Making Dancing weapons?

montolio

:help:Does anyone have any idea how to make weapons to fight on there own with out the owner having to control them the weapons of course would have their own intelligents, so would they be character in there own? I'm thinking that i am over thinking this all but I want to do it right, and figured that someone else would have already tried to come up with something like this already. If you have already made this or have heard anything about this idea please inform me.:thumbup:

Re: Making Dancing weapons?

Killer Shrike I'm sure has built a half dozen variants on this; it's HERO. There's so many ways to do it my head hurts pondering them all simultaneously. ;)

FREX. You build an attack for a character; you make that attack Continuous, +1, and put on the special effect, "Dancing Sword." Now any sword he picks up can be enchanted/used in this fasion.

FREX. You build a sword, and you give the sword an AOE, so it can freely (and independtly) attack anything in its zone.

Your options have options. Define the idea to fine point, and then we can help you hone it, but as you've written it, this is too vague to give you a concrete build.

I like the AOE idea using the Area Of Effect (Radius) option making a radius of 1" so that it can attack around it's self, so far what I came up with is give it the flight (only in contact with surface -1/4) with 2 character points giving it a 1" off the ground so it floats off the ground. So I am picturing the sword floating off the ground and swings at opponents.

Ok so is this sword attacks, would I have to give the sword intelligence or something that that to explain how it knows which people to attack, or would mind link with the character work just fine in justifying that.

Here's the most basic version.

30 Dancing Sword: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

3u 1) Now I'm Swinging the Sword...: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points)

2u 2) Now It's Swinging Itself...: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (60 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

The character can use it as a 'normal' sword or he can have it keep attacking a target (at somewhat reduced effectiveness) while he does something else.

(Think Bugs Bunny removing his 'glove' that keeps conducting the orchestra while he goes off stage).

Another option would be to build the sword as a complete character (not just a computer/AI as other 'intelligent' swords have been presented like Susano's version of Stormbringer for an example of this).

Here's the most basic version.

30 Dancing Sword: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

3u 1) Now I'm Swinging the Sword...: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (60 Active Points)

2u 2) Now It's Swinging Itself...: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (60 Active Points); Lockout (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

The character can use it as a 'normal' sword or he can have it keep attacking a target (at somewhat reduced effectiveness) while he does something else.

(Think Bugs Bunny removing his 'glove' that keeps conducting the orchestra while he goes off stage).

Looks good, but theres no way to switch targets (accept grabing the sword and re-activating it). Wich might be fine but I think montolio wanted to have it switch targets on it's own.

Looks good' date=' but theres no way to switch targets (accept grabing the sword and re-activating it). Wich might be fine but I think montolio wanted to have it switch targets on it's own.[/quote']

Easy enough to do by adding AOE Selective and/or a Trigger but will be a lot more expensive. That's why I suggested building the sword as a character (that just happens to look like a sword).

Ok so is this sword attacks, would I have to give the sword intelligence or something that that to explain how it knows which people to attack, or would mind link with the character work just fine in justifying that.

Here's an intelligent artifact I made a while back. I have the .hdc file as well.

Thanks a lot for the ideas. I think I will go for the sword that is a character it makes things simpler and I can get everything I want. I just was wondering if that would have been too weird but I am seeing now that was the best idea out of the ones that came up. So thanks again.:)

Easy enough to do by adding AOE Selective and/or a Trigger but will be a lot more expensive. That's why I suggested building the sword as a character (that just happens to look like a sword).

Oh, I saw ways to 'fix' it I was just saying it didn't do exactly what the op wanted. :)

Yep, yep. Bunch of ways to do this in HERO (as usual)

1: For a weapon that floats around the user and can attack anyone the character directs it to. HKA: AoE-Radius(+1) Selective(+1/4) OAF(-1)

2: For a character who can make his weapon dance. (not a weapon that dances on its own) Telekinesis: OAF(-1) Only to wield weapons (-1)

3: For a weapon that can move and attack on its own without direction from the wielder: Automaton rules. give the weapon INT, EGO, HKA and Flight. Dont forget to add usable by others to the HKA so that the wielder can use the weapon normally.

4: For a weapon that floats around the user attacking anyone who attempts to touch/attack the wielder: HKA: Damage Shield(+1/2) Continuous(+1) OAF(-1) Requires an attack roll (-1/2) Can be blocked (-1/2)

Yep, yep. Bunch of ways to do this in HERO (as usual)

1: For a weapon that floats around the user and can attack anyone the character directs it to. HKA: AoE-Radius(+1) Selective(+1/4) OAF(-1)

2: For a character who can make his weapon dance. (not a weapon that dances on its own) Telekinesis: OAF(-1) Only to wield weapons (-1)

3: For a weapon that can move and attack on its own without direction from the wielder: Automaton rules. give the weapon INT, EGO, HKA and Flight. Dont forget to add usable by others to the HKA so that the wielder can use the weapon normally.

4: For a weapon that floats around the user attacking anyone who attempts to touch/attack the wielder: HKA: Damage Shield(+1/2) Continuous(+1) OAF(-1) Requires an attack roll (-1/2) Can be blocked (-1/2)

I just had a nasty thought: berserk dancing weapons. Once they start fighting, they don't want to stop -- and when they run out of enemies, they turn on any friends in the vicinity and finally upon the wielder himself unless brought under control.

Could be handy to guard the back entrance of the keep, though; you never go there, and anyone who does enter that way is presumably trying to do you harm -- and how do you fight something that has no body?

First of all, making a new character sheet is almost never the simplest solution.

Second of all, Continuous doesn't work the way some people think it does.

Third of all, AoE Selective is the best way of doing this, though you'll probably want Mobile or something like that.

I just had a nasty thought: berserk dancing weapons. Once they start fighting' date=' they don't [i']want[/i] to stop -- and when they run out of enemies, they turn on any friends in the vicinity and finally upon the wielder himself unless brought under control.

Could be handy to guard the back entrance of the keep, though; you never go there, and anyone who does enter that way is presumably trying to do you harm -- and how do you fight something that has no body?

That is a nasty thought. A weapon that can turn on its own wielder...not a happy thought.

[quote

quote]

where can i find 'Automaton rules" that seams like it is exactly what i am looking for.

Is it possible for an Automaton to have intelligence making it sentient?

Because the swords do act like a player character but it has the qualities of an automaton?

My response as a GM is no. Automatons have special powers that PCs do not have access to, but they get that by giving up free will - that's what "automaton" means.

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

you use the computer rules to give int and ego and actions and such to objects.

You do this remember you buy computer and the automaton seperately. You can't build the comp, divide by 5, have the aut. pay the points, then buld rest of aut. and divide that by 5. :tsk:

You do this remember you buy computer and the automaton seperately. You can't build the comp' date=' divide by 5, have the aut. pay the points, then buld rest of aut. and divide that by 5. :tsk:[/quote']

Is there a preferred way to craft intelligent weapons, the type whose abilities are largely independent of the wielder? That could be a way to deal with automatic swords.

I can also imagine a weapon that influences its wielder by doing things like inflicting new Psych Lims on the character, to make him want to do what the sword wants him to do. Taken to an extreme, like Elric's legendary sword Stormbringer, it could result in the character taking even suicidal actions to satisfy the blade (and its lust for blood, souls, or whatever).