Help me get into Bricks.

Revenant

Re: Help me get into Bricks.

one thing thats fun to do with bricks is mixing up the formula a bit.

the Nerf brick high def low damage for example(if i ever get my version of her write up finished) Providence my character for Rhode islands champion the 50 states thread shes protected by a guardian angel style power that stops her getting hurt so while she can soak damage like a brick she only does damage like a martial artist.

the multipurpose brick Granite from the 50 states again former USMC hand to hand expert with the ability to become living stone making him capable in both forms.

the Surprising brick Godiva the Go Go Diva looks like a typical 60s blond bombshell not overtly muscular but can covert light to incredible strength and toughness(of course this means the less clothes shes w0earing the stronger she gets but fortunately her powers also protect her from the cold)

the telekinetic brick a seemingly normal guy who uses his remarkable telekinetic strength to act like a brick whether that's with straight up force field and telekinetic strength or going the great turtle route from wild cards and using his telekinesis to lift a load of amour.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miranda looked out at the crowd as she listened to her coach tell her about a threat upon the American Olympic team.

Does this look like a good basis for a decent brick background wise?

That's very impressive. It looks like you've got the idea! :thumbup:

Someone's probably covered this part of being a Brick already (I didn't read the entire thread), but hopefully a couple of the comments will be useful to someone.

I used to be a firm believer in making what I call "Brick Plus" characters - the character is a light brick with something else added to give him flavor and options (many suggestions are on the first page of the thread alone). And I still believe in adding a little something for flavor (flight, stretching - something). But my favorite character now is almost a pure brick. When he fights something really powerful, and with massive physical defenses (e.g. high pd and 75% damage reduction-physical), it's true that he can do almost nothing by punching him. But that's not the brick's real job.

The true job of the brick is to get hit and still stay on his feet-or at least get up again! On my current character, I have bought large amounts of CON and Recovery. And some knockback resistance to cut down on the extra knockback damage. The goal of this character is to have enough offensive firepower (strength) to attract the attention of powerful foes, and then enough defenses and recovery to take a pounding for a long time. Learn to love thumbing your nose at the enemy, and giving your teammates the time to take him down.

Being good at hurling casual insults helps attract enemy fire, also. ;)

Corey

Though I also am in the camp of using the environment to your advantage, my past GM was pretty strict that if I wanted a permenant dependable ranged attack, I should buy one. I was allowed to throw the occasional car (ranged, AE, destroyed in 1 hit) but if I spent phase after phase picking up dumpsters, telephone poles, and manhole covers he would eventually say no.

I enjoy Bricks in combat, I just make sure I mix it up and not just punch over and over. Grabs are great if you can identify a foe who has difficulties escaping (normal STR and lacking Teleport or Desol, ect.). Move Throughs are awesome against low DCV opponents (giant robots, stunned villains, ect). Thats said, what I always try to do is make sure I can be useful in between combats, but still feel like a Brick. Another Brick facet I have explored is what I have scientifically termed "smashing stuff". I buy cheap but effective "flavor" powers like +1/2 STR Only for Determining Casual STR, 2" Tunneling Only Through Walls, and Find Weakness Only vs. DEF (the kind objects have).

[EDIT] Example builds for a 60 AP campaign:

+30 STR (60 casual STR total), Only to Determine Casual STR (-1 1/2), 12 pts.

2"/ 18 DEF Tunneling, Limited Medium (Walls Only; -1/2), Linked to Running (-1/2), 29 pts.

Find Weakness [Group (HTH), +3 Roll (14-)], One Type of Defense (DEF; -1) 17 pts.

Combining these powers, there wasn't much I couldn't quickly demolish. The only thing I remember not being able to tear through was a high PD Force Wall (as they have no DEF and cannot be Tunneled through)

I liked this one so well, I DID write it up.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70614

I may or may not do the female Samson.

Try an unusual origin or background.

Unusual Background:

Bill Etin Had always been fascinated by art. As a child he preferred crayons, paints, and clay to any other toys. Had he not been athletically talented as well these interests may have subjected him to teasing and bullying, but his early childhood was quite pleasant.

Then he began to grow fast - too fast - and his STR grew even more than his height. When other children rejected him in fear and hatred, he withdrew deeper into the world of art. Encouraged by his parents, who did not like to see him to isolated, he began taking martial arts instruction as well. That ended when he injured a classmate accidentally.

As he became an adult, he continued to grow larger, stronger, uglier. In looks he was an ogre, but his soul was always that of an artist struggling to create beauty.

A starving artist. Until the day a running superbattle passed through the park where he was quietly trying to sketch a landscape. In a fit of pique he grabbed the fellow who knocked over his easel and tossed him through two trees; then he remembered what he'd learned in the dojo and carefully restrained two more miscreants (one with each hand) without injuring them. Shortly after turning them over the authorities, he found himself talking to reporters; and shortly after that he found his work was in demand.

Hey, if fighting crime sells art, why not? Besides, some people like him now. He's never stopped thinking, when dealing with these fans, "where were you when I was hungry and alone?" but he knows he is grateful for the attention and somehow, he's always felt the right thing to do is to be kind to people. And he likes this group of superheroes who are becoming the first real friends he's had in a long time. And it's not as dangerous as it looks. He learned the hard way he's nearly bulletproof.

Lately Bill has been using his super strength to take his art in a new direction; sculptures made with his bare hands.

Quote: If you buy it, of course I'll deliver it myself. There's no other way to move it without risking damage. Just be sure you have a reinforced floor that can take the weight....

Powers: Besides high STR, defenses, and maybe Growth with Reduced END and Persistant, he should have some basic Martial Arts, and a decent DEX - martial arts and other athletic pursuits made him agile, and he has the sensitive hands of an artist. In fact he may have some form of enhanced touch, and an artist's discerning eye may qualify for Discriminatory on sight. Artistic skills are necessary, and possibly a "Brick Tricks" skill or some sort of STR Power Skill to represent creative and artistic ways of using his super strength. Years of social isolation have left him shy. Shyness and his monstrous appearance leave him at a disadvantage in social situations; he probably won't have any Interaction skills despite having a high PRE.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if I'm going to write those up now.....