League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for 2008

Shaft

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for 2008

His Britishness is dubious - what with the actor being a Scot' date=' and the character not being born on Earth at all, let alone in England :)[/quote']

When I said British, I my intention was to have characters from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the territories which are still colonies like Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands and Gallifrey. IMHO any Timelord companion gets honourary UK citizenship regardless of their origin. :D

His Britishness is dubious - what with the actor being a Scot' date=' and the character not being born on Earth at all, let alone in England :)[/quote']
When I said British' date=' I my intention was to have characters from England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the territories which are still colonies like Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands and Gallifrey. IMHO any Timelord companion gets honourary UK citizenship regardless of their origin. :D[/quote']Besides, he's based in the UK, which should be close enough for these purposes.

There's been some speculation that Dangerman/Secret Agent is Number 6.

At any rate, it would very much in keeping with the spirit of the League stories to find out that an escaped (and vengeful) Number Six is in fact their enemy...

If you're going to use Number 6 in the "M" role, may I suggest replaceing James Bond in the Quartermain role with David Callan (there is speculation that David Callan and Robert McCall may be the same person beyond the fact that they are played by the same actor(Edward Woodward)). Both are paticularly nasty individuals and both could be using new identities for their own agendas.

This has been an interesting thread so far, but I was thinking, Shouldn't the Choices, be relegated to "british commonwealth-esque" folk, of actual Literature (That's Novels, not comic books/Movies/tv shows), Much like the Original League? That would be keeping within the Structure of the Original Work right?

Would certainly be an interesting Mix of folk with those parameters.

~Rex

Come on you guys make it sound like the League was WRITTEN back in the 1800's.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Roll Call.

Mina Murray, Brahm Stoker, Dracula

The Invisible Man, H.G. Wells, The Invisible Man

Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Alan Quartermaine, H. Rider Haggard, King Solomon's Mines

Captain Nemo, Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Honorable Mention To:

Campion Bond, Alan Moore

Mycroft Holmes, Sire Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter

C. Auguste Dupin, Edgar Allen Poe, The Murders in the Rue Morge

Pollyana

Professor Selwyn Cavor

Quong Lee

John Carter

Major Blimp

And a host of others..........

Now of course at the time the Comic, there were and obviously have been movies. I think though the point of the comic was having the great Hero's and such of the Novels to come forth.

They could have used movie versions, but they stuck to Literature. So, if you were doing Modern League, Why break with Tradition? Tradition is Part of the feel of the League in the First place Right?

~Rex

Come on you guys make it sound like the League was WRITTEN back in the 1800's.

~Rex

Well, no, but it was supposed to read as if it was. And the characters were taken from the material of the 1800's, which were the novels.

Also, while the original novels are now out of copyright and the characters public domain, the versions from movie adaptations aren't. That's why the Invisible Man character in the LXG movie had to be a thief who had stolen the invisibility formula, rather than the original Invisible Man himself.

Today, the mass media is television and movies, not so much novels - there are plenty of great characters in great novels that don't have the recognition of most mediocre television shows.

So I think using TV and Movie characters is entirely legitimate. Of course, your League can have whomever you choose, and it's not like anyone's going to reject any suggestions that just happen to have come from a novel...

Speaking of which, I think Remo Williams, a.k.a. The Destroyer, should have a place... he would make a terrifying villain.

So, running along the original format, and sticking to Characters of an Origin related to the same format, as the original League, my Modern League, looks something like this.

Simon Templar.

James Bond.

BlackShirt.

Dr. Who

Spring-heeled Jack.

If you want to add some Women, which one should add at LEAST one, then Miranda (of Doctor Who fame), or Golden Amazon.

~Rex

Well, no, but it was supposed to read as if it was. And the characters were taken from the material of the 1800's, which were the novels.

Also, while the original novels are now out of copyright and the characters public domain, the versions from movie adaptations aren't. That's why the Invisible Man character in the LXG movie had to be a thief who had stolen the invisibility formula, rather than the original Invisible Man himself.

Today, the mass media is television and movies, not so much novels - there are plenty of great characters in great novels that don't have the recognition of most mediocre television shows.

So I think using TV and Movie characters is entirely legitimate. Of course, your League can have whomever you choose, and it's not like anyone's going to reject any suggestions that just happen to have come from a novel...

Speaking of which, I think Remo Williams, a.k.a. The Destroyer, should have a place... he would make a terrifying villain.

but the"pale piece of pigs ear" to quote master chuin is one of the GOOD GUYS btw i know who the golden DRAGON is but who's the golden amazon?

King Arthur is supposed to come back when Britain is in peril and Merlin is supposedly stuck in an island cave for eternity so either of them could be freed/summoned and dropped into a Modern League.

I would throw in another vote for James Bond, Doctor Who and Constantine.

A few other outside possibilities and characters who might have a cameo in modern league stories.

Jonathan Creek.

Zenith

Private Cooper. (Would require a Mina-esque rewrite in which he was bitten by the Werewolves).

Modesty Blaise

Artemis Fowl

Lady Door

I will Nominate

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton (“Ruffin Dick”) (1821-1890)

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton (March 19, 1821October 20, 1890) was a British explorer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, ethnologist, linguist, poet, hypnotist, fencer and diplomat. He was known for his travels and explorations within Asia and Africa as well as his extraordinary knowledge of languages and cultures. According to one count, he spoke twenty-nine European, Asian, and African languages. [Wikipedia]

(He was also a top spy for the British Foriegn office)

I was trying to see which historical character had the highest point total based on documented abilities.

For Captain Burton I can up with 435 points (116 Char, 329 skills, 36 perks, 6 talents, 13 powers less -65 points disadvantages)

Burton is mostly a skills based historical character, but I have seen him on a list of the 10 best swordsmen in history. A world class spy, linquist, explorer.

(I believe the Characters book has Miyamoto Musashi's at 503 for comparison)

but the"pale piece of pigs ear" to quote master chuin is one of the GOOD GUYS btw i know who the golden DRAGON is but who's the golden amazon?

Got to really know the Sci Fi Genre. :D If it helps a bit, just read this: http://www.batteredbox.com/JohnRFearn/IncunabularGoldenAmazon.htm

One, Golden Amazon.

Kudos to Sir Richard Burton as well. Was thinking of that myself but if you have Burton, do you REALLY need anyone else. :) Burton works exceedingly well in literature anyway, Riverworld for example. He would certainly qualify, even if he WAS a real person.

As for the Harry Potters and Alex Riders out there. They are Assassinated out of hand, as reprisal for their stain upon both the book and movie industries. After all Bond needs to keep those skills Sharp right?

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steamteck

I will Nominate

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton (“Ruffin Dick”) (1821-1890)

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton (March 19, 1821October 20, 1890) was a British explorer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, ethnologist, linguist, poet, hypnotist, fencer and diplomat. He was known for his travels and explorations within Asia and Africa as well as his extraordinary knowledge of languages and cultures. According to one count, he spoke twenty-nine European, Asian, and African languages. [Wikipedia]

(He was also a top spy for the British Foriegn office)

I was trying to see which historical character had the highest point total based on documented abilities.

For Captain Burton I can up with 435 points (116 Char, 329 skills, 36 perks, 6 talents, 13 powers less -65 points disadvantages)

Burton is mostly a skills based historical character, but I have seen him on a list of the 10 best swordsmen in history. A world class spy, linquist, explorer.

(I believe the Characters book has Miyamoto Musashi's at 503 for comparison)

Burton is a great example of reality mining heroic fiction.

Speaking of Burton, what about ole Jack Burton? Sure he's not British, but could you imagine him and James Bond working together?

John Carter, he can't really die, just keeps going back and forth to Mars.

I always thought Tarzan would be a good fit.

Come on guys, four pages and no one has suggested Bernard Quatermass? Only one of the quintessential British heroes of this century...

Oh, and John Carter is in the prologue to LoEG II, so he probably shouldn't be in the modern version.