Character Assistance Please

Asperion

I would like to get the assistance of all you great herophiles.

He is a normal person in a world filled with supers. The concept is that his ability to hit anything with anything thrown is nearly flawless. He hires himself out as a merc and has gained a powerful reputation and comfortable lifestyle in doing so.

The thing that I am looking for is what skills and abilities he would possess as well as any possible disads that go along with him and a good name that he would have been given rather than giving himself (this is mostly to make it easier to hide from the authorities that are hunting him).

Background:

As a young man Samual Saulin was nothing more than the common street rat. He always desired for more than he could get off the dirty and filthy streets that he called home. The only thing that he was ever any good at was throwing things. As a result he would go into throwing contests and usually would come in if not first place among the top three. By doing this he was able to get noticed and go into a life as a mercinary. Today he will always come in first place in these competitions, in fact he actually feels that they are beneath him most of the time.

As a "normal" the easiest way to do this is;

1) No stats above 20. He's "normal."

2) A multipower containing a PD EB and a PD RKA, defined as throwing objects of opportunity. Probably worth at least a -1/2 on the MP control cost. Other limits might be Real Weapons (-1/4, limits damage to what the GM feels that object could actually do), maybe recoverable charges if he has a lot of trouble finding appropriate things to throw. Talk to your GM.

3) Lots and lots of combat skill levels. Levels with his MP, Penalty levels vs. range modifiers, Penalty levels vs. Hit Locations if your GM allows them.

4) Find Weakness might work.

5) Combat luck and/or body armor to keep him alive. A few dice of luck might also help.

So he never misses with thrown objects. How aout "Bullseye"? ;)

HERO is down on "never misses" or even "almost never misses", because of game balance. I'd suggest that misses against characters are defined as "they dodged out of the way". This is just a special effect of the power, the defender doesn't need to make a dodge or anything. If you've seen "Daredevil", you will know what I mean.

Give him Martial Arts (unless you want him to be really easily beaten in a hand-to-hand fight) and Lightning Reflexes.

For a name, how about "Dead On" or "Dead Center"? If he's a mercenary, he'll need a tough-sounding name.

Bank Shots

Don't forget to buy at least one power with Indirect so you can do bank shots and other fancy throws. You could also use Missile Reflection to send stuff back , Area of Effect to simulate throwing a bunch of smaller stuff, or to simulate incredible skill just buy an extra EB/RKA witht he limitation "only with thrown objects"

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

So he never misses with thrown objects. How aout "Bullseye"? ;)

HERO is down on "never misses" or even "almost never misses", because of game balance. I'd suggest that misses against characters are defined as "they dodged out of the way". This is just a special effect of the power, the defender doesn't need to make a dodge or anything. If you've seen "Daredevil", you will know what I mean.

Or call it "one hex area", the basis being he's so accurate that, unless the target dives for cover out of the hex, he will hit.

Give him Martial Arts (unless you want him to be really easily beaten in a hand-to-hand fight) and Lightning Reflexes.

For a name, how about "Dead On" or "Dead Center"? If he's a mercenary, he'll need a tough-sounding name.

Crackshot or Deadshot are others with a bit of history, but these more connect with firearms. How about "50" (the point value of a double bullseye in darts) or "Sure Thing" (since we all know it can't miss if it's a sure thing). No brilliant name ideas here, obviously...

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Or call it "one hex area", the basis being he's so accurate that, unless the target dives for cover out of the hex, he will hit.

Crackshot or Deadshot are others with a bit of history, but these more connect with firearms. How about "50" (the point value of a double bullseye in darts) or "Sure Thing" (since we all know it can't miss if it's a sure thing). No brilliant name ideas here, obviously...

1 Hex is a good idea, but then it hits everyone in the hex. Unless you make it selective in some way. Then you need to roll to hit the target again! It's good for simulating lots of small thrown things in a hex, as Fur Face suggested.

Not sure how fast he throws, but consider giving him Autofire options on his throwing multipower.

I avoided Crackshot and Deadshot for just those reasons. You're right; it's a tough one to name without going over old ground.

It might be easier if he had a particular signature weapon like knives or darts (but could use others, of course). Oh well.

Originally posted by Crimson Arrow

I avoided Crackshot and Deadshot for just those reasons. You're right; it's a tough one to name without going over old ground.

He's a "normal in a world full of supers."

Suggestions:

1) Deathwish. "You think your Laser Canon is any match for my pointy stick!"

2) Crunchy Dan. "There'll be a rematch! As soon as I get out of traction and complete my rehab, There Will Be A Rematch!"

3) The Optimist. "You! You're Eurostar! Come along quietly and no one will get hurt."

4) Normalman! "I have the proportionate strength of, well, me."

Originally posted by OddHat

He's a "normal in a world full of supers."

Suggestions:

1) Deathwish. "You think your Laser Canon is any match for my pointy stick!"

2) Crunchy Dan. "There'll be a rematch! As soon as I get out of traction and complete my rehab, There Will Be A Rematch!"

3) The Optimist. "You! You're Eurostar! Come along quietly and no one will get hurt."

4) Normalman! "I have the proportionate strength of, well, me."

The Pubmaster (see "Daredevil" for what I'm getting at). "Ha, Destroyer, you are no match for my paperclips and darts and thin..."ZZAP!

Thanks eveyone for all of your great suggestions. I would like for everyone to keep them coming in. Here is how things currently stant for this character.

Crackshot

15 STR 12- 3d6 END 1

20 DEX 13-

20 CON 13-

15 BODY 12-

19 PRE 13-

10 COM 11-

5 PD

4 ED

9 REC

50 END

33 STUN

Skills

Dirty Infighting Package

+10 Range CSL: Thrown Only; OCV Only

+6 CSL: MP

+10 PSL: Range

+8 PSL: Targeting

+6 PSL: Throwing

Ranged Two Weapon Fighting

Breakfall 14-

Streetwise 13-

Gambling 13-

Powers/Talents

Absolute Range Sense

Ambidesterity

Combat Luck: 6 PD/ 6 ED

Lightning Reflexes (Thrown Objects) +5

Find Weakness (Any Thrown) 11-

Leather Suit: Armor (6/6): Hardened (AP/Pen); 13- Activation; OIF

MP: Objects of Opportunity; Range Based on STR

- 8d6 EB (PD)

- 5D6 EB (PD): AE (Hex)

- 5d6 EB (PD): AP

- 2.5D6 RKA

- 1.5D6 RKA: AE (Hex)

- 1.5D6 RKA: AP

Disadvantages

Hunted: FBI: More Powerful; NCI; Imprison

Hunted: IRS: More Powerful; NCI; Imprison

Enraged: Misses: Uncommon; 14- 8-

Overconfidence: Very Common; Moderate

Venfeful: Uncommon; Strong

Normal Stats

Mystery

Background:

As a young man Samual Saulin was nothing more than the common street rat. He always desired for more than he could get off the dirty and filthy streets that he called home. The only thing that he was ever any good at was throwing things. As a result he would go into throwing contests and usually would come in if not first place among the top three. By doing this he was able to get noticed and go into a life as a mercinary. Today he will always come in first place in these competitions, in fact he actually feels that they are beneath him most of the time.

I would like for you to point out any errors with him and to create ways that he could be created more efficiently. If anyone has Disad suggestions I would like to hear them. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I don't think I saw anyone mention "No Range Penalty" advantage. That'd be one that could come in handy, and save on some CSLs or Range PSLs.

Of course, if the range is based on STR (probably should be), then PSLs might be more cost effective, depending on the AP of the power.

A neat throwing trick I always liked from The Vikings, is making a "ladder" from objects (axes in this case) thrown into a handy wall. Not sure how to write that one up. Clinging with usable by others might work, or maybe a Change Environment that gives a Climbing bonus...beats me. Maybe a Power Skill: Throwing used in conjunction with an appropriate thrown object would work, though if it's a routine thing, the GM would probably want points paid for it.

Spike on X-Men Evolution had another handy use for thrown objects, which was to throw a spike in a wall below a falling object to catch it. Uh, can't think of how to write that one up, other than limited TK, maybe.

Swinglines/Climbing lines can be carried by thrown objects (batarang, anyone?).

As for a name.... dang, Marvel already used the most obvious, and DC the second most obvious.