Ultraman

OddHat

Ultraman, Japan's greatest Transforming Superhero.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31512&stc=1&d=1241554499

ULTRAMAN

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

110 STR 25 31- Lift 104.9ktons; 22d6; [10]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV 6 DCV 6

63 CON 16 22-

30 BODY 10 15-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

40 PRE 5 17- PRE Attack: 8d6

10 COM 0 11-

50 PD 3 Total: 50 PD (25 rPD)

45 ED 7 Total: 45 ED (25 rED)

5 SPD 23 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

35 REC 0

125 END 0

118 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 126

Movement: Running: 36" / 1152"

Flight: 36" / 1152"

Cost Powers END

Martial Arts: Space Police Training

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 1) Ultra Punch +0 +2 24d6 Strike

5 2) Ultra Chop / Kick -2 +1 26d6 Strike

3 3) Defensive Throw +1 +1 Block, Target Falls

3 4) Martial Throw +0 +1 22d6 +v/5, Target Falls

75 Greater Strength: +75 STR 7

30 Greater Mass: +15 BODY

90 Greater Endurance: +45 CON

25 More Impressive: +25 PRE

30 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -15" 0

68 Reach: Stretching 16", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (120 Active Points); Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) 0

140 Ultra Speed: Running +30" (36" total), x32 Noncombat, Usable As Flight (+1/4), Usable as Swimming (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (140 Active Points) Note: Ultraman usually shouts "Shuwatchu" as he leaps into flight 6

94 Ultra Tough: Armor (25 PD/25 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (94 Active Points) 0

60 Ultra Tough: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% 0

60 Ultra Tough: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% 0

50 Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) 0

53 Gargantuan Size: +10 with All Combat (80 Active Points); Sweep, Spread and other size related uses only Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) Note: Ultraman is Gargantuan; he can Sweep, Spread, and otherwise affect large areas in ways human scale characters cannot. Levels can't be used for DCV.

18 Fine by Next Scene: Healing 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) 0

37 Clairvoyance Beam: (Total: 37 Active Cost, 37 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 5) plus Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 5) plus Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group), Range (Real Cost: 27) 0

20 Telepathic Speech: Universal Translator 13-

120 Ultra Special Attacks: Multipower, 120-point reserve Note: Ultraman doesn't blast away with his special attacks, instead using them as fight enders. Often, they are described as exhausting. This is reflected here with their relatively high END cost.

12u 1) Specium Ray: Energy Blast 16d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (120 Active Points) Note: The Specium Ray causes pain to even the toughest monsters, and can often kill a stunned opponent outright (use Haymaker). 12

12u 2) Ultura Slash / Cutting Halo: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6+1, Penetrating (+1/2) (120 Active Points) 12

12u 3) Ultura Air Catch / Psychokinesis: Telekinesis (80 STR) (120 Active Points) 12

12u 4) Ultura Current: Energy Blast 24d6 (120 Active Points) Note: Ultraman condenses water from the atmosphere into a powerful jet 12

12u 5) Catch Rings / Ultura Spin: Entangle 9d6, 10 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4) (119 Active Points) 12

Perks

12 Contact: Science Special Search Party (SSSP) (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 8-

15 Contact: Space Security Board (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 8-

3 Reputation: Ultraman (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6

Skills

Teacher at Space University

3 1) KS: Life Forms of the Galaxy 13-

3 2) PS: Teacher 13-

3 AK: Earth 13-

Chief of Space Garison

3 1) KS: Space Law 13-

2 2) KS: Space Law Enforcement World 11-

3 3) PS: Space Police Officer 13-

3 4) AK: Nebula M73 the Land of Light 13-

3 5) Bureaucratics 17-

3 6) Criminology 13-

3 7) Deduction 13-

3 8) Concealment 13-

19 Power: Ultura Powers 21- Note: Ultraman sometimes comes up with odd one use powers that are never seen again.

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 1127

Total Cost: 1252

200+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Goes into coma when energy exhausted (Infrequently, Fully Impairing) Note: Ultraman's energy (his END) is tracked by his Color Timer, the blinking light on his chest. If his END hits 0, the Color Timer stops blinking, and Ultraman will go into a coma until he recieves appropriate medical treatment.

15 Physical Limitation: Can not remain in Ultra form on Earth for more than 5 minutes (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity: Shin Hayata (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders from Space Security Board (Occasionally, Major)

10 Hunted: Space Security Board 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Hunted: Giant Monsters and Alien Threats 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Physical Limitation: Size: Gargantuan, -10 DCV, +10 to PER rolls to spot (All the Time, Greatly Impairing) Note: Ultraman is 40 meters tall and weighs 35,000 tons. His mere presence is enough to cause massive damage in an urban environment, and makes virtually all human scale weapons and equipment useless to him.

20 Psychological Limitation: Must Protect the Innocent (Common, Total) Note: Ultraman is a dedicated Space Police officer. He will protect the innocent above all else.

20 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to speak with Humans (Very Common, Strong) Note: Ultraman very rarely speaks with Humans other than Hayata, presumably to avoid interfering in Earth's development more than he must. He also rarely speaks to monsters or aliens.

917 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 1252

Background/History: Son of the Director of Space Security for the "Land of Light" (Nebula M78), Ultraman led a distinguished career as a Space Police Officer, eventually becoming the Space Garrison Chief and instructing at the Space University. When pursuing a space criminal to Earth, Ultraman's Travel Sphere crashed into the jet of fellow law officer Shin Hayata. Hayata was killed. To make up for this tragic error, Ultraman merged his life force with Hayata's, reviving Hayata at the price of stranding Ultraman on Earth. The two men now share one life. On Earth, Ultraman has dedicated his life to defending Humanity against the plague of aliens and monsters that seem always about to destroy it. Why these attacks began shortly before Ultraman's arival remains unclear.

Despite the loss of his Travel Sphere (without which Ultraman may not travel through interstellar space), Ultraman remains in occasional contact with his own people.

Personality/Motivation: Ultraman is an exemplary Space Police Officer, brave and dedicated to the protection of the innocent. Given his freedom he would use his great powers to defend the galaxy from cosmic criminals; given the debt of honor he owes to Hayashi, he is satisfied to defend the Earth.

Quote: Shuwatch!

Powers/Tactics: Ultraman has vast superhuman size and strength, and is nearly invulnerable to conventional weapons (though the attacks of Daikaiju can still harm him, as can advanced military hardware). He is nearly invulnerable to environmental damage, has a wide range of energy projection powers based on stored solar power, can fly at over Mach V in Earth's atmosphere, and has shown many other powers beside.

However, Ultraman is not invincible. Giant monsters and aliens like himself can harm him, and the very best of Earth's military hardware is a legitimate threat. Most importantly, Ultraman's energy in Earth's atmosphere is limited. On his chest is the Color Timer, a glowing light that tracks his power expenditure. If his power is exhausted in battle (his END reaches 0), or if he remains in his Ultra form in Earth's atmosphere for more than 5 minutes, he will colapse into a coma. When his END becomes low, or when he comes close to remaining on Earth past the four minute mark, Ultraman will retreat out of sight and resume the form of Shin Hayata.

Ultraman will try to move combat away from Urban areas if at all possible, and will do all he can to avoid human casualties. Sometimes this is not possible, but it is his top priority. He does not like to be called on unless there is no reasonable alternative.

If Ultraman is injured, he will always appear restored when Hayata resumes his Ultra Form.

Campaign Use: Created by Eiji Tsuburaya (who also created Godzilla), Ultraman is in many ways the Silver Age Superman of Japanese pop culture, the first and greatest Superhero of the many that followed. He was actually preceded by Supergiants / Starman (a human sized character similar to Ultraman in his back story and with the powers of flight and invulnerability), and by the charcters of the TV show Ultra Q. Ultra Q followed the adventures of the Science Patrol as they fought giant monsters using super science and advanced military hardware; Ultraman changed the formula by giving the Science Patrol a superhero who could face the monsters on their own terms. Ultraman inspired an entire genre of Giant Superheroes and Size Changing / Transforming heroes that remains vital to this day.

Designing Ultraman in HERO terms was challenging, as the physics and rules of his world don’t quite match a default HERO campaign. He should be powerful enough to face off against even the deadliest Giant Monsters and Military Hardware in your game world, but not invincible. This version is scaled to deal with Giant Monsters and military hardware to the standard of the Monster Island 5th Edition source book. If your campaign’s giant monsters are more or less powerful, adjust the write up accordingly.

Appearance: 40 meters tall, 35,000 tons, silver skinned alien giant. See picture.

Character by Eiji Tsuburaya. Character Sheet by Robert Dorf.

Re: Ultraman

I still have to write up Hayata. His character sheet soon to follow.

All feedback appreciated.

A writeup for Ultraman usually depends on the degree to which you know the background universe(from the like dozens of other shows) and what you think the special effects of his powers are. I've always thought of him as some sort of energy being in a containment suit(given that these beings describe themselves as coming from a Land of Light), but this is mostly speculation on my part. Just using the original series, Ultraman utilizes a mind numbing array of powers. I'd make that "Ultra Current" a Suppress and/or Drain myself...as he only used that in Episode 13 to combat Pester's oil field fire and in Episode 32 to fight Zambora's forest fires. On the other hand, he's displayed the ability to create a Force Wall(episode 37) and shrink to human size(episode 28) and even if his primary Spectrum Ray(Specium Beam, whatever) doesn't work, he always seems to have some other energy projection ability that does(episode 31). In episode 17, he combats Bruton's space/dimension warping abilities by spinning at high speed(apparently straining the creature's ability to focus on him). In episode 38, he defeats Kira by using what appears to be hypnosis. One interesting thing to note is that Ultraman always seems to react to monster attacks even when it's unlikely he'd be affected by them. For example, he has reacted to the poison gas attack of several monsters and he appears to choke when Goldon grabs him by the throat in episode 29 even though he almost certainly doesn't need to breathe. I consider this a psychological effect. Perhaps he was at one time an organic being(using my energy being theory) and still reacts as one. Or...perhaps this is the Hayata persona reacting. You stated that you scaled this version for the CU..so his attacks are fine. You might consider giving him the expanded life support in Galactic Champions. One thing to note is that Ultraman is physically a lot stronger than he looks. In episode 8, he's clearly stronger than Red King, who himself is probably one of the most physically powerful Ultra Monsters. Your writeup is pretty good..so I don't really have much more to add.

Rob

Thanks for the feedback. I rewatched the entire original series over the last year or so, in Japanese with English subtitles. I'm comfortable that I know the OS universe well enough. However, no two Champions players ever agree on a tribute character. ;)

The real problem with the write up for me is the scaling. His attacks do about what they should versus the Daikaiju on the CUs Monster Island. On the other hand, his defenses were initially bumped up a bit to handle attacks from military hardware, which are much more dangerous in the CU than in the Kaijuverse. I may scale his Damage Reduction back to 50% for Champions play, with a note that GMs who plan to send him up against the military or use him in his own Verse should pump his attacks and defenses accordingly.

I'm aware of his one use powers; that's why he has the Power Skill at 21-, as noted on the sheet.

Another tricky issue for me was how to represent the color timer. As it stands, this version of Ultraman is effectively "dead" the first time he gets knocked out. That fits the source material's description of how his Timer works, but becomes dicey when mixed with Hero mechanics. One draft of the sheet included Resurrection based on the Space Police coming down and reviving him as in the last episode of the original series.

I tried to avoid fan-lore in his back story as much as I could, more so than with the other characters that will be appearing in this convention game.

If you're depicting the character as he appears on Earth' date=' wouldn't all his powers have the Limitation [i']Only In Hero ID[/i]? It may only be worth -1/4, but most HERO players would agree, every little bit helps.

This version of Ultraman uses Multiform, not OIHID. Hayata and Ultraman are separate personalities; they start as two people, they have different lives and memories, and at the end of the series they divide again.

Of course, you can make an Ultraman homage that uses OIHID, even a 350 point version. This build just looks cleaner, and is closer to the source material.

My first reaction when I saw his STR, CON and BODY was "Holy ****!"

O'course, if he's 40 metres tall and clocks in at 35 kilotons, that would make sense.

For a Japanese superhero, isn't his DEX a little low?

Ultraman doesn't really have a better Dex than a martial artist, agent or cop; he's 40 meters tall and incredibly heavy. The creatures he's trying to hit are just as big as he is, and often slower.

That said, you can set the numbers where you feel they make sense in your campaign.

Actually,I personally think that the Hero System military armor & weapons writeups are too powerful.Here's my houserule for making them less effective:

REAL WEAPON (-1/4): A weapon with this Limitation not only requires regular maintenance,but also is less effective against superbeings.Note that if an item is bought with money,not with Character Points,it automatically has this Limitation.

In game terms,if an attack is bought with this Limitation,it is considered to have the Reduced Penetration Limitation when applied to super defenses (i.e. Defence Powers bought with CPs,and not with the Real Defenses Limitation).

If the attack already has Reduced Penetration,the damage is quartered against super defences.

REAL DEFENSES (-1/4) Against super attacks (i.e. attacks without the Real Weapon Limitation) the item's defenses are halved.If the defense is Hardened,or the target has no STUN,the item is considered to be Vulnerable (x2 Effect) to this attack.

I second Enforcer's comment. Unfortunately I must spread Reputation before I can Reputate you again, Oddhat.

So I went looking for a kitten to award instead, and found this--

ss_ultranyan.jpg

I especially like the cats in the little Science Patrol outfits.

Revel in the bizarreness, my friends.

I second Enforcer's comment. Unfortunately I must spread Reputation before I can Reputate you again, Oddhat.

So I went looking for a kitten to award instead, and found this--

ss_ultranyan.jpg

I especially like the cats in the little Science Patrol outfits.

Revel in the bizarreness, my friends.

lol nice

CATZILLA

Looks very nice! Well done.

Since limited endurance was such a big feature of the character in the series, I might advise lowering the CON and END/REC a bit, just enough to get his END down to 100 or less and his REC in the 20s. (His defenses look good to me as is though, so some of the saved points should probably go back into ED if you take that approach.) Or maybe a Susceptibility to being in the Earth's atmosphere that manifests as an END Drain, with a frequency that results in his full END hitting 0 after 5 minutes?

Looks very nice! Well done.

Since limited endurance was such a big feature of the character in the series, I might advise lowering the CON and END/REC a bit, just enough to get his END down to 100 or less and his REC in the 20s. (His defenses look good to me as is though, so some of the saved points should probably go back into ED if you take that approach.) Or maybe a Susceptibility to being in the Earth's atmosphere that manifests as an END Drain, with a frequency that results in his full END hitting 0 after 5 minutes?

Thanks!

The END issue is tricky as well. Right now he has a PhysLim that forces him to change back after 5 minutes in Earth's atmosphere or go into a coma. Additionally, he's burning between 60-95 END per turn (Movement + STR + Maneuver), and recovering 35, which puts him at END 0 in under a minute unless he takes rest breaks (extra recoveries). In terms of time, that matches the show pretty well; he'll have to change back faster if he's using a lot of energy, and he's gone in no more than 5 minutes. On the down side, combat time is weird in Hero. A battle that seems epic as you play it would only be a minute or two on the screen. I'll think about ways to fit his stated 3-5 minute limit better into the write up.

• 2 months later...

Presenting Deputy Captain Shin Hayata, SSSP

DEPUTY CAPTAIN SHIN HAYATA SSSP

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6; [1]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV 6 DCV 6

13 CON 6 12-

14 BODY 8 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

6/12 PD 3 Total: 6/12 PD (0/6 rPD)

6/12 ED 3 Total: 6/12 ED (0/6 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 0

26 END 0

29 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 87

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 3" / 6"

Cost Powers END

Martial Arts:

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 1) Disarm -1 +1 Disarm; 25 STR to Disarm roll

4 2) Side Step / Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 3) Knifehand Strike ("Chop") -2 +0 HKA 1d6 +1

4 4) Punch/Snap Kick +0 +2 5d6 Strike

5 5) Side/Spin Kick -2 +1 7d6 Strike

Karate

125 Beta Capsule: Multiform (1,250 Character Points in the most expensive form) (250 Active Points); OAF (Beta Capsule; -1) Note: Using the Beta Capsule, Shin Hayata transforms into Intergalactic Peace Officer Ultraman! 0

30 Supergun: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1) 0

8 Communicator Pin: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; Extra Pins; +3/4) (17 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Must Also Be Able to Speak and Hear (-1/4), Must have hand free to activate (-1/4) 0

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

Perks

1 Reputation: Decorated SSSP Officer (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6

12 Contact (Contact has very useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 8-

Skills

Science Special Search Party Training

5 1) TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, Small Planes

3 2) Deduction 13-

3 3) Stealth 13-

3 4) Concealment 13-

3 5) Paramedics 13-

2 6) Navigation (Air) 13-

2 7) Systems Operation (Communications Systems) 13-

3 8) Survival 13-

7 9) WF: Beam Weapons, Energy Weapons, Small Arms, Vehicle Weapons

3 10) Combat Driving 13-

3 11) Combat Piloting 13-

3 12) Acrobatics 13-

3 13) Breakfall 13-

0 14) Language: Japanese (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 15) Language: Mandarin (completely fluent)

2 16) PS: SSSP Officer / Science Policeman 11-

2 17) KS: SSSP History and Traditions 11-

2 18) KS: The Paranormal World 11-

2 19) PS: Research 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 263

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Frequently, Severe)

15 Social Limitation: Secret: He's Ultraman (Frequently, Major)

20 Psychological Limitation: Protect The Innocent (Common, Total)

10 Psychological Limitation: Mentor / Big Brother Complex (Common, Moderate)

15 Psychological Limitation: Sense of Duty, Honorable (Common, Strong)

70 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: An ambitious young officer in the Science Special Search Party (SSSP) / Science Police, Hayata's life changed when a UFO accidentally crashed into his plane, destroying both ships. Hayata died in the crash. To make amends, the alien (Ultraman) merged his own lifeforce with that of the Earthman, thus reviving him. Ultraman then gave Hayata the Beta Capsule (a device roughly the size of a flashlight). Using the capsule, Hayata can transform into Ultraman, freeing the Alien to use his powers in defense of Earth!

Personality/Motivation: Hayata is dedicated to the SSSP/Science Patrol, and to protecting the people of Earth against menaces both terrestrial and from the stars. Friendly, modest, polite and a man of action, he is the very model of a Japanese Military Officer. Hayata does his best to solve problems on his own before allowing himself to be replaced by Ultraman; changing in public is dangerous both to civilians and to his secret. Hayata takes a protective big brother role both with other members of the Science Patrol and other masked heroes.

Quote: "It was lucky that Ultraman was here."

Powers/Tactics: Hayata is a superbly well trained officer, a skilled driver and pilot, and a formidable combatant both armed and unarmed. He typically caries his Science Patrol communications pin, a Super Pistol, and (concealed on his person) the Beta Capsule which allows him to turn into Ultraman. While in theory able to change at any time, Hayata prefers not to risk the change in urban areas or if the problem can otherwise be dealt with.

Campaign Use: On his own, Hayata is a good example of an honorable military officer or highly skilled agent. In the original run of the first series (on which this write up was based), we get relatively little back story for Hayata. All we know for sure is that he is the Deputy Captain of the SSSP, and that he is well respected by his fellows. His future is mapped out in the later series, but this write up draws only on series 1 & 2. Additionally, this write up is intended for a convention game. For other campaigns, his stats should be adjusted accordingly.

Appearance: A handsome Japanese man in his twenties, of medium height and athletic build. Wears his Orange and White SSSP uniform when on duty, casual clothing off duty.

Character by Tsuburaya, character sheet by Robert Dorf, 2009

The END issue is tricky as well. Right now he has a PhysLim that forces him to change back after 5 minutes in Earth's atmosphere or go into a coma. Additionally, he's burning between 60-95 END per turn (Movement + STR + Maneuver), and recovering 35, which puts him at END 0 in under a minute unless he takes rest breaks (extra recoveries). In terms of time, that matches the show pretty well; he'll have to change back faster if he's using a lot of energy, and he's gone in no more than 5 minutes. On the down side, combat time is weird in Hero. A battle that seems epic as you play it would only be a minute or two on the screen. I'll think about ways to fit his stated 3-5 minute limit better into the write up.

Perhaps buy down his Endurance and give him an END Reserve with Recovery Limited to only working for 5 minutes in an atmosphere?

Perhaps buy down his Endurance and give him an END Reserve with Recovery Limited to only working for 5 minutes in an atmosphere?

Well, that does work, but in the end 3-5 minutes on a TV show is very different from 3-5 minutes in a HERO System fight. I'll look over the limits again and think it over.