Pop-Out Armor

SuperBlue

Okay, how would you write up a suit of Armor that pops-up and wraps around the person wearing it (kinda like the helmets from Star Gate). This is for a Gadgeteer character (with a Variable Gadget Pool and all). Just wondering how to do this.

We'll say for all intents and purposes that it is 10/10 Armor.

Seeing as how the Armor wraps around him, would I still get the OAF limitation I put on the control cost? Cuz I don't see how you could yank the armor off of him without a lot of time an patience.

Sounds like it's either OIF or OIHID. Both are a -½ limitation.

The reason, as I see it, is that once the armor is on, well ripping it off gets to be very hard. Which begs the question, is there something that can be taken away before the armor is active?

If not, than it should definetly be OIHID. Else, I would say OIF.

Re: Pop-Out Armor

Originally posted by SuperBlue

Okay, how would you write up a suit of Armor that pops-up and wraps around the person wearing it (kinda like the helmets from Star Gate). This is for a Gadgeteer character (with a Variable Gadget Pool and all). Just wondering how to do this.

In The Ultimate Vehicle, Retractable Armor is Nonpersistent and Visible (p. 13).

Meaning it can be seen as it activates and when it's "up" and it takes a Zero-Phase Action to activate.

Re: Re: Pop-Out Armor

Originally posted by Armitage

In The Ultimate Vehicle, Retractable Armor is Nonpersistent and Visible (p. 13).

Meaning it can be seen as it activates and when it's "up" and it takes a Zero-Phase Action to activate.

I dont know that I would go so far to take it Nonpersistent for a character -- thats ok for a vehicle, but characters can be staggered and knocked out, making Nonpersistant a bit more of a drawback.

Constant powers can be turned off if you want to do so, and take a 0 Phase action to turn on. Powers in FOCI can be an exception to this, but not necessarily (GMs call).

Visible Armor for sure, but think carefully before taking it Nonpersistent is my advice.

Re: Pop-Out Armor

Okay, how would you write up a suit of Armor that pops-up and wraps around the person wearing it (kinda like the helmets from Star Gate). This is for a Gadgeteer character (with a Variable Gadget Pool and all).

Seeing as how the Armor wraps around him, would I still get the OAF limitation I put on the control cost? Cuz I don't see how you could yank the armor off of him without a lot of time an patience.

From what you are saying, the armor will be in the pool. I'll assume that the pool is difficult to change, taking either a Phase and a roll or even time in the lab.

First, you'll have to change the Limitations on the Pool. The armor you describe is not an OAF, so for it to be in the Pool it can't have that Limitation. Change it to OIF, or perhaps "Focus At -1/2 Level Or Greater". I'm not sure that last is altogether legal, but I generally allow it.

Buy Instant Change as a component of the Armor, to allow you to instantly be in/out of it. It should work: you're just using the Instant Change to turn you from someone out of armor, but who has purchased it, into someone in the armor he has purchased, if that makes sense. When it is off, the armor can be taken as part of the ring (or whatever); when it is on, it can be taken away itself. So, either way, it fulfills the requirements for being an OIF.

Re: Re: Pop-Out Armor

Originally posted by GamePhil

First, you'll have to change the Limitations on the Pool. The armor you describe is not an OAF, so for it to be in the Pool it can't have that Limitation. Change it to OIF, or perhaps "Focus At -1/2 Level Or Greater". I'm not sure that last is altogether legal, but I generally allow it.

"Variable Limitation -1" would give the same -/ break on the control cost and provide way more flexibility - I'd allow it too. It's also consistent with the Multipower example - all powers in the Multi have different OAF's, so the Multi itself gets OIF because it's hard to take everything away at once.

Re: Re: Re: Pop-Out Armor

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

"Variable Limitation -1" would give the same -/ break on the control cost and provide way more flexibility - I'd allow it too. It's also consistent with the Multipower example - all powers in the Multi have different OAF's, so the Multi itself gets OIF because it's hard to take everything away at once.

Actually, that wouldn't work here, precisely: since the armor is an OIF, you'd need to take "Variable Limitation -1/2", because some of the Powers in the Pool would only have OIF or IAF. Still, the idea is the same, you'd just get a -1/4 for it.

My rationale is that, since Focus is a single Limitation, taking "Focus (-1/2)" on the Pool cost is close enough to kosher.

I've decided to buy the Armor outside of the pool. How does this look for the writeup:

Retractable Armor Suit

Armor 10/10 (30)

OIF -1/2

Visible -1/4

Instant Change (5)

Total Cost: 22 Points

Visible seems a little wonky, since it's already an Obvious Focus. I could see it working, but it would have to somehow be more obvious than just large plates of steel surrounding the character, which you already have.

Instant Change is 7 points, if my memory isn't playing tricks, in 5th Edition: are you using 4th?

I've decided to buy the Armor outside of the pool. How does this look for the writeup:

Retractable Armor Suit

Armor 10/10 (30)

OIF -1/2

Visible -1/4

Instant Change (5)

Total Cost: 22 Points

Visible is already covered by the Obvious part of OIF, unless your armor is constanly flashing bright lights and making "Ping" and "Beep" noises.

Retractable Armor

Entangle 4d6, 8 DEF

Only to Form Armor (-1)

No Range (-1/2)

Self Only (-1/2)

OIF (-1/2)

60 pts Active

17 pts Real

I suppose giving it charges would be appropriate - the ring or whatever can only form the armor so many times per day/recharge.

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom

why are people always refering to armor as a vehicle? It isn't. Only Mecha sized armor are vehicles not mansized armor : you can't say the same thing about a cop in kevlar bodysuit or mecha about 10 meters high...they are differend standards

They are talking about giving a vehicle armour. If you have seen the Tim Burton Batman films, the Batmobile (while having high defences normally), can pop out extra-tough armour plates that form an almost impenetrable shell around the car.

It's the armour popping out that makes this relevant. In HERO terms it is a similar power, whether it belongs to a character or to a vehicle.

Originally posted by GamePhil

Visible seems a little wonky, since it's already an Obvious Focus. I could see it working, but it would have to somehow be more obvious than just large plates of steel surrounding the character, which you already have.

Instant Change is 7 points, if my memory isn't playing tricks, in 5th Edition: are you using 4th?

I would let visible pass. An OIF ring that gave you armor could still have the armor be invisibile so - there you go. It adds another clue to the opponent that this guy is tough.