Nazi Flying Saucers

shadowcat1313

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Nazi Flying Saucers

Very much made up.

The Nazis did have amazing designs on the drawing boards, but most were frantic attempts to fast track ideas that were either wildly speculative or originally expected to need several years of research work before prototypes could even be considered.

The Luftwaffe's research efforts were especially chaotic, even by Nazi standards (which is saying something). There was the whims of various individuals (not just Goering and Hitler) and sub-departments to satisfy. There was security compartmentalisation that led to much duplication of effort - not only did the right hand not know what the left hand was doing, much of the time each didn't even know that the other existed, or what the head had in mind in any case. Projects were constantly cancelled, resurrected, divided, reshuffled, shifted and amalgamated. The marvel was that anything at all was achieved.

while working on my other pulp era project, i found this interesting page that I thought needed a seperate entry

http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/The%20Vril%20Discs.htm

Well, now we know the origin of Space-Nazis! Excellent find, without regard to the veracity of the material itself. It can always be true in your campaign if you want it to be.

I checked my vcr this morning and there was nothing about nazi ufo projects instead there was a program on capitol punishment. I rechecked the TV guide for Ventura county and it said "Investigation X" 9:00 to 10:00,

Did it air anywhere?

I recorded it last night and I'm watching it right now. I'm in Cincinnati BTW.

Same here. Can't wait to see Iron Sky! Genius.

As far as I'm aware Iron Sky is just going to be the short film we saw on the internet. I thought that it was a teaser for an upcoming game or movie too but, as I was reading through the history and news sections, I found entries referring to it as just an example of what they could do. They were trying to get their work out there and seen.

The Nazi UFO show on Discovery turned out to be pretty boring. Apparently the Nazi's are tied, in some small way to every UFO sighting in the last 70 years.

The Nazi UFO show on Discovery turned out to be pretty boring. Apparently the Nazi's are tied' date=' in some small way to every UFO sighting in the last 70 years.[/quote']

Recommended reading:

LAST TALONS OF THE EAGLE - Secret Nazi Technology Which Could Have Changed The Course Of World War II. By Gary Hyland and Anton Gill. Covers in some detail the more exotic aviation R&D being done by Nazi scientists before and during ww2. Good read, fascinating stuff.

BLUE FIRES - The Lost Secrets Of Nazi Technology. By Gary Hyland. Sequel to the above, covering the more way-out efforts not previously mentioned. Includes a small amount of pure speculation towards the end about theoretical connections with UFOs. No, the Nazis did not have flying saucers (at least, none that worked), but others could have taken up where they left off.

• 2 weeks later...

Well' date=' "Vril" is a fictional creation of Edward Bulwer-Lytton. This looks pretty much made up to me, even if they toss in a few real-world names and terms like "Ahnenerbe."[/quote']

I'd say, pretty much. The works of Bulwer-Lytton were an inspiration to some proto-Nazis and there WAS a German Vrill Society, and some of the other "secret societies" mentioned did exist and were linked to the Nazis. I wouldn't have put it past them to TRY creating a flying saucer; they did a lot of crazy stuff, such as dispatching a team with radar equipment to the far north of Norway to try to measure the distance to the sky - one of Hitler's pet cosmologies (that he believed on mondays and alternate wednesdays or something - Nazi science did not need to be consistent) was that we are living on the INSIDE of a vast hollow sphere (i.e. the sky looks blue because it's so far away, but actually, it's the other side of the globe you're looking up at. I'm not saying it makes any sense, I'm saying Hitler took it seriously enough to dispatch an expedition to try to measure the size of the hollow Earth.)

I remember the Thule Society, but I don't think I've ever heard of the "Men of the Black Stone." But even if they existed, I doubt they ever built a flying saucer that actually flew.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary does suggest looking up "foo fighters" however....

I wouldn't have put it past them to TRY creating a flying saucer; they did a lot of crazy stuff, such as dispatching a team with radar equipment to the far north of Norway to try to measure the distance to the sky - one of Hitler's pet cosmologies (that he believed on mondays and alternate wednesdays or something - Nazi science did not need to be consistent) was that we are living on the INSIDE of a vast hollow sphere (i.e. the sky looks blue because it's so far away, but actually, it's the other side of the globe you're looking up at. I'm not saying it makes any sense, I'm saying Hitler took it seriously enough to dispatch an expedition to try to measure the size of the hollow Earth.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary does suggest looking up "foo fighters" however....

In Hitler's defense (did I actually say that?!?) that was actually Goering's idea. And it's debatable just how much be believed in it -- the whole thing was actually the brainchild of some German WW1 vets he knew who followed the teachings of crackpot American Cyrus Teed, who tried to build a colony in Florida for his Inner World followers.

When the 'let's photograph the British Navy across the hollow earth' scheme didn't work out, Goering was so furious he sent his old friend and his entire family to the concentration camps where they were all killed.

When the 'let's photograph the British Navy across the hollow earth' scheme didn't work out, Goering was so furious he sent his old friend and his entire family to the concentration camps where they were all killed.

I guess a simple "Youre fired!" wasnt enough?

Pretty harsh on the family...

In Hitler's defense (did I actually say that?!?) that was actually Goering's idea. And it's debatable just how much be believed in it -- the whole thing was actually the brainchild of some German WW1 vets he knew who followed the teachings of crackpot American Cyrus Teed, who tried to build a colony in Florida for his Inner World followers.

What's your source for this? What little serious reading I have done on "Nazi science" suggests this would be more likely something Himmler would believe. Goering seemed mostly interested in looting Europe's art treasures and designing himself new uniforms and a fantastic castle. I also find it very unlikely an experienced pilot like Goering - a WWI ace - would buy the whole hollow Earth in the first place; you can see the downward curvature of the Earth from a fairly low altitude.

Hitler seemed to have been more pragmatic; except for his conspiracy theories about Jews he seemed to have felt Himmler's pseudo-scientific beliefs to have been silly but tolerable mumbo-jumbo.

What's your source for this? What little serious reading I have done on "Nazi science" suggests this would be more likely something Himmler would believe. Goering seemed mostly interested in looting Europe's art treasures and designing himself new uniforms and a fantastic castle. I also find it very unlikely an experienced pilot like Goering - a WWI ace - would buy the whole hollow Earth in the first place; you can see the downward curvature of the Earth from a fairly low altitude.

Hitler seemed to have been more pragmatic; except for his conspiracy theories about Jews he seemed to have felt Himmler's pseudo-scientific beliefs to have been silly but tolerable mumbo-jumbo.

Look for a book by Walter Kafton-Minkel, Subterranean Worlds, which goes into tremendous detail about, well, pretty much what it says. It has a whole chapter devoted to Nazi theories about the Hollow Earth.

The guy who believed in the whole thing was an old friend of Goering's from his WW1 pilot days. As to how old tubby was convinced to try the scheme, I don't know, though the book suggests that Goering wanted to upstage some of the other Nazis and be Hitler's court favorite for the week.

Instead it failed, Goering was a laughingstock, and he took it out on the people who failed him.

That said, yes, for Goering this was very odd. Heck, even Himmler would probably have laughed at it (when he wasn't doing black masses and trying to reanimate German war dead as zombies), though Rosenberg might have gone for it. That latter was kinda drifty even by Nazi standards.

Look for a book by Walter Kafton-Minkel' date=' [i']Subterranean Worlds[/i], which goes into tremendous detail about, well, pretty much what it says. It has a whole chapter devoted to Nazi theories about the Hollow Earth.
The fact some Nazis may have believed pseudoscientific claptrap like a hollow Earth doesn't make it a Nazi theory. I'm sure there were non-Nazis who believed in a hollow Earth just as there were plenty of anti-semites outside the ranks of the Nazi Party.

Stupidity is just about the easiest club to gain admission to. The thing Nazis most needed (other than being exterminated to the last man) were tinfoil hats; they were conspiracy theorists on a vast scale. To Nazis, Marxism and capitalism were both part of a greater Jewish conspiracy to enslave the world. They murdered tens of millions of people because they were paranoid. :fear: