What happened to ... Dr. Megaton?

Legatus

I'm planning a new storyline for my players which might lead to the solution of Earth's energy problems. The heroes will sneak into a secret base and will have the opportunity to steal the plans for a functional fusion reactor, including all data for the construction and operating of the whole power plant.

As the major villain of this story I want to use Dr. Megaton (from 4e Challenges for Champions) and his right hand man Fusion.

Now here is my question: have you ever used this villain and what was the outcome? I'm interested in story ideas, anecdotes, tragic moments. Basically everything that you can come up with.:help:

Maybe someone even has a 5e character sheet? :hush:

My ideas were that there was another mastermind behind all the research going on in that secret base. A man whose knowledge of technology surpasses all other's. It's Dr. D...

Re: What happened to ... Dr. Megaton?

How did the characters come to know about this energy project, and what prompts them to consider stealing it? I ask because in his original version Dr. Megaton was dedicated to developing his "supernuclear" technology to give to the world to solve its energy needs, regardless of the destruction he caused along the way -- "necessary sacrifices for scientific advancement," as he would say. If the Doctor actually succeeded in making his process safe and efficient, he would be the first one to hand it out freely. Assuming you don't change Dr. Megaton's motivations, this suggests several possible plot permutations, one of which you already touched upon:

- Dr. Megaton's current experiment is potentially catastrophic, and the PCs are actually attempting to stop a nuclear holocaust;

- Dr. Megaton is working under the sponsorship of another villain (knowingly or not). This villain likely has less than altruistic uses in mind for his technology;

- The energy technology is being developed by another party (benign or villainous), and the PCs are actually attempting to stop Dr. Megaton from stealing it to help with his own efforts;

- The PCs are secretly being manipulated by another villain to steal the technology from Dr. Megaton. The villain will subsequently attempt to relieve the PCs of it himself.

Note that most of these plot points are not mutually exclusive.

FWIW here is the Glossary entry from the Fourth Edition HERO version of Champions Universe for Dr. Megaton: "Intricately programmed android servant [emphasis mine] of Malachite who pretends to be a supervillain in order to obtain things Malachite needs without anyone tracing anything back to him. Just the mere fact that he is an android (something Malachite is not known to use) makes him difficult to trace to his true master." (CU4E p. 165)

Obviously this is a major departure from Dr. Megaton's history as given in Challenges for Champions, which in this context would be a cover story (which would likely be very upsetting to Fusion if he discovered it). Although the CU entry implies that this is a deliberate deception on the part of the Doctor, the android could just as easily be programmed to believe it's the truth (reminiscent of the "Prime Serpent" from the 4E VIPER sourcebook).

Since Malachite's supervillain specialty and campaign role has largely been taken by Teleios in the 5E CU, he could be substituted as Dr. Megaton's master -- the atypicality of an android servant applies equally well to him. This would also beg the question of how Teleios acquired such an advanced device, with potential plots arising from the answer.

I've been running a Gamma Flight Campaign for the last year and a half. It was my first attempt at GMing in Hero so I ended up using almost all of the Challenges for Champions scenarios. The actual Megaton one runs very well for a basic adventure. I had the Gamma Flight team overseeing the conversion of a nuclear plant to a "pellet-bed" version local to Winnipeg. I actually toned down some of his stats for my game, though he was still impressive. However, he's a difficult person to run in a combat with that Explosive punch (with no immunity!). He ended up grabbing and squeezing a lot of people after it was clear he needed to intervene in the battle to get the radioactive material away from the plant. Normally, he seemed like the kind of guy to let his underlings deal with those kinds of problems. His downfall was actually Tundra, a cold character with a 6d6 Dex Drain. In less than a turn, he was practically crippled and couldn't move.

Later, I had Dr. Megaton and the Hand return when they investigated the underground GENOCIDE base which housed a reactor and...the Beast! (another prefab adventure available online). They weren't the main villians of that one, basically they were fleeing for their lives when the PCs arrived. I'll have him come back soon.

However, I don't see him working with anybody else. He's so detached and driven that he would most likely hire people than be hired. And I've less sympathy for him than what's been posted. He may be misunderstood but he'd destroy the world trying to "save" it. I'll post my .HDC file of him later today.

However' date=' he's a difficult person to run in a combat with that Explosive punch (with no immunity!). He ended up grabbing and squeezing a lot of people after it was clear he needed to intervene in the battle to get the radioactive material away from the plant.[/quote']

In my own games I changed Dr. Megaton's Explosive Advantage on his STR to Variable Advantages reflecting increased self-control over his internal energies, which made him a much more versatile opponent. I even allowed the Ranged Advantage, normally forbidden for STR, to allow him to throw "explosive punches."

I also modified Fusion's Multipower slots to selectively project the various effects of a nuclear explosion: Radiation (NND and/or Drain), Light (Flash), Heat (RKA), EM pulse (Dispel), Overpressure (Physical EB).

In my own games I changed Dr. Megaton's Explosive Advantage on his STR to Variable Advantages reflecting increased self-control over his internal energies, which made him a much more versatile opponent. I even allowed the Ranged Advantage, normally forbidden for STR, to allow him to throw "explosive punches."

I also modified Fusion's Multipower slots to selectively project the various effects of a nuclear explosion: Radiation (NND and/or Drain), Light (Flash), Heat (RKA), EM pulse (Dispel), Overpressure (Physical EB).

That sounds great. And it'll make the doctor and his hireling a lot more dangerous.

And he'll need more skills. For a scientist of his "magnitude" he was pretty underskilled.

Great ideas...I more or less updated both in the easiest way possible. Fusion was more or less unchanged(I might have gotten rid of his limitaions), but I gave Doc some more radioactive powers and skills to make him more like other 5th ed builds. I'll probably rebuild him again as my frist revision was shortly after I got 5th and I'm a bit more skilled with the rule now. I'm curious about adding Ranged to simulate "explosive punches". Doesn't seem to match the SPFX...as that'd just mean he can hit you with a punch from far away...unless this is combined WITH the Explosion advantage maybe?

Rob

Waaaay back in 4th ed, I had made Dr. Megaton a high-end business owner of a company called Bright Concepts, Inc. and dealt with technology & science needs. This, of course, was a front for his criminal activities, which was trafficking superhuman powers and the like to the criminal populace. In retrospect, I guess he was a bit like Blight from Batman Beyond. As the heroes investigating the sudden occurrences of "new villains", they found a trail leading to Bright Concepts and to Megaton himself (who's origin, along with Fusion's, I tweaked to include some of the treatments that he'd been selling). Battle happens and, in the end, Megaton is arrested and Fusion is MIA. That was the end of him, as the campaign ended after that (due to college and jobs).

If I were to continue, Megaton would go Blight/Kingpin on the heroes, doing everything he could to ruin them as they'd done to him. He was going to be released on his own recognizance, as he was a "model citizen" and, when out, he'd make contact with a Fusion that'd gone underground with some of his ill-gotten gain, awaiting Megaton's return. He would then discover a few secret IDs, target those they loved and pretty much make them pay for doing what they did, basically turning him into a main villain in no time. While in the clink, he may have also discovered other applications for his powers, making him more versatile and more dangerous to a group ;)

FWIW here is the Glossary entry from the Fourth Edition HERO version of Champions Universe for Dr. Megaton: "Intricately programmed android servant [emphasis mine] of Malachite who pretends to be a supervillain in order to obtain things Malachite needs without anyone tracing anything back to him. Just the mere fact that he is an android (something Malachite is not known to use) makes him difficult to trace to his true master." (CU4E p. 165)

Obviously this is a major departure from Dr. Megaton's history as given in Challenges for Champions, which in this context would be a cover story (which would likely be very upsetting to Fusion if he discovered it). Although the CU entry implies that this is a deliberate deception on the part of the Doctor, the android could just as easily be programmed to believe it's the truth (reminiscent of the "Prime Serpent" from the 4E VIPER sourcebook).

Let's pretend that this was never written.:D

Clones, androids ???? ...not happening...lalalala...not happening....lalala...not happening....lalala....:idjit:

I'm curious about adding Ranged to simulate "explosive punches". Doesn't seem to match the SPFX...as that'd just mean he can hit you with a punch from far away...unless this is combined WITH the Explosion advantage maybe?

Not an Explosion Advantage as such, but an "explosion" Special Effect. The visual was Dr. Megaton making a punching motion in the air in the direction of his target, then a burst of energy would leave his fist to strike the target. My rationale was that Dr. Megaton's punch would accelerate the energy in his hand, which at the end of his motion would leave his hand and continue on, transferring the kinetic energy of the punch to his target on contact.

(Yeah, the science is rubber enough to bounce. Sue me.) :P

Not an Explosion Advantage as such, but an "explosion" Special Effect. The visual was Dr. Megaton making a punching motion in the air in the direction of his target, then a burst of energy would leave his fist to strike the target. My rationale was that Dr. Megaton's punch would accelerate the energy in his hand, which at the end of his motion would leave his hand and continue on, transferring the kinetic energy of the punch to his target on contact.

That is true comic book science!!! :thumbup:

Maybe I'll borrow that idea. Perhaps for a new follower of the doctor. (Killerwatt?)

And if Dr. D was the one who was secretly or openly backing the whole, he could send in Gigaton to watch over it. Then I'd have the two constantly arguing and finally battling it out. And then maybe, but only maybe, we'll have a Dr. Gigaton afterwards and Dr. D's right hand man will be reduced to Megaton.:D

Hey...no problem. What's the saying...as long as it sounds good...it IS good? Works for me. Was just curious.

Rob

Good stuff.

Per a request, Here's Dr. Megaton (which is a real name -- I think I saw either a frenchman or italian with that exact name recently) in a non .hdc format

Dr. Megaton

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

60 STR 50 21- Lift 102.4tons; 12d6 [6]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

50 CON 80 19-

20 BODY 20 13-

23 INT 13 14- PER Roll 14-

20 EGO 20 13- ECV: 7

25 PRE 15 14- PRE Attack: 5d6

14 COM 2 12-

25 PD 13 Total: 25 PD (15 rPD)

25 ED 15 Total: 25 ED (15 rED)

3 SPD 3 Phases: 4, 8, 12

22 REC 0

100 END 0

75 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 262

Movement: Running: 11"/22"

Leaping: 12"/24"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

45 Explosive Fists: Naked Modifier: Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Explosion (+1/2) for up to 60 Active Points (45 Active Points)

15 Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED)

15 Life Support (Eating Character does not eat; Safe in High Radiation; Self-Contained Breathing)

Skills

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Nuclear Engineering 14- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Subatomic Physics 14- (3 Active Points)

3 Computer Programming 14-

3 Deduction 14-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 88

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Vulnerability: 2 x BODY Lead Based Attacks (Common)

20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Lead Based Attacks (Common)

25 Enraged: Abject Environmentalism (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 8-

5 Psychological Limitation: Believes in the Absolute Perfection of Nuclear Power (Uncommon, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Detached; views everything from a Scientific Point of View (Common, Strong)

5 Distinctive Features: Glows slightly (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Hunted: EPA 8- (As Pow, Mildly Punish)

5 Hunted: Sierra Club 8- (As Pow, Mildly Punish)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Major

10 Reputation: Scientist with Extreme Views on Nuclear Science, 8- (Extreme)

10 Psychological Limitation: Scientific Curiosity (Common, Moderate)

15 Unluck: 3d6

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Amazing how you could put him into 350 points. Even under 4E he was a 486 points character (well, a CON of 80 and other ridiculous stuff).

At SPD 3 and DEX 17 he will not be the threat he once was. At least in a mere physical conflict.

[Amazing how you could put him into 350 points. Even under 4E he was a 486 points character (well, a CON of 80 and other ridiculous stuff).

At SPD 3 and DEX 17 he will not be the threat he once was. At least in a mere physical conflict.]

This was for a set of four 250 pt characters who were at the time (they're now a bit north of 300) averaged about 20 Dex and 4/5 speed with one SPD 3 Brick. And a Dex of 17's not as big a problem with an explosion punch. Also he was the mastermind in my scenario, with the Hand and Fusion as his front line. That's why I toned him down. If he returns, I'll put him up closer to his original level.

This was for a set of four 250 pt characters who were at the time (they're now a bit north of 300) averaged about 20 Dex and 4/5 speed with one SPD 3 Brick. And a Dex of 17's not as big a problem with an explosion punch. Also he was the mastermind in my scenario, with the Hand and Fusion as his front line. That's why I toned him down. If he returns, I'll put him up closer to his original level.

I'd say the expolsion goes off if he hits an opponent, which is a bit unlikely at DEX 17. Surely, there wouldn't be an explosion from just punching a hole into the air, or do you think so?

That's an interesting question now that I think about it... would I just go off when ever he exerted himself or say, squeeze someone he'd grabbed? I guess he could just punch (or stomp) the ground or a wall and trigger it in any case.

It sort of bugs me that he's not Personally Immune to his blast but I suppose it could be defined as an Explosive Cone...

In his original writeup, it was specified that the Explosion effect went off whenever Dr. M hit someone (or something, like the ground), which was why his most common tactic was to Grab an opponent.

If you look at that writeup, you'll see that the Doctor has significantly more Character Points invested in his Explosion Advantage than required (math errors on 4E character sheets were rampant), which was one of the things that made me think of changing it to Variable Advantages. You could easily pay for Personal Immunity for the Explosion out of those points.

FWIW when I gave Megaton Variable Advantages I set them at the +3/4 level. Not only did that pay for Explosion with Personal Immunity, it also allowed for Double Knockback, which IMO fits well with the SFX of "explosive punches."

To quote Challenges for Champions (4E):

"...by merely punching an underling he can reduce an entire building to rubble. The doctor also suffers the effect of such explosions; however the explosion should be considered to be a hex away from the Doctor's hex whenever he throws a punch. However, Dr. Megaton can safely grapple, squeeze or toss objects or people without triggering an explosion.

For this reason, and by personal preference Dr. Megaton tends to stay out of hand-to-hand-melees."