all its followers, the Superman robots -- good lord, are they all as badass as Supes himself?

Re: The Fortress of Solitude

How many points would this baby cost? It has everything. Just Superman's shrine to himself' date=' the trophy room, would cost like a billion points. Has anybody ever tried to even speculate on, e.g., the DEF of this monster? And all its followers, the Superman robots -- good lord, are they all as badass as Supes himself?[/quote']

(All of the following refers to the Silver Age Superman.)

There are various "maps" (actually diagrams) of the Fortress around. Naturally they are inconsistent!

I would guess it's DEF to be a mixture of it being under a mountain, plus some improbably tough walls. Ordinary tunnelling wouldn't cut it, I suspect. It's also concealed!

Basically, I wouldn't bother trying to assess its cost. Call it infinite.

I've been reading the Showcase Presents Superman volumes recently (today!), and it's clear that the Superman robots aren't as tough as Supes. They are really tough, however, and at least at times exhibit free will! While this gets glossed over, they're probably at least as tough as most of the world's other supers! Fortunately, however, Superman mainly exists (existed) in his own little continuity, so this doesn't usually impinge on other series.

An interesting question is: how many are there? This varies a bit, but it is rare for more than 4 or 5 to be seen at a time. There are also Clark Kent robots that may or may not be powered, as well as others improvised for various purposes. I would go for the most conservative assumption, and say 6 or fewer Superman robots. There may also be Supergirl robots too after she goes public. There were Linda Lee/Danvers robots before then.

Another interesting aspect is the bottled city of Kandor. Supes could often count on assistance by a squad of mini-Supermen from Kandor. They usually used a technology that would allow them to grow to some degree, so they weren't quite as microscopic as they were in the bottle. I would still peg them as much smaller than the Atom's usual default state (around 6 inches).

Technically these would count as followers too, although Kandorians as a whole would be DNPCs! Alternatively, you could call them Contacts.

Lori Lemaris and her fellow Atlanteans ("Atlantides") would definitely be Contacts rather than followers, IMHO, which is why I would consider this for Kandorians as well.

(Digression)

Supergirl was originally a "secret weapon", that is, a Follower, rather than an independent heroine. I would treat Krypto and the other superpets the same way, although obviously some of them are technically Supergirl's followers rather than Superman's.

The Legion of Superheroes, Batman and Robin would be Contacts. A few other allies might turn up now and then (Aquaman!), but not frequently enough to really count. Add the JLA when they get started. (Even though Batman is in the JLA, he turns up frequently enough to count separately.)

(/Digression)

Let's face it, Superman was a superteam in his own right!

anybody ever tried to even speculate on' date=' e.g., the DEF of this monster? And all its followers, the Superman robots -- good lord, are they all as badass as Supes himself?[/quote']

No, he could break one of his robots with a single punch. That being said, a Superman robot was still tough enough to be impervious to military weaponry.

The base would not be that expensive, out of the way type mods, strong defense, some good labs, the base was not hat stealthed or concealed in truth, espesialy with the Kandorians (DNPC x2,000,000, useful skills, 8- is worth about 100 points). Now the robots, and other Kryptonians (Animals and Supergirl) would be followers, so, considering it would be based on Supergirl, x2 for Krypto, lets say anoth 2 x2 for robots, we're looking at +15 to the Super girl follower, getting you

for followers

Supergirl

Krypto

4 Superman Robots

2 Clark Kent Robots

Beppo would be a DNPC

Supergirl would maybe take Commet and Streaky as followers, plus a couple robots for herself, or we could just up supers followers another doubling

I've been reading the Showcase Presents Superman volumes recently (today!)' date=' [/quote']

That's what I'm reading! They make no sense at all! They're awesome. :cool:

Is Superman an egomaniac or what? The trophy room, the giant statues to himself everywhere, every other day being Superman Is Awesome Superday -- this Kryptonian has no shame.

The best Superman period, by far. :)

You can do a reasonable homage to the fortress for less than 1,000 points, but it's no where near as buff as the original.

The Superman Robots price out around 600+ points each in HERO, but can be smashed by Supes or his buffer foes (and often are).

Supes effectively has unlimited followers in the 60s; that's the era where he can build and populate planets.

the base was not hat stealthed or concealed in truth

Sure it is. The giant key :rofl:so heavy that only Superman can lift it is disguised as an airplane direction marker. :rofl:

(How does one write up that key?)

PS. I love how meteors are constantly falling from the sky in these comics, clipping airplane wings and falling into volcanoes and suchlike. It must be pretty dangerous.

Ah, Superman. :rolleyes:

That's what I'm reading! They make no sense at all! They're awesome. :cool:

Is Superman an egomaniac or what? The trophy room, the giant statues to himself everywhere, every other day being Superman Is Awesome Superday -- this Kryptonian has no shame.

I don't think he made the statues...

See every time he saves a country from fiery doom, or impending comet or volcanic destruction, the thankful mortals make a statue in effigy to him. But Kal-El knows he is not a god or savior figure so thanks the people and takes the statue back to the Fortress. Wouldn't look right to alien visitors or archaeologists three thousand years from now to find hundreds of statues of a man who wore underwear on the outside. Some religious cult might pop up where people start worshiping aliens from outer space, waiting for them to return and take them to a better place. (Oh wait...)

Dangerous gadgets and such things go into his trophy room to keep them safe (actually this was called "continuity" in the 50's and 60's... see the Mega-Argon-Death Ray fans.. remember when Superman stop Doctor Mind Professor six issues ago?)