PA hero interest: Life Without People

AmadanNaBriona

Re: PA hero interest: Life Without People

I watched it. And I was actually getting ready to start a thread of my own about it. As for post-apoc, I think it would work better for a disease-driven extinction of human than a more destructive case (given the premise). Watching it would be a way to get a good, gritty, realistic setting for a scenario where their are few humans left. (Say 99.9% got wiped out).

But, it was kind of amazing how fast everything would go. After a couple hundred years wouldnt be all that much left.

And given how the documentary ended. Nevertheless, I got to create a religion based on the worship of the 4 Gods of Rushmore. ;)

I watched it. And I was actually getting ready to start a thread of my own about it. As for post-apoc, I think it would work better for a disease-driven extinction of human than a more destructive case (given the premise). Watching it would be a way to get a good, gritty, realistic setting for a scenario where their are few humans left. (Say 99.9% got wiped out).

But, it was kind of amazing how fast everything would go. After a couple hundred years wouldnt be all that much left.

And given how the documentary ended. Nevertheless, I got to create a religion based on the worship of the 4 Gods of Rushmore. ;)

In was interesting. I enjoyed it. Yeah, Superplague works. Zombies might lead to something similar, if a bit more destroyed.

It was interesting, although it was never stated how or why every human disappeared simultaneously. There weren't even any corpses.

Still, nothing beats watching postapocalyptic shows when you're bedridden! :ugly:

Yeah, the just disappeared thing did bothered me too. If nothing else the rats could've have ate the human corpses to live for a bit (not to mention other pests could)

I guess if you wanted to include corpses you could think on The Stand a bit. :thumbup:

It was interesting, although it was never stated how or why every human disappeared simultaneously. There weren't even any corpses.

Still, nothing beats watching postapocalyptic shows when you're bedridden! :ugly:

If you go with plague, the survivors bury the dead - moving on to mass graves pretty swiftly - and as the population falls to the point where nobody is bothering to bury the dead any more, you're also down to the point where the number of corpses lying around can be swiftly taken care of by rats and hungry, unfed cats and dogs.

Haven't seen the program, it just sounded plausible......

cheers, Mark

One reason I said 99.9% was when you put things in perspective of the Earth population basically 6.5 billion down to 6.5 million would be the premise of that. I mean look at NYC 10 million people. That would still leave about 10,000. That can be a decent sized town. So, large cities could go on (if they can get rid of the bodies. :idjit:). Depending on whose left could still have power possibly if their are surviving electricians. Course in a rural area: Wipe out. My county at last census had 60,000 people that would leave 60 people. :eek: We'd be forced into either migration on pioneer living. Course with migration I could see congregation to the NYCs and DCs.

Course, I might stay where I am at. And live out my days as a wacky hermit. Living on canned goods until I hone up my huntin' skillz

:P

I would go with the released Bio-Hazard / Plague idea that 90% death, and 5 % Mutation, and the rest 5 % unaffected. Then set the PAH about 20 yrs after it all came down.

Penn

Not a bad idea. Though I like to wipe the pop. down to 1/100 or 1/1000 surviving. (yes, I'm evil :eg:)

Aw' date=' man. All the good ideas are taken. So much for my Operation: L. Ron Hubbard. :o[/quote']

It was a really cool story. The premise was that North America had reverted to barbarism sometime around 2020 and all records had been lost. Centuries later anthropologists try to reconstruct the history of Old America using the oral histories of the inhabitants. What results is the epic tale of General Washington (General is his first name) doing battle with the British Red Indian Army, weilding his magic sword Valleyforge and an amulet of stars made by the sorceress Betsy Ross and with his allies Lafayette DeGaulle and Duke Waynejohn. He has to do battle with Mt. Rushmore at one point.

I wish I could remember the name of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

One reason I said 99.9% was when you put things in perspective of the Earth population basically 6.5 billion down to 6.5 million would be the premise of that. I mean look at NYC 10 million people. That would still leave about 10,000.

With bioevents the death toll isn't evenly distributed. Areas with higher population density get hit harder because of the increased opportunity for contagion. Hicksvilles can be left entirely untouched or wiped out to the last individual.

• 2 weeks later...

The collapse of civilisation will do that anyway.

I doubt that. Historical population estimates have 60 million or more people (1/100 present) as far back as 500 BC. I doubt a collapse of civilization would go that far. And there were more than 6 million estimated before the invention of writing and possibly much further back. To get below that level would definitely take a lot more than just a civilization collapse.

• 2 weeks later...

The human race doesn't necessarily have to die to create a post-apoc situation -- what if they all just disappeared (via some rubber-science) or simply left (a la the rapture)? I always liked the short story in the Martian Chronicles about the guy who stayed behind on Mars when everyone else returned to Earth because of World War III. I also like the story about the desperate return to Mars by a selected few families who survived the war. In each case, you've got people trying to live in the ghost towns on the bones of a former civilization and realizing that they now are free to make their own...

By the way, the show was cool enough for me to order it on DVD.

Matt "This-Empty-Earth" Frisbee