Autofire Leaping: Why Not?

Guest cubist

Guest cubist

Here's the thing, I want a character who can triangle leap back and forth between two surfaces or multi-hop along the ground or multihop and then slam into an opponent- in other words, I want Toad! Why not allow for a-f leaps? Make them non accurate and the user has to roll to hit each target hex, failed roll means no more leaps that phase. What would be so wrong or abusive about this?

Well....

10" Superleap 10 pts.

+10" Superleap (-1/2 Limit: Must successfully land with first leap)

+10" Superleap (-3/4 Limit: Must successfully land with first and second leap)

Total: 10+7+6 = 23 points

Compared to

10" Superleap Autofire (3-shot) (Remember it's an extra +1)

Total: 22 points

So, the math works out.

Another idea would be to define it as a multipower, with one slot for extra running (lots of little hops) and one for leaping (one or a few big hops in a straight line.) Recall that the FAQ already allows for extra bounces (in a straight line) for move-throughs/move-bys with leaping.

This may sound odd, but Running with Indirect Advantage, special effect of "leaping" or maybe some sort of teleport with a "crosses intervening space" limitation, again with the 'leaping' special effect. Just a passing thought.

My character Anthem is a gymnast with a "tumbling run" effect. It's essentially teleport with the "must pass through inteverning space" limitation, the special effect being a tumbling run like Pris in Bladeruner. It's good for simulating all kinds of blance moves over a distance (Such as crossing a floor covered with tacks or crossing a stream by only stepping on the rocks). It's a great flashy manuver and I've bought it to the same distance as her running (7") and bought another 7" tport so that she can use her full tumbling run distance as a half-move and attack (Like Pris tumbling down the hall and grabbing Harrison Ford between her thighs... .... ... Sorry, I was someplace else for a minute).

I've wanted to be able to do something like this with my own MA/gymnast, to simulate the bounce off the wall and attack/climb up the alley wall you see so often in kung fu movies. Steve Long basically vetoed the idea as a variation on Leaping, so I partially simulate it with a Teleport like Blue did. Unfortunately, you can't get velocity modifiers for a Teleport, and I wanted something that would allow bouncing around corners.

I'd still rather do it as a modified leap, but I've never figured out the mechanic. But I don't think Autofire is the answer. (Clever, though.) :)

Originally posted by Trebuchet

...so I partially simulate it with a Teleport like Blue did. Unfortunately, you can't get velocity modifiers for a Teleport, and I wanted something that would allow bouncing around corners.

Am I right in thinking you want to simulate your chaotic movements being hard to predict (and so hard to defend against)?

How about IPE: Vision on your Leaping? (or IPE: Vision w/RASR: Acrobatics?)

Originally posted by Trebuchet

I've wanted to be able to do something like this with my own MA/gymnast, to simulate the bounce off the wall and attack/climb up the alley wall you see so often in kung fu movies. Steve Long basically vetoed the idea as a variation on Leaping, so I partially simulate it with a Teleport like Blue did. Unfortunately, you can't get velocity modifiers for a Teleport, and I wanted something that would allow bouncing around corners.

I'd still rather do it as a modified leap, but I've never figured out the mechanic. But I don't think Autofire is the answer. (Clever, though.) :)

Maybe the thing to do is define it as Flight, with turns allowable only against a surface and a need to land at the end of every phase or two, like Leaping (or Leaping with a little non-combat doubling). Each stretch from one turn point to another would be (at least) one leap. It'd keep the velocity adds, would allow multiple move-by's, and would get you the turning effect you don't get with Leaping. You'd probably want to get some levels with it to reduce turn mode and maybe improved acceleration. GM permitting, you might want to snag no turn mode from UVA (+1/4 advantage) to bounce off in any direction at all.

Originally posted by Jeff

Maybe the thing to do is define it as Flight, with turns allowable only against a surface and a need to land at the end of every phase or two, like Leaping (or Leaping with a little non-combat doubling). Each stretch from one turn point to another would be (at least) one leap. It'd keep the velocity adds, would allow multiple move-by's, and would get you the turning effect you don't get with Leaping. You'd probably want to get some levels with it to reduce turn mode and maybe improved acceleration. GM permitting, you might want to snag no turn mode from UVA (+1/4 advantage) to bounce off in any direction at all.

This sounds like it might be just the ticket. I'll have to float it past my GMs, but I think they'd both be OK with it. :)