Hand-to-hand stun weapon

Doc

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a hand-to-hand stun weapon for a heroic sci-fi campaign but I'm not sure about the best way to do it.

Would it be a hand-to-hand attack with a custom limitation, stun only or maybe an energy blast without any range?

What do you think about this? Or do you have any better ideas?

Thank you very much.

Re: Hand-to-hand stun weapon

I'm looking to build a hand-to-hand stun weapon or a heroic sci-fi campaign but I'm not sure about the best way to do it.

That depends largely on what you want it to do.

Would it be a hand-to-hand attack with a custom limitation' date=' stun only[/quote']

Using a Hand Attack means STR makes the attack more powerful. Does the weapon you envision need to be thrust or swung to be effective, with greater force directing it enhancing the damage it will do?

or maybe an energy blast without any range?

That one would be unaffected by STR, perhaps a device that generates an electrical charge when touched to the target. Hitting the target harder with this device serves no purpose. Is that what you're looking for?

What do you think about this? Or do you have any better ideas?

Many such devices we see in various genres seem to affect everyone equally, with no regard for conventional defenses. If that's what you envision, an NND or an AVLD may serve best. Is it intended to be fatal? A Killing Attack may work better for an attack that carves through flesh.

If you want specific answers, you're going to need to provide more specifics of the attack you envision.

There are many ways to do this of course, and I wont waste time on the obvious ones, but something you might give some thought to is building it as a NND or AVLD Naked Power Advantage applied to up to X STR (where X is whatever seems appropriate to your campaign). Call it a "force magnifier" or something.

Another unusual way to do it is as a small Drain vs STUN with an extended Fade rate and use it via a MPA strike + drain. Very few people will have Power Defense in the typical heroic level campaign, and the effects of the Drain will last for a bit, leaving the target groggy or incapacitated. A variant of this is to make the Drain vs INT instead, for an attack that disorients and mentally incapacitates instead, potentially leaving the target technically conscious but in a fugue.

Thanks guys, it is now very clear to me.

As it was supposed to be some immaterial dagger (a neural dagger, as it is called in the universe I'm transposing into Hero Sys), I decided to build it as an EB without range.

It goes like this:

Neural Dagger: Energy Blast 3d6, No Normal Defense (doesn't work against energy fields), Stun Only (+0), (30 APs); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), 10 charges (-1/4)

Thanks again!

. . . Hey, Doc, as Thia pointed out -- NNDs only do STUN Damage by default, so the STUN Only Disad is rather unnecessary.

My face is rather fetchingly red.

Awrr... Indeed. Sorry about that, but anyway, as it is a +0 advantage, it doesn't change the cost or APs.

I beg for your forgiveness, oh great TH! :hail:

One of the things I was thinking about for a stunner is that you rarely see them do a partial stun - they either take people out or they dont. I went to the book looking for an all-or-nothing limitation but didn't find one.

What do you think the value would be for such a limitation? I can't work out what I think...

Doc

PS: dont do the worship thing for Thia, it makes him impossible for weeks! :P

If you're only looking to Stun opponents, not KO them, mebbe an Instant STUN Suppress would work. Being Instant, it'll only reduce the target's STUN score for an instant (so they won't be easier to KO after being hit), but if it Suppresses more STUN than the target has CON, they'll be Stunned. If it doesn't, nothing happens.

One of the things I was thinking about for a stunner is that you rarely see them do a partial stun - they either take people out or they dont. I went to the book looking for an all-or-nothing limitation but didn't find one.

What do you think the value would be for such a limitation? I can't work out what I think...

Doc

PS: dont do the worship thing for Thia, it makes him impossible for weeks! :P

All-Or-Nothing is under Transform. It's worth -1/2 for that Power.

I would go with that.

All-Or-Nothing is under Transform. It's worth -1/2 for that Power.

I would go with that.

That was my first thought, my second was that all or nothing might be more limiting for a stun causing power.

If you are one of a group attacking an opponent, all of you using transform attacks, the small amounts of effect getting through from each person are not cumulative to the final effect. For stun causing effects they normally are.

All or nothing therefore might be worth -3/4 or -1

Doc

If you're only looking to Stun opponents' date=' not KO them, mebbe an Instant STUN Suppress would work. Being Instant, it'll only reduce the target's STUN score for an instant (so they won't be easier to KO after being hit), but if it Suppresses more STUN than the target has CON, they'll be Stunned. If it doesn't, nothing happens.[/quote']

Would that work? I'm still pretty new to the system, but I assumed that negatives taken from adjustment powers wouldn't work like taking actual damage for the purposes of stunning an opponent. If people think this works, I may need to pitch it as an idea to my GM... it would actually work pretty well for my character.

:eek::eek::eek:

- revxopher

Would that work? I'm still pretty new to the system, but I assumed that negatives taken from adjustment powers wouldn't work like taking actual damage for the purposes of stunning an opponent. If people think this works, I may need to pitch it as an idea to my GM... it would actually work pretty well for my character.

:eek::eek::eek:

- revxopher

this question was answered in the old thread that I posted a link to earlier. :D