Ninja Spring Leap

TheDux

This was a smaller topic in a previous post of mine, but I feel it needs its own topic to get a solution.

Basic Idea:

So a superhero that I am working on is an Elven bounty hunter in modern human society (she is one of few elves who live among humans). She (along with Ninjas i might make in the future) can enhance movement by springing off other objects.

How I want it to work:

With a running start (moving minimum of 2"), the character can attempt (Acrobatic skill roll) to spring off a wall, tree, street sign, bulkier characters, cars, and other solid/stable objects in order to get a boost to her movement in a logical direction along a strait line. From that spring (if they have enough movement left and there is another surface) they can make another spring at -2 Acrobatic roll. Movements can be made in 3 dimension (as long as it it logical).

What I am Thinking:

20" Flight with a limitations something like:

-Requires 2" running movement to begin power

-Must have surface to spring off of

-Requires Acrobatic Roll

-Max 5" per spring

-Failure prevents further movement (unless falling, in which case you use common sense).

How do you think this would be best created? Thanks in advance.

Re: Ninja Spring Leap

Leaping already assumes a running start. The Leaping distance is halved if performed as a standing leap. Using other surfaces to change direction mid-leap is already legal as 2 discrete half moves. If you want more than that then a limited flight to represent super-leaping is probably still the way to go.

Leaping already assumes a running start. The Leaping distance is halved if performed as a standing leap. Using other surfaces to change direction mid-leap is already legal as 2 discrete half moves. If you want more than that then a limited flight to represent super-leaping is probably still the way to go.

This would mean that I could only make 1 direction change, correct?

That is more limited than I am looking for.

I agree it works pretty well as written. However, I might lower the 20", since its pretty costly as is. You could argue about the limit values if you wanted, though I think on their face these values seem pretty fair. Max 5" per spring being the big one because it limits 20" of flight down to 5". But what if someone bought 40" or only 10"? Maybe you should make that Max 1/4 flight per spring instead?

Ninja Leap

20" Flight:

-Requires 2" running movement to begin power (-1/4)

-Must have surface to change direction (-1/2)

-Requires Acrobatic Roll (-1/2)

-Max 5" per spring (-1)

AC: 40

RC: 12

Note - Failure prevents further movement (unless falling, in which case you use common sense).

It looks "OK"...or think about buying +12" leaping: usable as Flight +1/4 18 points for a Wuxia leaping power...you can use your leap to mimic flight, but it's still leaping so SFX limits the utility.....buy it up or down as you wish...

It looks "OK"...or think about buying +12" leaping: usable as Flight +1/4 18 points for a Wuxia leaping power...you can use your leap to mimic flight' date=' but it's still leaping so SFX limits the utility.....buy it up or down as you wish...[/quote']

Actually, the Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement] Advantage must be applied to the most expensive movement ability.

from page 124 ■ Character Creation: Powers Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement] (+¼):

To use this Advantage, a character must apply it to the more expensive of the Movement Powers he wants to use. He can’t buy the cheaper one and then use the Advantage to make it function like the more expensive one. For example, he can’t buy Gliding (which costs 1 Character Point per inch) and then use the Advantage to make it function like Flight (which costs 2 Character Points per inch) — he has to buy Flight and make it function like Gliding.

Actually' date=' the Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement'] Advantage must be applied to the most expensive movement ability.

from page 124 ■ Character Creation: Powers Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

Usable [As Second Mode Of Movement] (+¼):

well thats a GM "OK" thang. But thats also why I consider it limited to what leaping can achieve...so no hovering, but gain altitude with direction change? Sure, just land at the end of your turn because dispite the "upgrade" it is still leaping.

It just gains quasi modifiers of the new mode...sort of like "Sense groups" if I buy Sonar it's a hearing group, but what if I buy it for my sight group? then it gains some of the qualitys of sight....

Not really "In the Book" but I don't see the "Book" as the end all anyway...

But it Is a good point though....

I would go with something like the following:

22 It's almost like he can fly!: Flight 20", No Turn Mode (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Must Land At The End Of Each Phase (Also Must Use Surface To Change Direction; -1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Acrobatics Roll with -2 Per Turn Made; -1/2), Side Effects (-1/4) 5

I wouldn't grant any additional Limitation value for either Max 5" per spring or Requires 2" running movement to begin power considering that even the Levitation Limitation is only worth (-1/2).

I added the No Turn Mode Advantage because the leaping SFX implies that the character should be able to make 180 degree bounce/turn with an appropriate surface (which is not possible with Flight normally) allowing for some cool surprise moves.

I just wanted to stop by and thank The Dux for starting this thread and everybody else for making suggestions. I've got a mutant frog character who's going to have this ability and, as a newbie, it's nice to get input from the veterans. I'd rep everybody but I haven't made enough posts to give real rep - just the synthetic stuff.

I'm pretty sure I could persuade the GM to allow me to use gliding or swinging rather than flight. In fact with gliding you start off with a height equal to your leap, and I'm sure a decent GM would allow you to substitute 'bits of scenery' for 'thermals'. It sounds more like one of them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I could persuade the GM to allow me to use gliding or swinging rather than flight. In fact with gliding you start off with a height equal to your leap' date=' and I'm sure a decent GM would allow you to substitute 'bits of scenery' for 'thermals'. It sounds more like one of them anyway.[/quote']

I really need to visit the UK sometime.

You guys must have better drugs than we do.

I'll do an irony tutorial if you like :)

Someone call Alanis Morissette. She gets a seat in the front row.

The problem here is that you have to take flight and cripple it, to get what you want. You could buy leaping useable as gliding, but you can only, due to a rule I really can not fathom the need for, change movement modes once per phase. OK, so let us cripple flight.

Start, as always, by reasoning from effect.

Thing is you want to get from A to B bouncing off objects, so you'll pretty much always be travelling up and down, left and right, rather than in a straight line. 2 problems there: first measuring it will be a right pain and second, well, measuring it will be a right pain. I know that is the same one twice, but I think it will count as 2.

Rather than building 20" of flight with loads of limitations, why not just take 14" and make it instant and add a limitation (-1/2 environmental considerations)? The sfx are that you bounce off loads of stuff, but in fact you just move to where you want to go in as straight a line as possible. The instant limtiation means that you won't be flying at the end of the phase, so if you are not on something solid you fall, and the environmental considerations mean the GM can rule that you can't get where you want to go if the GM doesn;t think it would work with th ebouncy trick.

14" is how far you get in a straight line if you basically have to do 20" moving at 45 degrees to your intended direction of travel and tacking.

It costs 28 active, 14 real, and is cheap and easy to administer.

If I was your GM I'd suggest you buy +2 DCV linked to the power, because when you are moving that eratically you'll be hard to hit. Up to you.

...in fact, for most purposes, just buying leaping, possibly with the 'environmental restrictions' limitation suggested above, would do what you want. You only actually need flight if you want to go around corners or change direction in mid-leap. Oh, and you need to hit your target hex with an attack roll :)

• 3 weeks later...