Megascale Movement, Lightspeed, and Escape Velocity

DocMan

I've been developing a character called Inferno, as evidenced by a number of recent threads on him. He is a classic Human Torch type EB character. I had originally built him with 15" of regular flight, and something like 10" of Megascale flight at the 1" = 1 km range. My GM decided that my Megascale flight didn't belong in my EC, and moved it to my 60-point Multipower. This has resulted in upping the inches of Megascale to 20". And as my GM calculates it, upping Inferno's top speed to 16,777 MPH. He doesn't have the END to keep up that speed for a full hour, but it is fast.

So I started looking at the power, and realized that all our calculations had been done with just one level of Megascale. So I began to play.

Somewhere around 8 levels of Megascale movement, the character breaks lightspeed. And with the added Can Scale Down advantage, can still have something like 15" of Megascale movement.

I think I topped out my playing with 10" Megascale 1" = 1 billion km, Can Scale Down.

But this also triggered some frightening thoughts... Earth's escape velocity is 11.2 km/sec. Or just think of it as 12" Megascale 1" = 1 km. Yup. With just 12" of movement, you can reach escape velocity in a single phase. Just watch out for the guy with Megascale flight Usable as a Weapon. Even if you can survive in space, if you can't fly back, you're on a one-way ticket ride.

Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me I've screwed up the calculations. But then show me what it does take to reach escape velocity or break Lightspeed with a little Megascale movement.

Doc

Re: Megascale Movement, Lightspeed, and Escape Velocity

I am not a numbers stickler so being off by a little doesn't whigg me like some other people, so I am not going to jump all over proving if this concept is mathematically shaky.

This concept is essentially correct and represents the idea behind megascale. Now applying both UBO usable as an attack and megascale to a power like flight is very abusive and should be adjudicated carefully. It would not make it into one of my games, but in a DBZ game or something where knockback was bought with a megascale advantage then sure thing.

hmmm naked advantage (megascale 1"/1,000,000,000 Km) [+2 1/2] on 100 STR only applies to knockback [-1/2] x2 END [-1/2] 125 points which fits nicely in a megapowerful bricks Brick Tricks MP

There's a saying you should keep in mind though. "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it." A Human Torch rip off having escape velocity I could almost buy. But light speed? I don't see it. Your GM made a good call on having you put your MS move into your MP but I'd really give some thought as to whether you need the move you have. Just be true to your concept.

To be fair HSD Doc was just pointing out something he noticed, not that he was trying to get a Lightspeed Human Torch (that character is called FireLord and is a Herald of Galactus!)

This thread should be in the 5th Ed discussion forum but who cares..Sean Waters might find it here too, and we all know how much he loves conversations like this.

No side effects from breaking the sound barrier within the limits of a city?

Currently worried about staying on the planet. Will get to the city later.

Actually, sonic booms shouldn't be THAT much of an issue, as long as they aren't too low. I would expect there to be some minimum altitude that authorities expect you to achieve before going supersonic.

Then again, if it was Megascale running instead of flight, you would have the same sonic boom issues...

Doc

There's a saying you should keep in mind though. "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it." A Human Torch rip off having escape velocity I could almost buy. But light speed? I don't see it. Your GM made a good call on having you put your MS move into your MP but I'd really give some thought as to whether you need the move you have. Just be true to your concept.

I don't intend to BUY a power with Megascale bumped up high enough to exceed lightspeed. I was just surprised at how cheap it was. And how low escape velocity is.

The scary thought is that if you stun/KO someone who is moving at a Megascale velocity (no doubt using an attach with a Megascale AOE), they have to regain consciousness and decelerate before they leave the atmosphere or they are dead. How long they have depends on the length of the chord they cut across the atmosphere.

Doc

You know I got wrapped around the idea of a Torch clone going into space that I didn't notice it was just an observation. In all seriousness I'm sorry if I offended. I'm used to dealing with power gamers and I jumped to a conclusion. :o

I'm sorry and I'll try to pay better attention in the future.

Then again' date=' if it was Megascale running instead of flight, you would have the same sonic boom issues...[/quote']

You might also have issues with melting all the asphalt off the roads, depending on special effect.

The scary thought is that if you stun/KO someone who is moving at a Megascale velocity (no doubt using an attach with a Megascale AOE)' date=' they have to regain consciousness and decelerate before they leave the atmosphere or they are dead. How long they have depends on the length of the chord they cut across the atmosphere.[/quote']

Unless they have Life Support; then they just wake up a few AU away and have to turn around and start accellerating back.

Yep. The most outrageous construction I have ever seen:

1 Bowling for Galactus: 1 pip RKA, OAF Immobile Expendable: Earth (-2 1/2) 1 Charge, Never Recovers (-4). (5 Active, 1 Real)

Clearly this is humorous. But at what point does this sort of thing become the realm of humor and fantasy? Probably about the time the Human Torch breaks lightspeed.

BTW: Balabanto and I were playing with Megascale on Growth. (It increases your size, but not your mass). You could make someone as large as the Milky Way, and weigh about 440 lbs with just a handful of points. But wouldjawanna?

well unless you buy an attack power with trail on it you would be very areodynamic and your going over Mach 1 might scare cats, blow hats off,ruin rose gardens and knock over trash cans

also unless you have a limited amount of endurance(match your end use per turn with post 12 recovery)you can escape earths gravity by going 1"per phase (so long as you can breathe and your flight does not require an outside oxidizer

modern rockets are limited by fuel so they need to reach escape velocity

BTW: Balabanto and I were playing with Megascale on Growth. (It increases your size' date=' but not your mass). You could make someone as large as the Milky Way, and weigh about 440 lbs with just a handful of points. But wouldjawanna?[/quote']

Yeah, but at that density you'd be made out of neutrinos or something and effectively have Desolid; of course, you'd need Desolid anyway, otherwise the odds of having some deadly event or object somewhere within your radius would be so high that you'd be in incredible danger.

It's weird to think about the consequences of certain power constructs. What if you had Megascale Stretching? You could reach out and touch the stars.

re: Megascale vs. FTL

60 Flight 5", No Turn Mode (+1/4), No Gravity Penalty (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1 lightyear; +3 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (60 Active Points) - END=0

which is roughly equivalent to:

60 Faster-Than-Light Travel (1 Light Years/second) - END=0

Also, have you considered just applying the Variable Advantage to your Elemental Control Flight?

example:

45 Flight 15", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Reduced END, No Turn Mode or Megascale; +1/2) (45 Active Points) - END=4

At full speed the character would need to be careful to not get too high in the atmosphere as he might run out of air (and the ability to go back down with it).

re: Megascale vs. FTL

60 Flight 5", No Turn Mode (+1/4), No Gravity Penalty (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 1 lightyear; +3 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4) (60 Active Points) - END=0

which is roughly equivalent to:

60 Faster-Than-Light Travel (1 Light Years/second) - END=0

Well, the big difference here is that the flight power can go 1 km if needed.

Also, have you considered just applying the Variable Advantage to your Elemental Control Flight?

example:

45 Flight 15", Variable Advantage (+1/4 Advantages; Reduced END, No Turn Mode or Megascale; +1/2) (45 Active Points) - END=4

No, I had not considered that one. I will have to take a look at that and see if my GM will let me up the points in the EC. I might be able to squeeze some extra points for other goodies if he buys the idea.

Good point!

Doc

• 2 years later...

Where are the rules on "megascale"? I only have up to edition 4 and haven't seen it. Is that a 5th edition or 6th edition thing?

Yes, it's a Power Advantage introduced in 5e and modified in 6e. It primarily has to do with non-combat movement but can also be applied to the scale of Range and/or AOE effects as well.

Wouldn't most of these negative effects of high speed movement be Limitation? Or IO' date=' if you don't take them your character doesn't suffer from them (for whatever comic book physics reason) even if they are "realistic"?[/quote']

Yes, thay mostly are Limitations. By default you never suffer "realistic" consequences of your Powers, unless they are specified with a Limtiation or in the description of the power.

Realistically you would need a tough skin and LS: Breathing to survive mach-speed flight/running, or supertough bones to not break your hand while hitting with 12d6 from STR.

I think you could even use FTL without the Life support for space, but since you need to be far enough "out" before starting you will need a long breath and warm underwear to get from/to you starting distance.

Yes, thay mostly are Limitations. By default you never suffer "realistic" consequences of your Powers, unless they are specified with a Limtiation or in the description of the power.

Realistically you would need a tough skin and LS: Breathing to survive mach-speed flight/running, or supertough bones to not break your hand while hitting with 12d6 from STR.

I think you could even use FTL without the Life support for space, but since you need to be far enough "out" before starting you will need a long breath and warm underwear to get from/to you starting distance.

I always try to enforce this when I build a character, and I look for it in other people's builds as well. Unless the character is specifically built to highlight some limitation I expect some sort powers and stats in the build to handle these issues and some discussion of the rationale in the write-up.

I see' date=' it's for the power munchkins.[/quote']

You apperantly got:

50m Leaping, Megascaled (1m= 100 km), Inacurate, Only to Jump to Conclusions(-2).

Megascale is a nice advantage, designed to "build flavorfull but not game breaking abilities".

Most common is megascaled movement, wich has all the drawbacks of Non-Combat Movement and then some.

Also common is Megascale for Spaceships (sensor, movement).

Or to define some fringe powers, like the "instant, citywide icestorm".

Mind Scan has some Levels build into it (I think the equivalent of +1 1/2 Megascale or so).

You apperantly got:

50m Leaping, Megascaled (1m= 100 km), Inacurate, Only to Jump to Conclusions(-2).

Megascale is a nice advantage, designed to "build flavorfull but not game breaking abilities".

Most common is megascaled movement, wich has all the drawbacks of Non-Combat Movement and then some.

Mind Scan has some Levels build into it (I think the equivalent of +1 1/2 Megascale or so).

I have to agree. When properly monitored it fixes a problem that was very common in earlier editions of the game. Even at starting point totals, some characters should have the ability to travel between cities easily, or to attain orbital flight. You could never do this before. In the past to get that build, you would just have to throw points at it until the character ended up costing 500 points or more just in movement powers.

I'm not saying it can't be abused, but it comes in handy when used maturely.

You apperantly got:

So you're a power munchkin. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into. I find it a bore.