fantasy hero archtypes

bubba smith

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: fantasy hero archtypes

Then there's friendly pirates, bright eyed young country boys turned heroes, gruff woodsy types, paladins and other square jawed pure hearted types, mysterious shadowy mages, gritty, ruthless mercenaries and other mercenaries who apear to be gritty and ruthless but are actually very nice when you get to know them, demented wizards, seers and prophets with a greater insight than normal men, monstrous characters attempting to regain or develop a sense of humanity by battling their monstrous kin, gallant noblemen, dissolute noblemen and emancipated princesses with a taste for adventure, inhuman characters who don't understand human society but who have a strong sense of honour and learn to respect or at least like humanity despite its failings, tormented characters desperately attempting to overcome a debilitating curse or tendency to go berserk at the most unfortunate times.

I could go on. There are a lot of archetypal Fantasy characters.

From the point of view of archetypes as 'classes' or 'character themes' I'd go with what's been said already with the addition of Assassin and Martial Artist.

Visibility, fighting style, preferred abilities. One is very stealthy, talks to animals and shoots at you from a distance while the other shows up like a spotlight, rides around on a big horse or some such animal and hits you with a big glowing melee weapon.

To put it another way by the time you see the Paladin in the distance the Ranger has been standing behind you for at least ten minutes.

You could say that they are both divine warriors but in Hero terms there is no need for a Ranger/Woodsy type to have magical abilities at all and no guarantee that any such abilities come from a deity. But in terms of the feel of the character and what they are like to play they are pretty distinct from each other.

Sinister undead armies, elves and orcs with a bitter hatred among them, a young albeit common adventurer who by skill and daring secures a position of royalty or great power, subterranean creatures who plot against the folk above ground, stupid lumbering giants who are united by plotting villain, questing to find powerful artifacts (weapons, armor, etc), In general, the notion that ordinary folk can achieve what usually only royalty hope to achieve.

Shadowsoul has a pretty good list.

Hope that helps...

Visibility, fighting style, preferred abilities. One is very stealthy, talks to animals and shoots at you from a distance while the other shows up like a spotlight, rides around on a big horse or some such animal and hits you with a big glowing melee weapon.

To put it another way by the time you see the Paladin in the distance the Ranger has been standing behind you for at least ten minutes.

You could say that they are both divine warriors but in Hero terms there is no need for a Ranger/Woodsy type to have magical abilities at all and no guarantee that any such abilities come from a deity. But in terms of the feel of the character and what they are like to play they are pretty distinct from each other.

then the ranger would be a fantasy campaigns ninja equivelent

I never said anything about pseudo-medieval fantasy but I take your point. :)

I was kind of extending 'martial artist' to mean any fighter who relies on skill and flashy moves rather than big weapons and high stats e.g. fencers. On the other hand that's fairly well covered by the 'fighter' archetype so maybe I was overcomplicating the issue.

I will stand by assassin as an archetype however, assassins are a fantasy staple, both in literature and in RPGs.

Certainly a martial arts character based on a Buddhist monk or Wuxia style martial artist who is dropped into a Medieval European style setting is highly anachronistic and ruins any claims one could make for the setting's historical authenticity, (not that that is necessarily a problem in fantasy which is, after all, fantasy).

If however you are arguing that Medieval Europeans lacked sophisticated and formalised martial disciplines such as fencing, jousting, sword and shield and knightly wrestling which could be represented in Hero with martial manouevres then I must beg to differ. As would the folks at this charming website which I have Bismark to thank for directing me to.

Well...any setting that is so rigid that you can't have someone be a mysterious traveler from a distant land who knows unheard of techniques of fighting....

Sounds kind of boring.

It often gets overdone.

Plus, there do seem to be people around who picture a D&D monk as a Franciscan friar or something.