superuseless superpowers

Karmakaze

Re: superuseless superpowers

Teleportation, always on, persistant, 0 end, only to fixed locations, one fixed location (bedroom in bed under blankets).

Hmm... How about...

Buckaroo Bonzai Power...

Wherever you go, there you are: Teleportation, always on, persistent, 0 end, must pass through intervening space, only to one fixed location (location is inside clothes currently worn), power limitation (if not wearing clothes, total power loss)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"For the benefit of the court, Mister Smith, please indicate which picture shows your own arse, and which one is a hole in the ground."

Long boring story follows.

My Dad worked on his Master's degree in "Earth Sciences" (Geology plus). As a grad student, he was often assigned to grade papers in subjects that weren't sciences. A set of English papers on "What I did for my Summer Vacation" included a student who went to the Yucatan, where he travelled from village to village on a (mispelled in original) "burrow". Dad circled the word, and wrote in margin...

"Student cannot tell Ass from hole in the ground."

Actually, the old DC Heroes game has a power called UltraVision, which is superman style 'X-Ray Vision' but instead of lead, you can choose a different common substance that it wouldn't let you see through. So I always thought, well why not choose something clear anyway. Like air.

Because if I can see through everything but air with Ultravision, then I can also see through air with normal vision, unless Evil-Man spends points on some power like 'Make a wall of opaque air that cannot be moved in a breeze' which is basically what the darkness power is, and that would work on my hero anyway, whether he could see through air or not.

I also wondered about making the common thing something like glass. Because even if the DM says your Ultravision doesn't work on anything on the other side of glass, who's going to put something they don't want you to see inside a glass box?

And if I decide to not be able to see through living human skin, it makes for an interesting sort of 'anti-X-Ray-vision' which gives my character the perfect excuse for the classic pervert's use of X-ray vision. And it still works really well, because the truly hide something from me, they need to swallow it. Or at least keep it behind their back and make sure to never let me get behind them.

And if I buy it twice, then apply one 'except against living human skin' and the other 'except against clear glass' then the only way to hide something from me completely is to get someone to swallow it and then sit inside a glass box for as long as you want it hidden for.

Of course, it's even easier to get around if I have the appropriate sidekick. If I make a hero who can see through anything except for 'stuff that's coloured blue' then it seems like a massive flaw, like the Green Lanterns had, so the DM will probably allow it. But then I introduce my sidekick, Skippy. Skippy is a squirrel whose only powers are: regeneration about equal to wolverine, but he's just a squirrel so what good is that?, intelligence equal to a 13 year old, and the colour change power. So he's a really weak comic relief sidekick. But combined with my one weakness, the colour blue, it makes me able to see through anything.

Now being able to see through anything might not seem like such a good power, till you realise: It's only a good power if you don't have it. If you don't have any way to see an ambush through a wall or whatever, then the DM can keep having you attacked whenever you walk through a doorway or something. But if you can see through anything and see anyone's hidden weapon, then there's no reason for the DM to plot any ambushes, cause they won't work. You've stopped all ambushes ever. But it might feel like you wasted the points.