HERO Noob, be gentle

TylinV

I had a couple experiences with Champions at GenCon back in the late 80's, but the group I gamed with at the time didn't have enough interest to try it out. Now the interest is there, and we're getting set to give it a try! I wanted to peruse the forums to make sure I was understanding the rules before jumping in, but it's pretty clear that most of the people (if not all) are far from first timers :). Mostly I'm looking for a spot anyone can post replies, as I doubt anything we dream up in the near future would require Mr. Long's direct input :). So my question is, is this the spot for newbie questions, or is there a separate space for really basic stuff?

Re: HERO Noob, be gentle

I had a couple experiences with Champions at GenCon back in the late 80's' date=' but the group I gamed with at the time didn't have enough interest to try it out. Now the interest is there, and we're getting set to give it a try! I wanted to peruse the forums to make sure I was understanding the rules before jumping in, but it's pretty clear that most of the people (if not all) are far from first timers :). Mostly I'm looking for a spot anyone can post replies, as I doubt anything we dream up in the near future would require Mr. Long's direct input :). So my question is, is this the spot for newbie questions, or is there a separate space for really basic stuff?[/quote']

Welcome aboard! This is a fine place to post any general rules questions... I would suggest the Champions forum for supers specific questions, mostly because you get more supers types over there. But all in all this is pretty friendly forum.

Welcome aboard! This is a fine place to post any general rules questions... I would suggest the Champions forum for supers specific questions' date=' mostly because you get more supers types over there. But all in all this is pretty friendly forum.[/quote']Since when? We've been trying to run you off for 2200+ posts. ;)

Greetings!

Yep, this is a good stop to ask all kinds of generalized questions about HERO.

The Genre forums are good for genre-specific aspects, like how to use the rules to simulate specific concepts.

NGD is for crazy people. And sheep.

Ask as many questions as you want. We have answers. Lots of them.

I have LOTS of answers. I can't guarantee they'll be good' date=' right or even related to your questions. But they're still answers.[/quote']

Shhhhh.....:tsk: He isn't supposed to know that yet :sneaky:

By the way Doc....your avatar is great :thumbup:

Yay, someone to ask questions! We love that kind. This forum is basically the opposite of Open-Source-communities. Instead of forcing everyone to read every single detail before they are even allowed to ask a question, we generally require only that you ask questions. If you cannot find a certain rule, usually someone will give you a page number roughly three minutes after asking. Nope, I'm not joking.

Of cource, you'll get seven other page numbers too which are related, and two more which are not but nontheless very interesting.

Here at the HERO Games forums we not only welcome stupid questions, we specialize in them!

Um....no, wait, that's not quite it....

Ah well, enough with trying to be clever. Yes, this is the right place for questions, noobish or otherwise. The scary part of these boards is not that you wont get an answer or be flamed off or verbally abused. The scary part is you'll usually get many different, sometimes mutually exclusive answers, and most of them are probably some competitive degree of "right" but rarely is any one answer the definitive one. You'll get used to it.

Here at the HERO Games forums we not only welcome stupid questions' date=' we [b']specialize [/b]in them!

Um....no, wait, that's not quite it....

Ah well, enough with trying to be clever. Yes, this is the right place for questions, noobish or otherwise. The scary part of these boards is not that you wont get an answer or be flamed off or verbally abused. The scary part is you'll usually get many different, sometimes mutually exclusive answers, and most of them are probably some competitive degree of "right" but rarely is any one answer the definitive one. You'll get used to it.

Should we warn him that a argument will start over which (normaly equaly valid) way is best? or just let him find out the hard way?

Should we warn him that a argument will start over which (normaly equaly valid) way is best? or just let him find out the hard way?

Ack. That is not right at all. It is a discussion, not an argument.

Admit it! You are wrong and I am right mmmuuuhahahahahahhah! :eg:

:D

I had a couple experiences with Champions at GenCon back in the late 80's' date=' but the group I gamed with at the time didn't have enough interest to try it out. Now the interest is there, and we're getting set to give it a try! I wanted to peruse the forums to make sure I was understanding the rules before jumping in, but it's pretty clear that most of the people (if not all) are far from first timers :). Mostly I'm looking for a spot anyone can post replies, as I doubt anything we dream up in the near future would require Mr. Long's direct input :). So my question is, is this the spot for newbie questions, or is there a separate space for really basic stuff?[/quote']

What they said :)

Couple of things though: First, really think about the sort of game you want and think about some character build guidelines. Requiring everyone to have SPD 4, for instance (and doing the same with GM characters) can allow you to (largely) ignore the speed table, which some people take a while to get their heads around. Also limiting maximum defences is a good way to ensure that combat doesn't take about 11 hours.

Second, don't look it up while you are playing unless you REALLY need to know. Even then you are often better making it up and looking it up after to check. Constantly refering to the rule book really slows play, even though THS has the best index of any rpg, ever.

Have fun.