Demolition Dunphy: Where's the Love?!

fbdaury

Okay, so as not to threadjack Split's Cap America thread, I thought I'd start a new thread and ask a question that has always made me wonder: Why all the D-Man cracks and jokes? And not just here either, but all throughout the Marvel Universe- what makes him such a joke? He's superstrong, supertough, has studied wrestling with Ben Grimm and personal combat with Captain America, and adventured with Cap during his "Captain" phase- he was even the one who gave Cap the Captain unifoam that USAgent now disgraces by wearing, although not quite as much as he disgraced the Captain America uniform.

Dunphy was one of the few clients of the Power Broker who refused to attack the Thing and Ms. Marvel and instead went through painful withdrawl from the addictive drugs the PB had hooked all his clients on; risked his life to save a bad guy and stop a Doomsday device at the same time, acted as a protector for Zerotown, been an unofficial Avenger, etc. So why can't the man catch some respect? With all the lame characters in the MU that are given the 'push' (intentional use of wrestline jargon there, why can't D-Man even get the basic respect that he both deserves and has earned?

Re: Demolition Dunphy: Where's the Love?!

Very good question, D-Man has always been a personal favorite of mine as well. Maybe the disrespect is because he stole the costume from Daredevil's early days?

I don't understand why Daredevil got the respect he did. That character's powers are actually quite lame in my opinion and are either not that useful really or all powerful.

It's an elitist thing. He's a fanboy like the rest of us; he's a wrestler, for goodness' sake; and he actually uses his powers to help a forgotten community underground instead of fighting for fame and glory and so forth.

Plus he smells really bad.

I like D-Man too. I think he gets the respect he deserves from those who count- the readers.

Very good question' date=' D-Man has always been a personal favorite of mine as well. Maybe the disrespect is because he stole the costume from Daredevil's early days?[/quote']

Not just Daredevil. Daredevil AND Wolverine.

I don't understand why Daredevil got the respect he did. That character's powers are actually quite lame in my opinion and are either not that useful really or all powerful.

:confused:

Sure, in a fight having multiple targeting senses is only really powerful in certain situations. But the super senses make impossible detective work and a lot of crazy social interactions much easier.

I never HATED D-Man, but he didn't do much for me.

He was a generic strongman. Okay, he had wrestling skills, but so did a lot of Marvel bricks from that time (because the WWF was really hitting its stride, and they were catching the wave, I assume). His costume was a combination of the original Daredevil costume (ugly) and Wolverine's mask (st00pid).

His personality seemed similarly generic.

D-Man designed his own costume to be an homage to Wolverine and Daredevil, which is why it looks like an homage to Wolverine and Daredevil.

And for the record I've got no ideas of ownership of any character I dissect and analyze. I'm happy someone else has some love for D-Man!

D-Man designed his own costume to be an homage to Wolverine and Daredevil, which is why it looks like an homage to Wolverine and Daredevil.

And for the record I've got no ideas of ownership of any character I dissect and analyze. I'm happy someone else has some love for D-Man!

The fact that he wanted his costume to be an homage to Wolverine is serious points off in my book.

Eh, I may not have liked the original DD outfit, but I actually kinda like D-Man's outfit, it makes more sense for a stand-up brick type character than a stealthy ninja-type. I think that the costume works for him, but YMMV (and apparently does).

Come to think of it, Wolverine and Daredevil would be really strange characters for someone who lives in the MU to want to homage. Neither one of them has a high profile in their universe. More likely to see someone homaging the Avengers or Fantastic Four. For as guy like D-Man, maybe an homage to Thor would be better.

I always thought he was cool' date=' kind of a poor man's brick. At 15 tons of strength, I think he represented the pinnacle of the Power Broker Treatment.[/quote']

Sharon Ventura (Ms Marvel II) was at the 15 ton level. And much hotter! Well, until she became She-Thing...

I believe it was stated in the issue, but barring that it's not like Marvel was ever shy about it. Check the cover:

328-13.jpg

Oh! Okay, thanks.

And I love Cap's thought balloon. The only thing that could make it better would be for him to think, "But at least it can't get any worse!"

I always thought he was cool' date=' kind of a poor man's brick. At 15 tons of strength, I think he represented the pinnacle of the Power Broker Treatment.[/quote']

And just think, if D-Man were in the WWE he'd still have to job for Trips, Cena, and Orton.

Actually, there's no evidence that he's the peak of Power Broker's abilities. His strength is paltry compared to some of the people Power Broker has worked on. USAgent can press 40 tons, and he was a Power Broker product. In fact, Power Broker's treatment can go awry and confer so much strength that the recipient's body structure cannot support the added muscles/power, and needs to be augmented by a metal exoskeleton.

But yeah, D-Man would be like the #3 contender for the ECW championship.

...and since I just wrote him, I ought to know better. Let me look...

OK. Got it. He is Class 10 Strength. Which in Marvel's old FASERIP system translates to Incredible (40). Which is where I got the 40 ton figment from.

He is class 10 strength. Which means he can lift about 10 tons without Pushing. About STR 43 in Hero system.