The fall of your character

Desert

Alright, so everyone who plays hopes that their character will last until the point that it can be retired, and there are times where that does not happen. A bad roll, a bad choice, an act of sacrifice that is in character, a cruel gm; these are all events that can cause a character to die.

And so, I place it to the player to see what will be the death of your character. How will it all end?

This is actually a two part one in a matter. One would be "what would be preferred." If you had it your way, that's how your character would die. The other is "what is most likely to happen." This is what seems like what will probably happen based on as much of the above as possible is considered.

In example:

I have a friend who likes to play fast agile characters. In many cases, he tends to go toward martial arts, and is planning on playing a saiyan style character.

Now if I asked him, most likely he would say that he would want his character to die sacrificing himself to destroy a villain. (This is hypothetically. I have not actually asked him).

However, my friend tends to make his characters very curious. If there is something there, he just canNOT leave it alone no matter how dangerous it is. As such, my being in an irritable mood combined with a bad roll on his part will probably more than likely be killed by messing with something he should not. It's quite interesting when you present someone with a large button that says "Do NOT touch" and they can't help but push it.

Re: The fall of your character

For Boomtown Brawler, I guarantee there's a woman involved. Not that he's particularly interested in women. He's more incurious about them. He is an adult in most ways, but there's something missing from his emotional toolbox that prevents him from forming romantic relationships.

While it's not in his list of Disadvantages nor in his official backstory, I know in my own heart that when a woman is able to break through to him and he gains the insight into what it means to have romantic love, that'll be the day that he dies.

Either that, or being burned alive somehow in rocket exhaust, say, or thrown into a volcano.

Volt - How he would like to go? One of two. 1) Peacefully in his sleep of old age after he retires. 2) Rescuing an innocent- or more than one.

How he probably would: See #2,

Olorin - How he would like to go? See Volt's number one. Not possible right now, since he does not age. Most likely? Saving the universe. (or at least the world.) Basically goes out like a nova, expending all his energy beating back the darkness.

Black Tiger - How he would like to go and how he would most likely go are the same. Taking down a villian and dying at the same time.

Futurian - His preference would be to go home to the future, live a normal life and die of old age in bed with a beautiful young woman. (Yeah, he's that type.) Most likely to go doing something well meant, but not thought out and fairly stupid. "Hmm... What happens if I do...." Bam!

Leadman - Desired death - Old age surrounded by family. (see a pattern here?) Most likely? Horatio at the bridge. Doing something heroic and hopeless to buy time or not let evil triumph.

Oooooh, I've got *lots* for this one. :3 I barely ever make a character without some sort of mental image of how they'll bite it in the end - it's the Tragedian in me.

Just to get a start going....

Void: Most likely a heroic stand against the forces of the anti-mutant groups out to get him. Alternately, going down in flames, taking his ex with him, after she escapes from confinement and comes for him with alien psychic powers blazing.

Outsider: Assuming his team doesn't get him killed at some point, his most likely fate is a Hail Mary pass to take himself, a Qliphothic-infused Doctor Destroyer, and the new Destroyer's master (it's a long story, kinda) back into the Qliphothic.

Crusader: Has actually just met her end, most likely - she got caught when one of her villainous personalities came out, and will probably be spending most of the rest of her life in a mental ward.

Guardian Angel: There's a part of me that wanted him to achieve humanity, or at least to retire to a relatively private existence in the Underground, but sadly, his end came when the dimension he was in collapsed into nothingness without warning. :(

Steele: Most likely? Cindy Cartell, her psychotic stalker, will get hold of her while she's in non-super ID and go all Misery on her. :help:

What I'd like to see happen? Steele sacrificing herself for somebody she's actually in love with, rather than just using for some fun and inspiration for her next novel....

Elaina Narvois: Not a Champions character, but her end is (hopefully) going to be either at the hands of her own party after she goes *way* too far hunting for revenge, or while obtaining said vengeance.

Huntress: Most likely going out in a screaming blaze of glory in the midst of a Desoxyn rush....

(Notice that markedly few of them have happy endings? Yeah, it's the Tragedian in me...)

Soulbarb would be way too involved to go into here. I've just about got a life story mapped out for her in my head -- the bare bones of one at least. Maybe someday I'll write up enough of it to go into more detail.

Sylph is the Champion of Dionysius and isn't likely to die (at least not permanently.) Most likely, when the time comes for her to retire, she will wind up taking up residence in the Land of Legends, and Dionysius will choose someone else to take up her mantle.

Ruin has died several times already. He gets better, much to his chagrin. He would love to finish the job once and for all, but there's this little matter of a curse involving a love triangle that needs to be tended to first. He'll either have to have his obsession with his love interest be truly requited, or will have to give up on it entirely and willingly in favour of a rival, for his finale to play out and for him to die a final death.

John McCormack (aka Revenant) has already died as well, he just doesn't know it yet. He'll have to find and recognize his granddaughter, and realize the true nature of his continued presence in the world of the living, before he might be willing to move on. On the other hand, that could just be an occasion for a radiation accident, wherein he decides upon a new calling for himself on Earth, and opts not to go quite yet after all...

Black Tiger - Would ideally meet his end after having wrought his vengeance upon the ninja clan that killed his parents and kidnapped him. Unfortunately, he's not THAT vengeance obsessed, and he's not a killer. Much more likely that he will meet his demise when fighting YET ANOTHER brick whose defenses he cannot penetrate.

Psi Lord - Would ideally die surrounded by his children and grandchildren. His corporation successful, and knowing that he made a positive difference in the world. Most likely he will actually die while still unmarried, after knocking himself out fighting Devastator AGAIN and being crushed under Devastator's feet.

Flicker - Would like to die after leading a normal life with a girlfriend, a job, and everything. Ideally, he'll die in combat saving the life of one of his teammates, or some other important person. Most likely he'll die thinking that he still has time to get to a safe distance after disposing of the bo-

Rampart - Would ideally die after a long career, sacrificing himself to save his country. Most likely he'll be killed when The Medalist decides to go over to Doctor Z's side because normal humans are too weak to be worth thinking about and he tries to stop her.

Moleculon - Probably won't die now that he has transformed his body into a psycho-active hyperfluid. But he would like to be able to visit with his daughter again. He is most likely to die because some overpowered mentalist finds a way to shatter his psyche and his body loses all cohesion.

Inferno - Is my character most likely to achieve his ideal death: pushing his power too far to stop a threat to humanity and being consumed in the process.

I'm sure I have more characters, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Doc

Ashley: Would most likely (and this is the method I'd prefer) end up fighting his nemesis in a final, glorious battle that would rob his opponent of his power. A the last moment, Ashley would save his life at the cost of his own, ultimately redeeming himself of his many sins. If not that way, odds are he'd die from brain damage from watching a Fox News marathon.

Titan :

He would like to go out in a major brawl between him and one of the heavy hitters of the version of the Marvel universe's future that he's in.

As a player, I'd like him to go out buying the rest of the team time to come up with a plan to take down said heavy.

More than likely, given the nature of the team and Titan's skills and personal supporting cast, he's more likely to live to a ripe old age and die trying to muster the strength to go take on the new up and coming next generation but not having any accept the challenge (he'll be at that time a retired Avenger with all the prestige that involves after all).

The Vigilante; Sundance kid.... but Viper, rather than Federales....

Killer Kommando: Trying to wrestle yet annother supernatural being...(If he gets a vote, mud wrasslin with Kali...)

NightOwl: trying to save the world, but a utility belt just does not count for much vs Mechanon....

Ocho, Mayan Vampires....

Black Knight discovers in battle that his nigh-unstoppable regeneration/resurrection power does, in fact, have limits. He'll go just the way he always wanted to go: horribly.

Black Mask As a superhumanly effective martial artist (think The Matrix) but ultimately a regular human being, eventually the odds catch up to him. He'd die fighting the good fight against one too many (or one too lucky) opponents.

Iron Maiden, being nearly invulnerable, will probably get killed without any warning by an attack that nobody could have survived. And they really mean "nobody"--not even Iron Maiden, apparently.

Fore Eyes: Wants to die happily surrounded by his family amny years hence. Likely will die when something he fails to foresee kills him or even his foresight is useless to stop the outcome, probably trying unsuccessfully to do so.

Hardball: Wants to die frrom a bullet to the brain from ther gun of the Master of Crime at the same time as he puts something long, sharp and lethal through that person's brain. Likely will die from an assassin's bullet when he least expects it.

Karma: Wants to die Rich beyond the dreams of Midas. Will likely die trying to become so.

Maybe I can give a better example and get people a little more inspired. I unfortunately don't have a champion character I can actually use (I'm the one who plans on running the game and am just finishing up reading the core book before even creating characters for the players), so I'm going use a character I played the past two weeks who happens to be a sorcerer.

Now my current plan is to have him learn to make constructs and various other items. So if he gets killed, let it be as he tries to get one last key ingredient for his amazing construct. :D

However, the last time I played, I got two critical failures on two separate attacks, I took ten, then got knocked out by the enemy:mad:. So most likely, the character is going to die from a critical failure on my part, followed by a critical success by the gm for the npc

I typically like to play female Powered armor characters after Bubble Gum Crisis

Power Spyke - Though she is a Martial Arts fighter, she has a "Die By the Sword" Code of Honor. I see her being killed by a superior foe.

Stylus - Powered armor EB. She is a Hot head who is cocky who thinks she can win the fight. In fact she should be dead by now if one of her friends hadn't pulled her from certaind death. That old say about Running away to Fight another day is lost on her.

Sling Steel - High flying EB. She's the easiest. I see somthing happening way up in the clouds to her armor. It's a loooong fall to the ground