Doc Savage cover fakes

BigJackBrass

Re: Doc Savage cover fakes

A rather well presented series of "what if?" covers featuring the Man of Bronze:

Monsterverse

I'd rep you.....if I could. (Must. Spread. Rep. Around......)

Several of the covers remind me of some items mentioned in the Phillip Jose Farmer "biography" of Doc......Excellent find !!:thumbup:

-Carl-

Fabulous ! Have you ben raiding the Vatican's secret archive or something ?:thumbup:

No, just spending far too much time on the Internet looking for pulp goodies, since I've been off sick from work for a rather dull, uncomfortable week. Thank goodness for RPGs to read, eh? :D

A rather well presented series of "what if?" covers featuring the Man of Bronze:

Monsterverse

The Devil Doctor? :thumbup: That would have been a terrific whole series! Fu Manchu would be one of the few villains smart and capable enough to stymie Doc Savage. While his daughter threw herself at doc, it would be interesting to have Fu Manchu romancing Pat Savage . :rolleyes::eg:

Midas

Some years ago I read a novel "Twenty Years Beyond Baker Street" by Cay Van Ash (I think that was the name) which featured Sherlock Holmes oppossed to Dr Fu Manchu , it was fun. Now , of course Dr Fu was a doctor, and I think an expert in Chinese Medecine so there is no reason why he couldn't have found a version of "the elixer of immortality" and still be around, fit and healthy, in the 1930's. A real challenge for Doc and his crew to battle !

Some years ago I read a novel "Twenty Years Beyond Baker Street" by Cay Van Ash (I think that was the name) which featured Sherlock Holmes oppossed to Dr Fu Manchu ' date=' it was fun. Now , of course Dr Fu was a doctor, and I think an expert in Chinese Medecine so there is no reason why he couldn't have found a version of "the elixer of immortality" and still be around, fit and healthy, in the 1930's. A real challenge for Doc and his crew to battle ![/quote']

Well considering one of the Dr. Fu Manchu novels were actually set in the 1930's I'd say he already found the elixer. :D

Seriously though, wasn't that part of his backstory in the novels already?

Guest steamteck

Well considering one of the Dr. Fu Manchu novels were actually set in the 1930's I'd say he already found the elixer. :D

Seriously though, wasn't that part of his backstory in the novels already?

yes. The Elixir Vitae showed up in the novels. Obviously magical because without it Fu became his true age which was very very old.!

"Fu Manchu

“ Imagine a person, tall, lean and feline, high-shouldered, with a brow like Shakespeare and a face like Satan, ... one giant intellect, with all the resources of science past and present ... Imagine that awful being, and you have a mental picture of Dr. Fu-Manchu, the yellow peril incarnate in one man. –The Insidious Dr. Fu Manchu ”

A master criminal, Fu Manchu's murderous plots are marked by the extensive use of arcane methods; he disdains guns or explosives, preferring dacoits, Thuggee, and members of other secret societies as his agents armed with knives, or using "pythons and hamadryads... fungi and my tiny allies, the bacilli... my black spiders" and other peculiar animals or natural chemical weapons.

According to Cay Van Ash (a friend and biographer of Sax Rohmer, who wrote his own authorized pastiches Ten Years Beyond Baker Street and The Fires of Fu Manchu) "Fu Manchu" was a title of honor, which meant "the Warlike Manchu." It was thought that the character had been a member of the Imperial family who backed the losing side in the Boxer Rebellion. In the earliest books, Fu Manchu is an assassin sent on missions by the Si-Fan, but he quickly rises to become head of that dreaded secret society. At first, the Si-Fan's goal is to throw the Europeans out of Asia; later, the group attempts to intervene more generally in world politics, while funding itself by more ordinary crime. Dr. Fu Manchu has extended his already considerable lifespan by use of the elixir vitae, a formula he spent decades trying to perfect. When China falls to Communism, the Si-Fan and Fu Manchu fight to restore the China of old."

I hate to admit it but i've necer actually read a "Fu Manchu" story. (except the "pastiche" that I mentioned) I really should I suppose' date=' but i'd have to go out and buy them I guess.:o[/quote']

Nah. they're available as e-books. (I DL'd them years ago and don't recall quite where). Fair warning: They are extremely "purple" and grate on the post Hemingway ear. :rolleyes:

Midas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate to admit it but i've necer actually read a "Fu Manchu" story. (except the "pastiche" that I mentioned) I really should I suppose' date=' but i'd have to go out and buy them I guess.:o[/quote']

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Rohmer%2c%20Sax%2c%201883%2d1959

Try here first.