Can this be done x 2

sindyr

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Can this be done x 2

I don't know how to define it in Hero System terms (and the challenge is to do it without using a VPP)' date=' but what it does is wherever in the world teh Packrat is, he can teleport any object from his house to any spot near him, within say 30 feet. He doesn't even have to know where the thing is in his house.[/quote']

May I join in the chorus of people telling you that you need to start thinking from a HERO perspective. Teleport in HERO means the ability to move yourself from place to place, if you want to do other things then you need to use other powers to do those things.

You want to do stuff and then when given a build knock it back by finding stuff it wont do but refuse to define your power to what would be acceptable.

You want flexibility but not to use the part of the system designed to deliver that flexibility. You do not have to give them out as VPPs. Present them to the players differently.

For Mr TP you present his Teleport power. You tell him what he can and cannot do - not necessarily writing down the game mechanics. If the player tries to teleport the sun (which you're VPP is not big enough to cover) then be creative. You could simply say - it's too big, nothing happens. You could say that he opens the gateway to the sun and it is too big to manipulate but a stream of highly charged particles flood the area affecting Mr TP and everyone else.

What you have to be thinking is that the game mechanics people are presenting to you can all be hidden during play - they do not have to be exposed but are there to aid the GM in looking for a level of game balance.

Obviously if you call everything VPP then it will be bland. If Mr TP has a Teleport Power with a couple of sentences outlining the abilities and potential END costs then you are good to go - but you better be good at eyeballing powers and guesstimating point costs, END costs and what can be used concurrently. At the same time Mr Fire will have a Fire Control Power with his own list of things - each will try different things, even if the base mechanics look the same.

You might also want to look at mechanics that have been suggested previously on the boards which are not part of the rules as written if nothing else is working for you, for example SFX Control.

Doc

One limitation you can require on the control cost of a VPP is 'only powers from an approved list'. Basically you make up your list of powers that fit in your VPP and that is all you can do. That means that you don't have to spend ages tailoring powers to the situation every time you play.

If you come up with a new use that the GM approves it can be added to the list. You are not spending XP, although it is almost like an XP award, but for free. Even if everyone is built exactly the same way mechanically with identical VPPs, but with different sfx you'll get different powers in the VPP lists and so very different characters.

As to homogeneity in characters, well...there used to be this villain called Pulsar. Bit of martial arts, well trained normal, basically, with a decent energy blast. Kicking him around the block used to be a Champions coming of age ritual. No one was scared of Pulsar.

Well, over the years I got wise to the fact that if you changed Pulsar's costume and mannerisms and maybe gave him an NND or an entangle instead of his EB, or a few inches of flight instead of running, or any number of almost inconsequential tweaks, then threw him at the PCs something remarkable happened. No one recognised him.

Some of the villains he became - with no change in power level but maybe a few lucky dice rolls in combat got respect. This is a good example of the fact that the Hero creation system provides the mechanical basis for a character but the actual look and feel is down to you.

So what if Weather Gal, Fire Guy, Bio Boy and Teleport Teen all have the same character sheet with the only difference being 'sfx' and disadvantages? They all are based around an 80 point cosmic VPP with the limitation Only to create powers based on (sfx) from an approved list -1/2. The cost would be 160 points, and you can spend the rest on characteristics and skills. Mechanically nothing to tell between them BUT they are not all going to play like clones. Different players will have different interpretations and tricks and quirks and foibles. Probably one of teh characters will emerge as the most powerful and one of the players will constantly moan that his character just isn't as good as everyone else's, depending ont he challenges that the GM throws at them and how they interpret their character. The fact that they are all playing clones needn't be apparent or in any way an impediment to an enjoyable and varied game.

This is a bit of an aside but I just wanted to say that even if your games do turn into a set of characters all equipped with a VPP that does not mean everything is going to look a uniform shade of grey. I'm not advocating this approach (although it would make an interesting pick up game) but I'm just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happened.

This is a bit of an aside but I just wanted to say that even if your games do turn into a set of characters all equipped with a VPP that does not mean everything is going to look a uniform shade of grey. I'm not advocating this approach (although it would make an interesting pick up game) but I'm just saying it wouldn't be the end of the world if it happened.

This is a situation where a custom character sheet would be almost a must have....

Doc

This is an interesting notion, I may use it for one of the Heracles' Children arcs.

I'm running a PBEM right now where every PC has a Cosmic VPP..with a few unique limitations.

They have one major set area of specialty; outside of that, they only get to use 1/2 active points maximum for any other power. they also have to 'learn the power'. they all have the power skill, and I have a customized acquisition set of rules (extra penalthy for trying the powers out of their specialty area, modified time to learn rules)..and a virtually identical EC and basic powers.

I sort of owrry about points--they are free to spend points on skills, talents, perks, somewhat in secondary characteristics. After certain goals of the game are acheived, they go through power upgrades'--and I give the powers to do that. Certain advantages only come into play at certain levels (megascale just becoming available at the 90 point level)

They started out at 50 point VPP's, and have since progressed to 90. My plan of progression should have them going to 150 or 200 pt VPP's.

And despite these similar builds, I have very unique characters with their own areas of specialization..but a heck of a lot of flexibility.

Let me begin this by saying I read to page 5, skimmed then read the last page, so if this has been covered I apologize.

sindyr I think the whole problem you're having is that you're not following the fundamental rule of Hero character creation. You have to reason from effect. I think you might believe you are, but you're not going far enough. Looking at your Architect concept, what effect do you want? You say you want the ability to summon objects. That's not the effect though. The effect is what you want those objects to have. What are the objects going to do. Well you want some that do damage (napalm) you want some objects that entangle (barbwire) and you want some that create a barrier (Steel wall). The causing damage, entangling and creating a barrier are the effects you're looking for, NOT summoning objects.

I really think that's your whole problem with Hero. You absolutely have to reason from effect. You have to say, "what do I want to happen" and then figure out what powers you need to purchase to make those effects happen.

What is confusing me though, is you want these highly adaptable characters, but you don't want to use the mechanic Hero uses to make these characters, the VPP, and then call Hero flawed. The mechanic you need to use to accomplish what you want is there, you can't decide you don't want to use it, and then call it the game systems fault because it has a mechanic you don't want to use. It just doesn't make sense.

Let me begin this by saying I read to page 5, skimmed then read the last page, so if this has been covered I apologize.

sindyr I think the whole problem you're having is that you're not following the fundamental rule of Hero character creation. You have to reason from effect. I think you might believe you are, but you're not going far enough. Looking at your Architect concept, what effect do you want? You say you want the ability to summon objects. That's not the effect though. The effect is what you want those objects to have. What are the objects going to do. Well you want some that do damage (napalm) you want some objects that entangle (barbwire) and you want some that create a barrier (Steel wall). The causing damage, entangling and creating a barrier are the effects you're looking for, NOT summoning objects.

I really think that's your whole problem with Hero. You absolutely have to reason from effect. You have to say, "what do I want to happen" and then figure out what powers you need to purchase to make those effects happen.

What is confusing me though, is you want these highly adaptable characters, but you don't want to use the mechanic Hero uses to make these characters, the VPP, and then call Hero flawed. The mechanic you need to use to accomplish what you want is there, you can't decide you don't want to use it, and then call it the game systems fault because it has a mechanic you don't want to use. It just doesn't make sense.

He is starting to get that, and he is finding that to be the flaw in the system. He envisions what is to his mind a simple ability "I can teleport anywhere" or "I can bring anything in my home to my hand." He wants to build a single power that represent those abilities and allow the game world rules to handle the consequences.

The problem I see with this is that either he needs to be playing a far less crunchy system than Hero, or find one that is filled with a near infinite number of books basically one that if you memorize every page of every book you nuetralize The Quiz.

I'd like to be able to summon Barbwire. Hmmm...Pamela...

Sorry, did I say that out loud?

She not a spring chicken anymore, but still...

humminah-humminah-humminah...

OK guys, I think you have finally been able to pound the truth of the situation into my head. In Hero System, if you want a hero that can do certain *effects*, you simply buy those effects as per normal. If you want you hero to be able to have a certain *power* and be able to do any effect with that power, even if you don't think of the effect on character creation but later, you *have* to get a VPP.

(It occurs to me that it's really confusing and seemingly incorrect for Hero System to call, for example, Energy Blast a Power. It's NOT a Power, the power's are the in-game story abilities of the character. Energy Blast is an Effect. Case in point, your Hero may have a superspeed Power that includes several Effects, such as HKA(fists of speed), Teleport(faster than the eye can see), EB(chuck an object at superspeed at baddie), Envirinmental Control (control over air), etc. The character has *one* power - superspeed - but many power stunts or tricks he can do - the Effects he has purchased.

I STRONGLY recommend that 6e makes this much more obvious but no longer alling things like Absorption, RKAs, Invisibility, Flight powers because right there you are creating confusion. Just about everyplace the book uses the word powers, it NEEDS to say "effects", and that is true for "power" advantages, limitations, frameworks.

None of these are powers the way stories themselves use the word, or even most gamers. If you are going to have a game that separares effects and powers this completely, the concpets in the rules book NEED to be used *precisely* and exactly *accurately*, and I am surprised this hasn't come up before. If any of you agree, please make sure this suggestion winds up in the proper place for consideration for inclusion in the development of 6e.)

In Hero, VPPs are simple the way to guarantee that when the time comes and you want to be able to use your power in a in-game consistent way, that you will have a out-of-game mechanical way to justifiy rule-wise the effect's use.

I have three other questions, but I think they are difted enough they deserve their own threads, so will start them.

Thanks again everybody.

Cross-posted from 6e General Powers thread for interest

All the way back to Post #1

Q: Should we change the term “Power”?

Steve’s Thoughts: The use of “Power” as a term for a game element is confusing, since it’s not the same thing as a power, and because Powers can be used to create abilities that people don’t think of as “powers.” It’s a relic of the HERO System’s roots in the Comic Book Superhero genre.

However, despite my not liking it, and despite having discussed this issue with a lot of people over the years, I’ve yet to come up with anything better.

(It occurs to me that it's really confusing and seemingly incorrect for Hero System to call, for example, Energy Blast a Power. It's NOT a Power, the power's are the in-game story abilities of the character. Energy Blast is an Effect. Case in point, your Hero may have a superspeed Power that includes several Effects, such as HKA(fists of speed), Teleport(faster than the eye can see), EB(chuck an object at superspeed at baddie), Envirinmental Control (control over air), etc. The character has *one* power - superspeed - but many power stunts or tricks he can do - the Effects he has purchased.

I STRONGLY recommend that 6e makes this much more obvious but no longer calling things like Absorption, RKAs, Invisibility, Flight powers because right there you are creating confusion. Just about everyplace the book uses the word powers, it NEEDS to say "effects", and that is true for "power" advantages, limitations, frameworks.

None of these are powers the way stories themselves use the word, or even most gamers. If you are going to have a game that separares effects and powers this completely, the concpets in the rules book NEED to be used *precisely* and exactly *accurately*, and I am surprised this hasn't come up before. If any of you agree, please make sure this suggestion winds up in the proper place for consideration for inclusion in the development of 6e.)

That seems to be a new player's vote to change the terminology. I haven't seen a better term than "effect", but I like the structure - you have a SuperPower (or a Spell, or a Gadget, or a Psionic Ability) and you buy its Effect or Effects.

I STRONGLY recommend that 6e makes this much more obvious but no longer alling things like Absorption, RKAs, Invisibility, Flight powers because right there you are creating confusion. Just about everyplace the book uses the word powers, it NEEDS to say "effects", and that is true for "power" advantages, limitations, frameworks.

Possibly, but it functionally a cosmetic and jargon issue. I had no problem understanding that Hero use Power in a specific way and that its definition was provided to me in the book. It is a function of all games. I have yet to find game that didn't take some perfectly normal every day term and give it a meaning that was non-intuitive for me. Some were worse than others.

Call it Effect and you confuse it with Special Effect (Fire, Ice, machine gun, superspeed).

I like the term Ability personally, but even that would probably confuse.

Effect is what happens, not the Mechanics behind it.

Hence Reason From Effect.

I Effect you with my Fireball.

The Power behind it is Energy Blast, RKA, or possibly some other Power if my Fireball Effect is mostly a blinding flash (Flash: Sight) or whatever.

No, the real problem is that some Power names imply an Effect, simply because we needed a relatively common point of origin.

OK guys, I think you have finally been able to pound the truth of the situation into my head. In Hero System, if you want a hero that can do certain *effects*, you simply buy those effects as per normal. If you want you hero to be able to have a certain *power* and be able to do any effect with that power, even if you don't think of the effect on character creation but later, you *have* to get a VPP.

In Hero, VPPs are simple the way to guarantee that when the time comes and you want to be able to use your power in a in-game consistent way, that you will have a out-of-game mechanical way to justifiy rule-wise the effect's use.

I have three other questions, but I think they are difted enough they deserve their own threads, so will start them.

Thanks again everybody.

Okay, so I think you've pretty much got it. What you think of as the term 'power' is in Hero system called a 'Special Effect' (or SFX for short). It is the in game reason why you can create a certain type of effect. A single SFX can justify a number of diverse Powers:

Case in point, your Hero may have a superspeed Power that includes several Effects, such as HKA(fists of speed), Teleport(faster than the eye can see), EB(chuck an object at superspeed at baddie), Envirinmental Control (control over air), etc. The character has *one* power - superspeed - but many power stunts or tricks he can do - the Effects he has purchased.

That is one SFX, and several Powers justified by it. The key here may simply be that you need to learn the jargon words and map them to your own established vocabulary to help you understand what's what.

(Though I would be wary of using Teleport for that SFX. With GM agreement to interpret it a certain way, I've seen IPE on Running used for that (I run so fast you can't see me move!) but strictly speaking it should be Invisibility (perhaps Linked to Running so it only works if you use 100% of your Running? Possibly with the Instant limitation, depending on the exact effects you're going for). Otherwise you can 'Run' through solid objects without harming them, etc.)

Most of the time, you shouldn't need VPPs to make the character you want. Remember the mention of my shapeshifter before? To you it made sense that he'd have to spend XP before he can grow claws, etc. So why do you assume most characters wouldn't have a similar restriction? You can use Power skill as a temporary stop-gap to try to do something you haven't really learned how to do yet, and then spend the XP to master the trick later by putting it on your sheet (presumably in a multipower). Most people honestly aren't going to make use of the versatility of a VPP in practice.

Another part of it is that there are, shall we say, well behaved SFX and poorly behaved SFX. Cyclops' optic beams are a well behaved SFX; they dish out damage and that's pretty much it. You build it as a EB or RKA, or if you want to get crazy with it build it as a multipower and make a few variation he can do with it. Teleporting yourself is also a well behaved SFX: the game is full of options for moving yourself and what you possess, and teleporting yourself fits into that just fine. Teleporting extrenal objects is not a well behaved power for several reasons: reasoning from the SFX you get

a) unreasonable access to inventory; usually we don't worry about what everyday objects people have because they can't reasonably carry everything they can reasonably own so they more or less need to specify what they're carrying on them. When you have a house as a sort of virtual handy haversack, from which you can call up any item on a moment's notice, the basic assumptions about the availability of mundane items breaks down. Everyone else has immediate access to the items the not only own but packed and brought with them in an easily reachable pocket or pouch; you have immediate access to the items you can fit in your house: that's a conciderable Power in and of itself, and one not properly costed in the system. A VPP can handle the need fairly well though.

B) an attack power: using the game system as written, you generally can't attack things by moving things above them and letting go. But the SFX for external teleport tells you you should be able to do that. So we either ad hoc damage every time, or simply build it as an attack power; the second choice gives us the ability to make sure your power level is in line with the opponents and other players. This problem actually goes away if you tighten the SFX to being able to call things into your hand and/or stably on a surface next to you, touching your hand (to cover larger objects you can't lift). That prevents the 'I make it appear in the air above you' trick. Of course, the VPP above can already kind of handle using called items as weapons (since it should handle calling a weapon after all) so it's not too big of a problem.

c) focus killer (actually worse): reasoning from the SFX, you get that you should be able to instantly remove anyone's foci, accessible or otherwise, and in fact put them in your possession. (Perhaps not instantly putting on inaccessible foci though.) So anyone with a universal OAF is just giving you free Powers, yay. And anyone with any obvious focus is just going to lose it. This can be built in Hero system in several parts, as a combination of ranged disarm (accessible focii are inherently susceptible to disarm.. in fact that's what disarm does, get accessible focii out of people's hands) probably with linked teleport UAA to get the part about it ending up in your possession instead of knocked away; plus Transform (person with inaccessible focus to person whose inaccessible focus is in your possession) (I've heard of a mage having Transform (person in armor to person adjacent to armor) which is where I got the idea). Generally speaking, Inaccessible Focii mean you're not supposed to lose it unless someone can pin you down for a Turn and strip it form you.. but Transform is kind of the universal change something power, and can probably be used this way. I'm not too familiar with the boundaries between Cosmetic, Minor, Major, and Total Transform though, so someone more experienced will have to estimate which type it is (and whether the UAA Teleport should be required as well).

In general, movement powers do not have the effect of Disarm, and especially not the effect of removing Inaccessible Focii (as by the standard rules that's something that requires pinning someone for 12 seconds!) so those are effects (Powers) that should be paid for seperately.

In short, Powers give you the Power to do something specific. SFX give you the excuse for why your character could do that. If you chose an ill behaved SFX like "I'm a shapeshifter" you'll either need to accept that you can't do everything that the SFX justifies (just as many of those things as you've scrounged up the points to pay for) or you'll need to buy it as a VPP. Most Hero players accept that they only have so many Powers within their SFX at any given time, and will pick up more as they go.

The following character can teleport various objects that are within his line of sight around the battlefield. Pretty much any mundane object he can see can be used for various things.

It's a pretty simply build, I'm sure other heroites on the boards can either point out where I could improve, or if I managed to miss something. It does not use a VPP.

teleport object: Telekinesis (20 STR), Line Of Sight (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (75 Active Points)

The environment likes me better: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

1) Dropped on your head!: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

2) Sharp Objects!: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 (45 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

3) Wrapped Up!: Entangle 5d6, 3 DEF (40 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

4) Something in your eye?: Sight Group Flash 8d6 (40 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

5) Through the walls. . .: Tunneling 6" through 11 DEF material (45 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

6) Teleport Object Inside Another Object: Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) for up to 75 Active Points of Teleport Object (56 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

7) Water In Your Lungs: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, No Normal Defense (Target Does Not Need To Breathe; +1), Does BODY (+1), Continuous (+1) (60 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

Defensive Object: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED) (Protect Carried Items) (40 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

Note: Slot 6 requires GM Permission to be placed inside the Multipower Pool.

I don't think that adding IPE (Invisible Power Effects) to Telekinesis makes it look like a 'teleportation' sfx. IPE just means that the projection of power (Telekinesis in this case) from the character to the object being moved is invisible. The object being moved is visible the whole time.

Angel of the X-Men has Flight and the source of the flight is fairly obvious (his wings). When he flies they can probably be heard flapping too.

A character like Superman has flight with no obvious 'source' and probably qualifies to have IPE. What does it mean in game? He can be just as stealthy flying as he could be walking on the ground.

Does anyone ever bother to explicitely build this effect when making a full power (1000+ point) version the character?

Not that I have ever seen but it would easily be covered by a multipower slot of Flight with the Variable Effect Advantage.

I don't think that adding IPE (Invisible Power Effects) to Telekinesis makes it look like a 'teleportation' sfx. IPE just means that the projection of power (Telekinesis in this case) from the character to the object being moved is invisible. The object being moved is visible the whole time.

Angel of the X-Men has Flight and the source of the flight is fairly obvious (his wings). When he flies they can probably be heard flapping too.

A character like Superman has flight with no obvious 'source' and probably qualifies to have IPE. What does it mean in game? He can be just as stealthy flying as he could be walking on the ground.

Does anyone ever bother to explicitely build this effect when making a full power (1000+ point) version the character?

Not that I have ever seen but it would easily be covered by a multipower slot of Flight with the Variable Effect Advantage.

For purposes of Dramatic Effect, I'd let IPE "invisible" move an object with TK. I mean - it's COOL.

6) Teleport Object Inside Another Object: Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) for up to 75 Active Points of Teleport Object (56 Active Points); OIF (Object Of Opportunity; -1/2)

Note: Slot 6 requires GM Permission to be placed inside the Multipower Pool.

Just for clarity's sake.

When you say "Teleport Object inside another Object" you mean something like a dirty cup to the dishwasher, or pencils into the pencil case type of thing, not a caltrop inside a heart?

I think that there is an SFX disconnect here that needs to be made explicit. Newcomers to the system might expect these two things to be the same as the effect is the same - you are teleporting an object from one place to another.

This is something HERO needs to be clear about when talking about itself early in the rulebook. I will need to go back to the rulebook and see exactly what it says about this kind of thing - I have skipped those sort of sections for so long that I'm not even sure they are there....

:)

Doc