Teleporter - Only

Eternal

I have never played the Hero System though I have read a large part of the 5th ed book.

I am looking to make a Champions hero who's only power is teleportation. I have always been a fan of Nightcrawler and I want to mimic his snap teleportation.

My plan is to have several forms of teleports that represent the blinking "blitz port" that can only cover short distances to the long range group teleport.

Defensively I think he will be fine with his increased SPD "for teleports only" (the speed of thought) and his ability to abort to teleport as well as triggered teleports if say he gets Knocked Back.

My issue is Offense. I want him to be a "regular guy" not a super soldier, so while he will have decent dex, he will be lacking in STR and he will not have hundreds of martial arts manuvers. He also will not have a super weapon or Nightcrawlers fencing skills.

I will get a lot of Suprise Attacks from the teleport and I will be able to make a couple small energy blasts from jumping and then teleporting into your face, but I dont want him to just drop people or drop things on people.

One idea I had was that I can release any "kenetic" energy going into the portal as an AoE energy blast on the other side. Anyone have any other ideas on how I can give him a nice offense with my Teleport only theme or just on how to balance/round him out?

THANKS!

- Eternal

new here but looking to stick around

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Teleporter - Only

He could buy an Energy Blast with the Special effect that he teleports to place shaped charges on his victims and then ports out before it explodes.

Other than that, or something similar, I don't see how he could have an offensive capability. Is Martial Arts or enhanced Strength out of the question?

He could buy an Energy Blast with the Special effect that he teleports to place shaped charges on his victims and then ports out before it explodes.

Other than that, or something similar, I don't see how he could have an offensive capability. Is Martial Arts or enhanced Strength out of the question?

Enchanced Strength yes. I could give him some martial arts, but I was hoping to find a way around that.

My creative juices are at a low ebb however....

he could port the air out of his victims lungs. NND EB,

or ports bits and pieces of the local environment into people - RKA

or Ports small pieces of the victims body away from them - NND killing attack,

or ports dust into the eye - flash

or people into solid objects - big NND RKA

You get the idea I hope.

How about an Energy Blast with NND (the defense is the target having it's own 'porting ability)? The special effect is 'porting to the target, 'porting them around a few times, and 'porting them back to where they started. The multiple 'ports causing physical distress.

My creative juices are at a low ebb however....

he could port the air out of his victims lungs. NND EB,

or ports bits and pieces of the local environment into people - RKA

or Ports small pieces of the victims body away from them - NND killing attack,

or ports dust into the eye - flash

or people into solid objects - big NND RKA

You get the idea I hope.

Yea I was thinking about those, I don't really want him to be an "aporter" (teleporting objects around you), I want his teleport to stem from him and then he has to move with it.

Please don't stop giving ideas because I am difficult though :) I really appreciate the help.

Possible offensive powers:

Teleporting the target disorients them (NND attack)

Teleporting such that you materialize an object into their body (KA)

Or, just pack a weapon. :)

How about an Energy Blast with NND (the defense is the target having it's own 'porting ability)? The special effect is 'porting to the target' date=' 'porting them around a few times, and 'porting them back to where they started. The multiple 'ports causing physical distress.[/quote']

I like the teleport about idea. Perhaps an Entangle that includes a teleportation every segment and unless they break the entangle they continue to take damage each time?

Something like this might be helpful as an example:

5 Warping: Multipower, 75-point reserve

7u 1) Personal Warp: Teleportation 20", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+¼) (75 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 7

4u 2) Interpersonal Warp: Teleportation 15", Usable As Attack (x4 maximum weight per inanimate target; ; Not vs Teleporters, Dimensional Travelers, or through Force Fields/Walls; +1 ½) (75 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-½), Side Effects (If Activation Fails, #6 Teleports To Location Intended For Target; -½) (uses END Reserve) 7

5u 3) Long Range Warp: Teleportation 8", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+¼), MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +½), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+¼) (72 Active Points); Can Only Teleport To Floating Fixed Locations (-½) (uses END Reserve) 7

7u 4) T-port Lunge: Stretching 12", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+¼) (75 Active Points) (uses END Reserve) 7

7u 5) Dimensional Attenuation: Energy Blast 3d6 (vs. NND), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +¾), No Normal Defense (Teleportation Powers, EDM, Force Field or Force Wall; +1), Does BODY (+1), Autofire (3 shots; +¼), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (75 Active Points) (uses END Reserve)

AOE Strength Selective.

*poof poof poof* *whap whap whap* Three guys hit the floor.

Stretching (Does Not Cross Intervening Space, No Velocity Damage) For ultimate zwee-fighting.

AP on strength, to represent that you just teleported in the right position to really end someone.

Major Transform (Sighted person into Blind Person, AVLD (resistant Power Defense)) For those times you really want to stick a pencil in someone's eyes...

Fast Teleport: Area Of Effect for STR

Momentum Teleport: +Hand Attack; Must Make 1/2 Move

There And Back: Stretching; Does Not Cross Intervening Space

You Missed!: +DCV (Teleports just a few inches out of the way as a reflex)

Surprise!: +OCV; Must Make 1/2 Move (Teleports right behind someone to catch them 'off guard' even when they're ready); Not Vs Targets With Defensive Maneuver III or IV

You might decide not to worry about having lots of dice in an attack. You'll have to work with your GM to make sure you agree about how to handle such a character. You could still...

• be the bane of agents/mooks
  • help innocent (or not-so-innocent bystanders)
  • grab things
  • disarm people
  • get your teammates to strategically helpful places
  • get your teammates to tactically helpful places
  • Martial Throw villains who have been knocked back (work with your friends) or who are speeding along (speedsters, flyers) into walls or the ground
  • be a distraction -- forcing the villains to waste actions while your friends get in place
  • scout
  • give others a bonus through your PER Rolls, Tactics Rolls, Teamwork Rolls, etc. (this could be rolled up as an Aid/Succor if you wish)

In short, there's no need to match DC potential with the rest of your team.

7u 5) Dimensional Attenuation: Energy Blast 3d6 (vs. NND)' date=' Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +¾), No Normal Defense (Teleportation Powers, EDM, Force Field or Force Wall; +1), Does BODY (+1), Autofire (3 shots; +¼), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (75 Active Points) (uses END Reserve)[/quote']

Trying to figure this last one out. I get the indirect blasts on autofire that don't effect teleporters. Whats it represent though? Are you so acustomed to teleportation that you are punching them across the distance? Or its it diminsianl energy of some sort?

Also it just gave me an Idea for some sort of Absorption power:

You take damage on every jump, but it goes to an Absorption that fuels an AoE blast. After so many jumps in a particular area, material reality begins to flux (represented by the AoE blasts)

You might decide not to worry about having lots of dice in an attack. You'll have to work with your GM to make sure you agree about how to handle such a character. You could still...

• be the bane of agents/mooks
  • help innocent (or not-so-innocent bystanders)
  • grab things
  • disarm people
  • get your teammates to strategically helpful places
  • get your teammates to tactically helpful places
  • Martial Throw villains who have been knocked back (work with your friends) or who are speeding along (speedsters, flyers) into walls or the ground
  • be a distraction -- forcing the villains to waste actions while your friends get in place
  • scout
  • give others a bonus through your PER Rolls, Tactics Rolls, Teamwork Rolls, etc. (this could be rolled up as an Aid/Succor if you wish)

In short, there's no need to match DC potential with the rest of your team.

I like these, whats a mook though?

Mook - generic thug.

Including but not limited to:

-Enemy Organization Agents

-Gangers

-Low Powered Thugs

-Hired Help

-Mafia Soldiers

Basically, all the little guys in the fight that aren't a serious threat, and are basically there to slow down, distract or (with a really lucky shot) mildly injure the Hero.

Here are a couple of teleportation themed power suites I've posted in the past that might give you some inspiration:

Wormhole Stan

52 Does Whatever A Wormhole Can: Multipower, 105-point reserve, (105 Active Points); all slots Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Side Effects (-1/4)

5u 1) Basic Gate: Teleportation 10", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat, Usable By Other (+1/4), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (105 Active Points) 10

4u 2) Defensive Redirect Gate: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, Line Of Sight (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Full Range (+1) (105 Active Points); Will Not Work Against Heavy Missiles (-1/4), Visible (-1/4)

4u 3) You Can See What I See: Clairsentience (Sight, Hearing, Radio And Smell/Taste Groups), Targeting, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (105 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (-1/2) 4

5u 4) Offensive Redirect Gate: Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2) for up to 70 Active Points of Any Ranged Attack, Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (105 Active Points) 4

5u 5) Acme Gate: Stretching 7", Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Source Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) (105 Active Points) 5

5u 6) Watch Where You're Going!: Teleportation 8", Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1) (104 Active Points) 5

re: The Gate Limitation

Was not an option in HDv3 but an additional (-1/2) Custom Limitation on slot 1) would only save "1" real point.

and

The Deliveryman

75 Deliveryman Powers: Multipower, 75-point reserve

7u 1) Same Day Pickup & Delivery: Teleportation 15", No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x4 Increased Mass, x4 Noncombat, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 2) Next Day Ground: Teleportation 10", No Relative Velocity, x32 Noncombat, x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 3) Next Day Air: Teleportation 5", No Relative Velocity, x4 Increased Mass, Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 4) Special Pickup: Teleportation 10", Ranged (+1/2), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1) (75 Active Points) - END=7

6u 5) Special Delivery: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Whatever the material that is teleported into target; +1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects, SFX Only (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4) - END=7

6u 6) We'll Box It For You: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4) (75 Active Points); Variable Limitations (requires -1/2 worth of Limitations; Based on material used to create Entangle; -1/4) - END=7

7u 7) Let's Open That Package: Dispel 5d6, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; Any focus or physical manifestation based ability; +1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Cumulative (+1/2), Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4), all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 8) I'm Sorry, We Lost Your Package: Naked Advantage: Indirect (Any origin, any direction; +3/4) for up to 40 Active Points, Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (75 Active Points) - END=7

7u 9) Let's See If We Have That In Stock: Clairsentience (Sight Group), x64 Range (14,400"), Analyze, Discriminatory, Targeting, Tracking (75 Active Points) - END=7

25 Tracking Labels: Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (5 Locations)

Re: The Deliveryman

The first 3 slots are personal movement only and the differences between them is primarily the distance traveled.

Slots 4 & 5 are combat oriented. The one with UAA can be used to 'grab' nearly anything or anyone. The RKA represents literally teleporting something into something or someone else. Both the UAA and the NND still need to have a defense described.

Slot 7 is good against focus based characters

Slot 8 would allow the character to redirect someone else's power (like a teammate) of up to 40 active points at range and at any direction he chooses.

Slot 9 would allow the character to find something. (He could assign a "Tracking Label" to later teleport it).

:cool:

HM

Trying to figure this last one out. I get the indirect blasts on autofire that don't effect teleporters. Whats it represent though? Are you so acustomed to teleportation that you are punching them across the distance? Or its it diminsianl energy of some sort?

No, it represents the character directly manipulating the dimensional anchoring of a target, causing damage at a molecular level. The powerset is lifted from a t-porter whose SFX is subconscious dimensional manipulation. The visual effect of the power was that the target(s) phased in and out rapidly, which disoriented them and was unpleasant. Other Tporters and dimensional travelers can innately use their own powers to avoid / counter the effect, and force fields / force walls prevent targeting the ability in the first place.

You could get some velocity by repeatedly falling from the ceiling to the floor, teleporting back up before hitting the ground, in rapid succession - then crash into someone with your accumulated force.

Power wise: I'd just make this a Hand to Hand attack, or lots of Stretching with velocity damage.

Alternately, while you don't have much inherent offensive power, there's no reason you can't use weaponry. As mentioned above, you could teleport behind someone, slap an explosive charge on their back, and teleport away. Or just shoot/stab/taser people from odd angles.

Power wise: Indirect+Ranged as a naked advantage, plus some OAF/OIF weaponry.

Given that you seem to only want to be a teleporter, not an apporter, I think I'd focus on things like:

telekinesis, only to the limit of your strength - to represent teleporting right up next to the target, punching him, and then teleporting right back. Some would buy it as stretching, without crossing the intervening distance.

teleport, usable on others - with the SFX not being that you apport people, but that you teleport to them, pick them up, teleport them somewhere else, and then teleport right back. Useful for keeping enemy bricks away from your weaker teammates. Or moving your own side's bricks right up next to the enemy mentalist...

An entangle with an OIF of objects of availability - that you blink in and out a hundred times a second and essentially pile crap all over the target.

An idea I used for a teleport-only NPC was Summoning. He'd teleport animals in from the zoo or the pound or whatever was near. Maybe it couldn't take down Mechanon or Sunburst but it sure tied up the mid-level villains.

We gave it a limitation: "can only summon on turns that he teleports, -1/4" and "only with there is an explainable source of wildlife within the region, -0 (since it was intentionally vague; he basically couldn't use it on the moon or space ships or out at Sea). In combat he'd half teleport and summon a snake, a bear, or a lion. We explained it as "he teleports to the animal and returns with it instantly" .

It was amusing.

I have a character like this. She can only teleport herself, but she can do so quickly and precisely, so aside from the teleport itself she has a bunch of OCV and DCV levels that cost END, to represent zwee-fighting, as well as a 'sucker punch' HA linked to her 'port. She has Stretching/does not cross intervening space. Most of her effectiveness, though, is centered around her already having been a badass normal before she got her powers.

You might want something like Flying Dodge that you can use with your teleports. Another power that might help a squishy type, which I've used extensively:

Close Call: +1 (or more) SPD, Only to Abort to Defense (-1)

I thinking about building a Tporters Martial Art like the Speedsters version.

Flying Dodge obviously...

Martial Disarm few others might fit too. You could even design a MArt with all manoeuvres having Full Moves too represent you porting away after doing anything.

Have you selected a special effect for his teleportaion power? It's hard to figure out appropriate suggestions without knowing how/why he teleports.

Excellent question, and I am not 100% yet, but I like the idea of molecular/dimensional instability.

I don't want him to be consciously doing anything, he just thinks of where he wants to go and goes. He doesn't have to open a wormhole or anything.