Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

However what prompted my comment was what seemed to be an assumption on your part that a diet with no meat is inherently more healthy than a diet that contains meat.

Nah, I meant the 30oz-steak-with-cheese-fries-on-the-side diet that louder carnivore enthusiasts tend to espouse has some grave repercussions for life expectancy. Everything I've read indicates that most people need a reasonable amount of lean meat in their diet (or an effort-intensive combination of nuts, legumes, and supplements to make up for the lack of meat). These canine teeth didn't get in our mouths because we're made to eat nothing but lettuce.

Nah' date=' I meant the 30oz-steak-with-cheese-fries-on-the-side diet that louder carnivore enthusiasts tend to espouse has some grave repercussions for life expectancy. Everything I've read indicates that most people need a reasonable amount of lean meat in their diet (or an effort-intensive combination of nuts, legumes, and supplements to make up for the lack of meat). These canine teeth didn't get in our mouths because we're made to eat nothing but lettuce.[/quote']

Right. Well, then, nevermind. :)

I've just been oversensitized by the discussions I've had with some of the more rabid vegetarians/vegans in my life. It can be hard to have a reasonable discussion with someone who starts their position with "Since meat is bad for you" or "Since the human digestive system is not able to handle meat". I apologize for mistakenly thinking that is what you were saying.

I will say that I do like heading over to The Stinking Rose occasionally to enjoy The Slab. Though I couldn't tell you exactly how many ounces it is, I can say that my serum cholesterol is just fine. :)

I will say that I do like heading over to The Stinking Rose occasionally to enjoy The Slab. Though I couldn't tell you exactly how many ounces it is, I can say that my serum cholesterol is just fine. :)

Visiting Gilroy, CA during their garlic festival is a dream of mine one day... :D

Visiting Gilroy' date=' CA during their garlic festival is a dream of mine one day... :D[/quote']

Don't try the garlic ice cream. I love garlic, I really do. But garlic ice cream is just not good. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And if you don't manage to make it out for the garlic festival, if you are ever in San Francisco I cannot recommend The Stinking Rose enough. One of the best eating establishments I have ever been to.

Don't try the garlic ice cream. I love garlic, I really do. But garlic ice cream is just not good. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And if you don't manage to make it out for the garlic festival, if you are ever in San Francisco I cannot recommend The Stinking Rose enough. One of the best eating establishments I have ever been to.

Does the ice cream use raw garlic or roasted garlic?

Just in case you need a cocktail, there's The McNuggetini.

mcnuggetini.jpg

This milk shake -- invented by two gals in L.A., initially as a joke -- combines chocolate ice cream with vanilla vodka and a rim dipped in barbecue sauce.

As if it's not lardy enough, it's garnished with a McDonald's chicken McNugget.

FYI: There's a Stinking Rose here in Los Angeles as well.

Does the ice cream use raw garlic or roasted garlic?

Boiled [link]

Gilroy, California is the self-proclaimed "Garlic Capitol of the World." Their annual festival features garlic being used in virtually everyway imaginable. So it's no surprise that it ended up in an ice cream recipe. What does garlic ice cream taste like? There's only two ways to find out

Gilroy Garlic Ice Cream

Makes 1 quart

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 vanilla bean, split in half, and the seeds scraped out and reserved
  • 1 cups heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 8 egg yolks

Preparation:

1. Put milk, garlic, vanilla pod and seeds in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and remove immediately.
  2. In mixing bowl, whisk the cream, sugar and egg yolks until combined. Whisking constantly, slowly strain the hot milk mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
  3. Return the mixture to the pan and stir continuously over low heat until it thickens slightly, and coats the back of a spoon, about 10-12 minutes. Do not boil!
  4. Pour in a bowl and chill over an ice bath. Pour into ice cream machine and churn until done. Freeze until ready to serve.

FYI: There's a Stinking Rose here in Los Angeles as well.

Thanks! I actually knew that, but I hesitate to recommend a restaurant I haven't been to and I've only been to the one in San Fran. Chains are a little different, but even with those (at least at the high end) I'll generally mention where. I.e. I know the Morton's in Denver and San Fran are good because I've been to them.

Eh' date=' gotta go with archermoo on this. The longer garlic cooks, the more mellow and nuttier its taste becomes.[/quote']I was kidding ;) But you're right, of course, the cooking process changes the flavor of garlic immensely. What we have here is not only a slight heating, but a heating in a primary liquid base, which will act more as an infusion than anything else as the garlic oils are released and dispersed throughout the milk. The bits of garlic will remain, and I imagine that the texture would be be fairly close to raw, though the flavor will not be nearly so hot or pungent. The nuttiness probably dominates the dish.

Thanks! I actually knew that' date=' but I hesitate to recommend a restaurant I haven't been to and I've only been to the one in San Fran. Chains are a little different, but even with those (at least at the high end) I'll generally mention where. I.e. I know the Morton's in Denver and San Fran are good because I've been to them.[/quote']

I've been to both the SF and LA restaurants, and they are pretty equal in terms of quality. I've had some good food there, but I've learned not to overdo it on the roasted garlic appetizer.

I was kidding ;) But you're right' date=' of course, the cooking process changes the flavor of garlic immensely. What we have here is not only a slight heating, but a heating in a primary liquid base, which will act more as an infusion than anything else as the garlic oils are released and dispersed throughout the milk. The bits of garlic will remain, and I imagine that the texture would be be fairly close to raw, though the flavor will not be nearly so hot or pungent. The nuttiness probably dominates the dish.[/quote']

About all I could taste of the one bite I had was garlic hot. The smell wasn't overpowering, but it was also (literally) ice cold, so that isn't surprising. I had a hard time swallowing it. I noticed no bits, but then again I only had the one bite.

I've been to both the SF and LA restaurants' date=' and they are pretty equal in terms of quality. I've had some good food there, but I've learned not to overdo it on the roasted garlic appetizer.[/quote']

Good to know! I am not often in the LA area, but I may have to give it a visit next time I'm down there. As to the bagna calda, definitely good stuff, but I don't overdo it either. More due to the anchovy than the garlic in my case. :)

I'd have to say their Dungeness crab is probably one of the messiest dishes I've ever eaten. Delicious, but messy...

Visiting Gilroy' date=' CA during their garlic festival is a dream of mine one day... :D[/quote']

Been there and it was a fun day. And I enjoyed the garlic ice cream.

And yes, the Stinking Rose in SF, is well worth the visit as well.