Unreal Darwin Awards

Shadowsoul

Re: Unreal Darwin Awards

I believe the whole video to be a cooperatively made spoof. At one point I believe I hear one of the players (not Leeroy) almost break into a fit of laughter as he says his line. Not to mention who calculates precise odds of success in something as inherently random as combat -- even if it was MMO combat?

Edit: But it's still funny IMO. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Stupid Death #104 - Using a Wish Spell.

We were on a large boat, by some strange happen stance had most, but not all, of the PCs on it. And none of the crew, somehow drifting off the docks and off into the sea.

After considering all other options, we decided that the only course was the old AD&D classic, the Wish Spell.

So, my character is fairly smart, so I knew what wouldn't work.

Wishing for the boat to go back to the shore would leave all the non-boat at the current position.

Wishing all the people on the boat back to the shore would transport the people, but abandon the boat.

We were not allowed to use the word "and" which would have made the whole wishing business a lot easier.

So, watching one too many episodes of Robotech, I gave up and wished that everything within 400 feet from the center of the boat would be teleported back to the docks.

A 400 foot radius bubble of water, boat, people and air teleported 400 feet in the air at the docks.

One PC at the docks made his saving throw and hit behind a rock for half damage.

This destroyed the one thing that the GM cared about, his carefully constructed map of the docks was no longer accurate.

Somehow my Ring of Feather Fall was dispelled, probably by a vengeful but unnamed deity.

We were on a large boat, by some strange happen stance had most, but not all, of the PCs on it. And none of the crew, somehow drifting off the docks and off into the sea.

After considering all other options, we decided that the only course was the old AD&D classic, the Wish Spell.

Wishing for the boat to go back to the shore would leave all the non-boat at the current position.

Wishing all the people on the boat back to the shore would transport the people, but abandon the boat.

We were not allowed to use the word "and" which would have made the whole wishing business a lot easier.

So, watching one too many episodes of Robotech, I gave up and wished that everything within 400 feet from the center of the boat would be teleported back to the docks.

A 400 foot radius bubble of water, boat, people and air teleported 400 feet in the air at the docks.

One PC at the docks made his saving throw and hit behind a rock for half damage.

This destroyed the one thing that the GM cared about, his carefully constructed map of the docks was no longer accurate.

Somehow my Ring of Feather Fall was dispelled, probably by a vengeful but unnamed deity.

It's the GM's fault for putting you in that situation in the first place along with forbidding the use of a single "and".

"I wish for this boat, together with all its current contents, to be safely moored back at the docks."

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I've told this one before, but my search-fu is too weak right now to hunt it down...

Car Wars: We were playing an Iditirod-like scenario, where the contestants have to deliver precious vaccine to a plague-ridden fortress city.

The player running a state tropper in a Mad-Max type Interceptor ended up losing control after a bad hit and rolling the car. He miraculously survived and crawled out of the wreckage, just in time to see the large semi (my vehicle) rapidly approaching him.

With no chance of getting out of the way, the trooper calmly drew his sidearm and fired his clip at the oncoming truck, with the expected results.

We voted that one the coolest death in the game. :D

WEG Star Wars Game:

I'm a slicer-turned rebel pilot with an impressive list of heroics in the name of the Rebellion. Teamed-up with the teams not-so-nice former bounty hunter, we've been left behind to guard the X-wings while the other squadron members go after our contact on a hostile planet.

We're hidden alongside another starship, smuggler's vessel. We grow bored so break into the smuggler ship and decide to steal his "cargo", a couple of kilos of high-grade coffee, worth a small fortune due to Imperial embargoes.

Needless to say we get caught by the owner and immediately get ourselves into a Bothan stand-off (kind of like a Mexican one but with blaster pistols). The Bounty hunter has a big nasty blaster rifle, while the smuggler has his hand on a thermal detonator, ready to activate it and blow us all to hell.

Well at this point I think the GM is bluffing so I throw a data pad at the smuggler planning to hit detonator and ending the whole affair. Well the gods of dice rolling were on a potty break because I managed to hit nothing but air and the ground.

The smuggler shoots me dead with his blaster. The bounty hunter shoots the smuggler for killing me. The smuggler detonates the grenade before he dies killing the bounty hunter and retuning all our bodies and the ships into the molecular components that make them up.

Yeah... exactly.

Let that be a lesson to you.

Stealing is wrong unless you are stealing from Villains or Monsters. (Please bear in mind the fact that even this justification will probably not stand up in court). :P

On a slightly more serious note, that was at least a fairly cool way to go and if not cool then certainly very neat.