What kind of gamer are you?

Dauntless

I found an excellent series of articles discussing aspects of play style and game design that's very intriguing and helped me understand player needs and my own game design much better.

In a nutshell, there are 3 basic types of gamers:

Gamists: The best way to describe these kinds are the powergamers...the ones who revel in challenge and like the concept of "winning". They desire balance so that they know things were equal, showing that it was their skill or wise selection in abilities that made them prevail. The perverse manifestations of this kind are the loop-hole exploiters.

Narrativists: These are the dramatic license people. Rules are just there to get run over when the story requires it. Indeed, with good roleplayers, rules aren't even necessary. Improvisation and the desire to tell a good yarn is the main motivation of this kind. How a story is told is the first priority, with a close second of what the story tells as being the most important goals of roleplaying.

Simulationists: Simulationists want logical consistency in both the rules of the game as well as the setting they play in (not necessarily realism, though that is often the case) in their games. They want it so that they can use the rules to explore the world created for them. Imagine Middle-Earth for example, while it was fantasy, everything was intricately laid out. Their primary concern is in imaginging possibilities...bounded by the constraints of the system they play in (and by system, I mean both the rules and the setting of the game).

I actually already understood in a not-so-codified way these kinds of gamers, but having it spelled out really helped me understand a gamer's needs.

So, why am I talking about this in the Hero System Discussion instead of general roleplaying? Because I think each kind of gamer group can and should realize these elements with regard to the Hero System rules, character design, world building, and play style. It crosses all genres, and it affects everything from top to bottom.

How to modify the Hero System?

Gamist: They want everything calculated to the half character point. They are going to scour the rulebooks for every tactical advantage they can. As a GM, if you feel that certain conditions may give a minus to this kind of player, more than likely he's going to balk and ask where it says so in FREd. So the GM will need to cater to this by creating "balanced" fights and also watching out for rules-abuse. Gamists aren't so much interested in the game setting and game world as in the concept of taking whatever is available, and beating people with it. Setting and backdrop can make it more appealing however, so it shouldn't be ignored even for this gamer type.

narrativists: Aren't so keen about what a character can do, as who they are, and how they do it. It's not enough for these types to say, "I throw a fast strike, with an OCV of 8 versus your DCV of 6". Instead they'll say something like, "after watching the cadence of your moves, I deftly sidestep when you attempt to lunge and smash my backfist into your temple as you come across". For many narrativists, to-hit rolls, damage rolls, and the effects of such are irrelevant...it's the telling that's important. For these players, point totals can be a drag, since they may not create a character that fits their concept. Unlike the Gamist who wants more points to create more powerful characters, the Narrativist may want more points in order to capture the essence of their character. As a GM, you may need to decide whether it's "fair" (a Gamist or even a Simulationist may balk at giving away free points and consider this "unfair", while a Narrativist may not consider it unfair as long as everyone plays in character....afterall, would playing a pauper have as many character points as playing a Prince?). Setting and mood are also very important for this gamer type. The game world will influence how characters are played, so the two tend to go hand in hand.

Simulationists: The key here is consistency. Point totals aren't as important as they are to the Gamist, but they do still have a role in making things fit logically or making them consistent (if a knife does more damage than a bullet for the same amount of points....the Simulationist is going to think its silly without a good explanation). Simulationists require a dramatic exploration much like the narrativist, but the Simulationist, unlike the Narrativist, cares about the rules. They want to explore within the framework of rules and game world around him. Simulationists tend to be realists, so rules may have to be modified accordingly. For example, the debates raging around the effectiveness of armor in FH, or how to minimize getting stunned all the time in melee battles are important to this gaming personality. They are important to the Gamist too...but for different reasons (the Gamist doesn't like the thought of someone having an advantage over his character concept....the Simulationist doesn't care if something is more advantageous or not so long as it models world reality consisently and within the terms of that game setting). The setting is perhaps the most important for this gamer type, since the setting is the sandbox in which the simulationist plays. The more intricate and detailed the setting, the more fun they will have. The setting must also be consistent, and it has to make sense given all the factors of the world.

So, has anyone ever modified how characters were created, the rules from Hero, or anything else to cater to these kinds of gamers? I think the Hero System itself strongly caters to the Gamist type. Afterall, the whole concept of balancing powers and character point totals appeals to those who want things to be equal and fair. Even looking at the forums, I'd say the large percentage of personality types are either Gamist or Simulationist-Gamist (leaning towards Gamist). That's not to say that the Hero System can't be used for Narrativist style or Simulationist styles of play, but it was definitely born from a Gamist perspective.

Check out these articles from The Forge for more discussions about these "archtypes":

Simulationism

Gamism

GNS and roleplaying theory

BTW, I think I'm about 60% Simulationist, 30% Narrativist, and about 10% Gamist. So it's possible to be a blend of styles, but usually one will seriously dominate the others.

I originally come from a wargame background, in which the whole point was about simulation and gaming. But for me, the fun part about recreating historical battles wasn't winning (the Gamist perspective) but in considering all the what-if and possibilities that could be done (the Simulationist approach). The Gamist and Simulationist do share concerns about tactics, strategies and the composition of forces...but again for different reasons. The Gamist considers strategy and tactics as a means to an end....victory. The Simulationist may consider tactics and strategy an end unto itself, an exploration into how things are done. But to a Narrativist, none of these are as important as the effects they had on the lives of the soldiers or citizens, how those soldiers fought (bravely or cowardly)...or the ramifications of the battle itself.

Because the Hero System is built primarily from a Gamist-Simulationist perspective (leaning towards gamist in my opinion), I think this affects the level of enjoyment different players will have. The great strength of the Hero System is of course it's logical consistency in the rules (which is what appeals to me as a Simulationist gamer), such that it can be tweaked in a great variety of ways to produce meaningful results. Just look at Star Hero and Fantasy Hero for guidelines on tweaking FREd rules to get the right feel and flavor of the genre you want.

I really think further genre books would take great benefit by looking at genre possibilities and rules modifications/expansions in this light.

Well, based on the criteria listed above, I would rate myself as such:

Gamist: 10%

Simulationist: 40%

Narrativist: 50%

While oftentimes my discussions with others on this board make me seem more Simulationist than Narrativist, thats just when discussing "The Rules". When I actually play or GM, I'm all about The Story.

Ok, I like to think that I have a good mixture.

I've argued for dramatic license when rules are getting in the way of a valid non-combat concept. It costs X and we'll handwave the rest. Since new ideas are rare in Champions, I tend to want to preserve them using dramatic license.

I like the simulation qualities of Hero Games. I don't want to hear, "You hit him." I want to hear, "You hit him in the head, 'AAAGGHHH!'" or "You hit him in the head, the shot bounces off, 'Ha ha ha. Puny man, you can't stop me. No one can stop me!'" We are encouraged by the GM to really focus on the details to invoke imagination.

And yeah, I got an inner powergamer. "I bought this as 4D6+1, just so I can push it to 5 dice. Take 5 dice! DIE VILLIANOUS SCUM! Yeah, I made my EGO roll, Eww, 19 END, you can smell the ozone as I burn away that soul energy. 20 BODY and 20 STUN. What he's still standing??? One more time. Pushing again for 5 dice. Yeah, made it, even with the house rule of additional minuses because we push all the time. WITH MY LAST BREATH, I WILL FIGHT YOU! 15 BODY and 45 STUN. Another 19 END, rolling STUN loss. Yeap, that did it. I'm unconscious."

Great thread!

I think I'm about 80% Narrativist. The story, the drama, the character's personality are all very important to me. I love to try to really put myself in the character's shoes.

I'm the kind of gamer who thinks a lot in terms of symbolical meaning too. The story, the plot, the character, they all have to mean something. And the superhero genre, particularly, is wonderful in dealing with metaphor.

And I usually like to have stories custom-designed for the PCs. Like in a movie or a novel. I dislike the "simulationist/gamist" approach of creating characters totally independently of the world and the adventure and then throwing everything together.

More realistic in a way yes, but I'm not one for this kind of realism.

Nonetheless, I have my gamer and simulationist sides too, though they're not very dominant. I like to tweak the rules to depict well a character concept or situation and I usually dislike just waiving all the rules (though many times I find it necessary to be flexible in the interest of drama). So I'd say I have about 10% of simulationist and 10% of gamist.

Great thread.

I'd rate myself:

50% Simulationist

30% Gamist

20% Narrativist

In Hero, "Simulation" needs to be clarified: what it simulates is heroic fiction, not strict reality. Someone's sig here states that nicely. The primary thing that drew me into RPGs long ago was the idea of being able to quantify everything. Instead of just make-believe of "my character is strong and tough while yours is an intelligent wizard", I had actual numbers to go by. For a math geek with imagination, it was the Shangri-La of games.

Gamist translates to "powergamer". Yeah, I have a streak of that. I like to play powerful characters. However, all those efficiently spent points MUST be within a well-defined concept, otherwise it's just an exercise in simple arithmetic.

Narrativist is actually linked to Simulation. Good heroic fiction has a story, and that is what is being simulated. However, I do understand why they are listed separately here - it seems to have more to do with gaming styles than strict interpretation of the terms. To me, once again, it's a meaningless exercise in simple arithmetic if there isn't some sort of story behind it. However, I do derive the most enjoyment from the number-crunching. It's just not enough in and of itself to make a good game.

When I was younger, I was prolly a 50% Simulationist, 40% Gamist, 10% Narrativist. Im a Libra ;) so I like balance, but I also like efficiency. I specifically dont exploit loopholes -- thats to far into metagame thinking, but within concept and within internal consistency boundaries, I do squeeze every last advantage out of something. Tweak tweak tweak until its "just right" -- which it never is. Did I mention Im also a perfectionist?

The setting and the continuity have always been majorly important to me however, even when I was playing red box D&D as a kid. Everything needed to make sense in context. To me clever game manipulation wasnt twisting another +1 to hit or whatever, it was using elements in the setting to my advantage (Simulationist-Gamist pretty high at that point).

As I got older I shifted to more of a 50% Sim, 40% Nar, 10% Gam. Im much more interested in the setting and how the characters interact in it than I am in who has the bigger damage-causing implement. Its all about in-character and appropriate to the setting for me. The last vestiges of Gamist in me are that I still make very efficient (but legal) characters, and I want my character to be potent in the context of the game. Im not enough of a Nar to be interested in playing a 6 year old child or a useless shield-carrier "for the challenge of it all". I also believe in self-policing. I want to be good enough to make an impact and make a contribution to the group, but I dont want to be so good it forces the GM to point-scale the opposition to resist it and thus creating an arms race.

One of my players is a hardcore Gamist -- maybe 95% Gamist -- and some of his point whoring system tweaks really irritate me because to my perspective whats the purpose of making a soulless uninteresting pile of numbers, with abilities completely out of line with whats appropriate to the setting or the power level of the other PCs? Definitely different perspectives....

And I kinda disagree that HERO is heaven only for gamists and simulationists. :) No doubt it's very through system has it's appeals to those kinds of gamers, but it offers something a narrativist (though a narrativist who still mantain a certain level of interest in the rules, of course) considers very important: flexibility.

Most other systems restrict you to certain classes, a certain style of game (GURPS = realism), or a certain kind of background. HERO is the game for those narrativists who want to re-create their favorite novel or movie. I also always found HERO keeps working wonderfully when you want to discard/don't use more complicated rules, because it has a very solid basic core of rules.

And I have enough of a simulationist in me to have my creativity sparked by a system so flexible as HERO. Of course a 100% narrativist would have no use for the HERO system. But then again, a 100% narrativist don't need a system

I think some of the new Hero5E rules when mixed with the Gamist mindset makes binary poison for a campaign: Megascale, Sweep(ing one opponent), Multipower Attacks, Naked Power Advantages. I feel like GM Van Helsing waving my Narrativist fetish in one hand, my Simulationist in the other, trying to keep Gamist Dracula at bay during chargen.

Simulationist: 50%

Narativist: 40%

Gamist: 10%

Like Killer Shrike, I was almost a pure Gamist when I started playing. I think GMing started pushing me more into the Simulationist and Narativist camps many years back. I still tend to put a lot of stock into The Rules, more than I probably should, but my main goal as GM or player is to make the story as good as it can be. My gamist aspect comes through in my love for absurdly point efficient characters and cheesy tactics (Invisibility coupled with invisible power effects attacks...). I don't use them much, but the urge is always there. ;)

And I kinda disagree that HERO is heaven only for gamists and simulationists. No doubt it's very through system has it's appeals to those kinds of gamers, but it offers something a narrativist (though a narrativist who still mantain a certain level of interest in the rules, of course) considers very important: flexibility.

Totally agreeing with you. When I used GURPS, I pretty much had to choose powers from a list. If I wanted to include something new, for story purposes or whatever reason, I would have to handwave it pretty often.

This isn't a problem with Hero because it's designed for flexibility with balance. It lets my inner narrativist and gamist cooperate.

Narritivist: 50%

Gamist: 25%

Simulationist: 25%

I was thinking about the very first time I played the original Star Wars game from West End Games, and how everyone in the group but one wanted to play a Jedi. From that group, I'd say two were powergamers, two were simulationists, and the other two were narrativists. The narrativists loved the idea of playing a Jedi because of the roleplaying opportunities of having to control one's emotions and the constant struggle between the dark and light side. As for me being in the Simulationist camp, I wanted to see what it would be like to have powers beyond human ken, and how they would affect my playing of that character and others reactions towards my character. The powergamers simply felt that being jedi would allow you to be more powerful. The lone exception was the other simulationist (although he was borderline sim-narrative) since he had his heart set on playing a fighter pilot.

But the thing that struck me as absurd was that Jedi are supposed to be rare. The gift of Force sensitivity is something extremely rare in the Star Wars universe. So having everyone in the group wanting to play one struck me as odd and not consistent within the logical framework of the Star Wars universe. But that was the Simulationist in me speaking. The narrativist people had no problems about having lots of Jedi, and the powergamers were somewhat reluctant since they thought they had lost their ace-in-thehole, but on the other hand it was less likely that the NPC's they came up against would be more powerful (one of the gamists was what I'd call a good powergamer...he wanted to gain his objective, whether it be money, victory, possession of an item etc, for the benefit of the team as a whole...the other gamist was pretty much out for himself). But we eventually created a training cadre of the new class that skywalker was training...so that appeased my need for logical consistency to explain why practically everyone in our group was a rare jedi.

I've been thinking about a similar sort of issue in Fantasy Hero concerning magic use. Depending on your game world, if magic is rare but powerful, the different kind of gamers will want it for different reasons, and the GM may have to plan accordingly. I wouldn't mind giving a character like Gandalf to a Narrativist (as long as he wasn't a power-hungry narrativist)...I'd think twice about giving a Simulationist a character like that, and I wouldn't allow it at all to a Gamist. That's the narrativist in me, since I feel that who the character is more important than what he can do (given reasonable constraints...so it's a matter of trust). I feel that as long as the player can play the character in a manner which fits the game world (that's the simulationist in me) then I say let him play an "unbalancing" character.

In a Star Wars setting....according to my Simulationist mindset, Jedi are rare but are more powerful. If a player wants to play a Jedi character, let him, and let his character have more points than others. But to the gamist mindset, this might be unfair, unless either he wants to play a Jedi, or if he feels his fighter pilot character (say Wedge for example) should be built off as many points as a newly knighted Jedi. I think balancing constructs are primarily for the Gamist type....and to a lesser degree the Simulationists so that we can gauge whether something isn't quite right logically speaking (if STR 10 character can do more damage with a knife than a STR 20 character can with a broadsword....we're going to wonder what's going on and need a logical explanation of why...for example perhaps he's extremely skilled and bought extra DC to reflect his uncanny ability to target vital anatomy).

Sometimes I even find it more enjoyable to play lesser point characters versus slightly higher point characters (about no more than a 33% spread). Perhaps this is from my wargame background from playing the "losing side". For example, playing the confederates at Antietam and Fredricksburg, to the French at Borodino and Waterloo. There's a certain challenge in playing the underdog and "hopeless" character that's appealing to me.

The best scenario for a GM is that all his players are of one type...that way he can cater his games to that type. The trick is when everyone is different or all the players are balanced between gaming styles. Sometimes it's a bit harder to create a game world and customize the meta-rules to appease everyone...but I definitely think it can be done.

Hmm, it's a bit of a tough call for me, as I don't get much opportunity to actually play anymore.

I like to design efficient characters, regardless of the game system, and I have played characters that under the right circumstances can be over-powered... but character concept is paramount, and internal gameworld consistency is important too. My favourite character was a D&D character that I ported over from a Vampire: the Masquerade game for a Ravenloft (quasi-horror) campaign. Most of the time, she was useless -- don't ever let her near you with a first aid kit -- but under the right circumstances, she would frenzy and turn into a killing machine. Most combats she would sit out 3/4 of the fight, trying to stay out of combat, until one or two foolish mobs cornered her, and got shredded for their efforts in about 2 seconds flat.

When I'm designing Hero characters, character concept and efficient design are still the primary considerations. I'm not into powergaming in the sense of liking high-powered characters or crisis-style plotlines, but I do like to have characters that are both well-rounded and relatively powerful for the amount of points available. I also like a campaign to have limits enforced to ensure that certain expectations about the game can be validly held, and to help prevent overly abusive rules manipulations from occurring.

I guess I would say I'm about 40% Narrativist, 40% Simulationist, and 20% Gamist. Or maybe 45% Narrativist, 30% Simulationist, and 25% Gamist. Something like that, anyway. :)

The first message by Dauntless discussed the three archetypes of gamers and how they relate to players. But I was wondering if we can apply those archetypes to GMs too. Why not? I guess I can broadly classify all the GMs I had in those three categories too.

The Narrativist GM: This is the guy that, first and foremost, is telling a story. The Good Narrativist GM is the one that tells a story together with (and for the enjoyment of) the players. He'll take pains to let the characters affect the outcomes and the outcomes reflect the characters. Everything must "fit" dramatically. The Bad Narrativist GM is telling a story to the players and that is it. He'll accept no input and usually will have NPCs in the main roles, or if he allows the PCs to be in the spotlight, he will railroad the PCs mercilessly. Those guys are egotistical SOBs.

The Simulationist GM: This is the guy that creates his campaign as a beautiful architectonical piece. The Good Simulationist GM makes the players feel like they're part of this intrincate and highly-realized world, using his simulationist skills to enhance the enjoyment of the players. The Bad Simulationist GM is the "let the dice always fall where they may" guy that shows zero regret to kill the entire part because someone slipped and rolled bad or something. He isn't evil, he is just unemotional.

The Gamist GM: This is the guy that loves to challenge the players. The Good Gamist GM is a fair sportsman, he enjoys crafting fights, puzzles and encounters like that, but he will take into account the character's (and the player's) level of skill and will give them a fair chance. The Bad Gamist GM delights in torturing the players with nigh-impossible encounters. The worst specimens will not kill the characters. Instead, they'll have NPCs to save the day after hours and hours of frustration. And they'll laugh as the NPCs reveal how the characters should have acted to kill the monster/solve the puzzle. Those guys are evil.

I must say I prefer Narrativist GMs (and I'm a Narrativist GM myself too), though I have had some very good experiences with some Simulationist GMs. Hardcore Gamist GMs will either bore me (when they're easy enough for me to "beat") or make me feel like I'm doing a exam (when they're not easy to beat). Not fun.

As a player, I'm probably:

50% simulationist

40% narativist

10% Gamist

I'd rather the Narative be higher, but I'm not all that good at interaction part of the game.

As a GM I'm probably:

60% Narativist

20% Simulationist

20% Gamist

I'm a very free form GM and do little planning besides a broad outline. My games tend to be heavy on in party RPing and clearcut fights, light on NPC interatction.

As a player I am something like a 70% Narrativists adn 30% Gamist. .

A quick example of the three I remember reading somewhere... There is something in a group a buildings the PCs need. The simulationist picks one, and when the PCs find it, they find it. The narrativists picks the most dramatic point to have the characters find it, and a gamist picks which would challenge the players most.

For me it is all story and character. The trouble is I love HERO combat, and build combat monsters, so I am very much a gamist that way (although I detest logic problems and puzzles to solve, I can never do it). In some ways I am the combinations of worst player types. When building or designing characters I tend to minimax, and build really efficient characters. Then I have a really intricate background and complete personality, so when I play I completely forget abou the minimaxing and just play (which means I will do stupid things in character which a normal powergamer would never do), which can mean I am something of a spotlight hog (although I try and watch it, and back off). So in the end at worst I am a powergamer/attention stealer... however I am a long term GM so I watch myself, and back off on these tendencies, so I don't ruin things for anyone else.

Knowing the tendencies of a group can be helpful. Our group had me and two total narrativists, and a new player who is an almost complete simulationsist/gamist. He was always dissisfied with the combats, because tactics weren't a big deal. Then he ran a game that was an unmitigated disaster, because he GMed a simulationist/gamist approach and we all went narritivist, doing dramatically appropriate things that got us captured and worse.

We all realized what had happened, after some analysis. But had we "defined" ourselves it probably would not have happened.

Guest Keneton

50% gamist

10% narrativist

40 Simulationists.

My palyers are like minded in most cases. Dont get me wrong, I can role-play with the best of them but I like action too much to ignore mechanics and rules.

:D

Originally posted by Snarf

What about the Killing-Timeist? The guy you discover doesn't care much about any of those three things, doesn't know a lot about the game, and just uses it as an opportunity to be a jackass or occasionally kill stuff.

Those folks aren't even gamers. Sadly, I played with far too many of them. :(

I guess I should feel grateful that at least I've never had one of those nightmarish surreal experiences narrated in the "worst game experience" thread. I've been in few horrible games, but in a lot of mediocre ones, I guess.

Originally posted by Keneton

50% gamist

10% narrativist

40 Simulationists.

My palyers are like minded in most cases. Dont get me wrong, I can role-play with the best of them but I like action too much to ignore mechanics and rules.

Nothing wrong with that, but I have to say I like action too, even though I consider myself a narrativist. I have to admit I rather dislike that kind of narrativist game where all the characters spend all their time sipping at tea and discussing how they were abused when they were children.

The GM/players that really get my respect are the ones that can roleplay IN COMBAT. There is nothing better than a GM that can make a combat scene memorable from a storywise, character-driven point too. It's not easy.

Man, I was all set to say I was a simulationist, but then everyone had to go and break things down into percentages. I don't know how I fit now.

It seems to me, though, that narrativist and simulationist have significant overlap. When I was running my Lankhmar campaign, I stole adventure ideas from any source I could get my hands on, but most of them didn't make the cut, and many of those that did were altered considerably. A story in the wrong setting isn't a good story at all.

Guest Keneton

Sneeches!

It seems from comments on this board that the narativist are pointing fingers at the gamist like "We are the star-belly sneeches and were the best sneeches on the beaches! We've got stars on thars!"

I can role play with anyone. The genre is about KICKING BOOTY! If you want to talk about how your character makes pancakes and role play your trip to the car dealreship go ahead.

Conflict and tension drive stories. No conflict, no story. This is basic literature. After my villan stomps you a few times you will hate him. You will feel great when you defeat him. You will mean it when you shout "This is the last day you're reign of terror Superfiend. Today you will meet Justice!"

Mechanics bring reality to the game world. I dont ignore the rules to tell a story. A story makes sense when it flows within the rules. Do I bend them occasionaly, yes. Do I dismiss them out of hand, no.

Anyone that feels superior to me because they are in a group of role players look out. I have my cake and eat it too. Any player in Unearthed Mechana or Star Hero knows what I mean. A good GM does it all baby!

If you are the GM and your player runs the game...shame on you. You shouldnt be GM if you cant control your players. I just dont understand the Superhero game without combat. Its touch football. And the NFL is not touch football.

I see myself as mostly a narrativist. I like to do stuff with my character that I think is just cool. My particular playing style as a couple of friends have said is "style over substance." I'm currently in an Exhalted campaign and on of the optional rules that we use in the game is the "stunt rule" where you can get extra dice for actions based on how you describe them.