My Bodyguard

CTaylor

I could use some advice or ideas for my fantasy campaign. One of the players built a bodyguard character with a slight mental bond with his ward, another PC. The bodyguard is pretty standard for nobles (the other PC is a younger son of a Lord) as is a duelist mage if they know no magic, so they can delegate duels that come up.

The problem is that the PC being guarded started out pretty effective in combat and now is a heavy plate wearing knight at this point in the campaign. He doesn't really need much guarding. The bodyguard feels sort of ineffective and pointless now, his danger sense (for the knight) is handy, but other than that, he's just a quick, light fighter.

I can throw him into situations where the knight character won't be armed (bodyguards usually are exempt to the requirement) but that seems a bit contrived more than once in a while. I like the bodyguard character, and I want him to be more useful and feel happy with his character.

Any ideas?

Re: My Bodyguard

The Principle is needs someone to Watch his back, Block an Opponents Attacks, and Secure his safety at Court from Poisoners, Political Manipulators, and of coarse the occasional ambush or surprise attack when he is out of his armor. Psychic Bond expands into the Spirit Realm or behaves as a Scrying Detector.

Abort to Block with own Body to save the Principle.

QM

The problem is that the PC being guarded started out pretty effective in combat and now is a heavy plate wearing knight at this point in the campaign. He doesn't really need much guarding. The bodyguard feels sort of ineffective and pointless now' date=' his danger sense (for the knight) is handy, but other than that, he's just a quick, light fighter.[/quote']

You don't give us much to go on here. Assuming that the problem is effectiveness in combat, I don't see how two characters with the same number of points aren't equally effective.

If the problem is gear, then it's time to gear-up the light fighter.

If the problem is allocation of points, well, how do the two stack up? Give us a little more info. A quick fighter should be able to do things that another fighter can't. Does the bodyguard have any useful skills? What sorts of things does the player complain about not being able to do?

On way to balance things out is socially. If the rough-and-tumble bodyguard will do things that the noble can't, well there's some adventure hooks. I don't think you have to make the bodyguard an out-and-out rogue, but adding some streetwise or underworld contacts might enable him to shine in some types of adventures.

I'd also expect the lord to be bank-rolling the bodyguard. So wealth should not be an issue, spend those points on something effective.

OK let me expand: the characters are roughly equivalent in power, that's not the point. The point is the knight doesn't need protecting because he's a knight. He wears plate armor. He's safe enough on his own. He doesn't require a bodyguard on adventures.

Unless you can come up with some scenarios and ideas in which the bodyguard would be more useful and important. As a bodyguard. Since that's the entire concept of the character. Ways in which the very tough and capable knight would need someone to protect him. Ways he can be a bodyguard.!

Is that more clear now?

Guarding his back is always useful. If it's not then you could always try making their world more dangerous and/or expanding the bodyguard's role.

How are you on magical transformations? In a high magic world the first thing that a bodyguard should give up is sleep. Either by having a mage transform him so he doesn't need sleep or by providing him with an artefact that achieves the same. That way he can stand over his sleeping master with a drawn sword and wait for the assassins to come. It does, after all, take some time to get into armour.

In combat terms there are plenty of things that can get through armour. Magical weapons wielded by a cult of assassins. Spells. Armour piercing crossbows designed to bring down heavily armoured opponents. Aside from running off and killing people who are shooting at his charge the bodyguard could buy a limited Arrow Cutting (Missile Deflection) ability, only to defend his master of course.

Then there are healing abilities which he could learn to help his master recover from the effects of a dangerous world. Curing magical or real diseases, purging poison, knitting flesh and removing curses.

Alternatively the bodyguard could expand his protective role into areas that a heavily armoured and highly visible knight is going to struggle with. E.g. Spy, Assassin, Investigator.

Skill sets could include.

Stealth, Climbing, Acrobatics. Abilities which will allow him to chase after assassins or sneak into the houses of his master's enemies in order to spy on them. Or to quietly murder an enemy before he threatens his master.

High Society for finding out which noble house is about to cause trouble. And perhaps for spotting less obvious dangers to his charge's wellbeing such as predatory females hoping to seduce him into a disadvantageous marriage or foreign spies looking to extract information from him. Seduction might also be useful for this kind of thing.

He could also go for a more enforcer style approach, Interrogation, Streetwise, Acting, Persuasion and so on which would allow him to test the mood of any place they visit and extract information from any potential hostiles amongst the commoners or criminal elements.

If none of this suits and the two characters are close then perhaps the nobleman might contrive to have his bodyguard ennobled, (legally or illegally). If he can get away with it then the bodyguard can be turned into a squire and get access to heavier armour while suddenly having to deal with a whole new range of social and physical challenges. This might justify learning some of the social skills I mentioned above as the bodyguard tries to accomodate himself to the elite society that he now finds himself in.

Unless you can come up with some scenarios and ideas in which the bodyguard would be more useful and important. As a bodyguard. Since that's the entire concept of the character. Ways in which the very tough and capable knight would need someone to protect him. Ways he can be a bodyguard.!

I like my "underworld" idea then. Have the bodyguard uncover a plot to kill the young lord. Let him investigate it, find clues, shakedown stool pigeons, etc. Keep the knight busy with noble stuff. Diplomacy, court intrigue, his own plots, etc.

Guarding his back also works I think. In a fight, throw more foes at the lord than he can handle. It will be necessary for the bodyguard to soak up a couple of foes so that each can dispatch his share. It might be good to do this once to the knight alone just to show that it's needed. Maybe if the first attack is part of the plot (above) to kill the lord, just have it start with a kidnapping, or make sure the lord doesn't actually die (he lives after a grievous wound, the poison isn't effect or the bodyguard fetches an antidote in time, etc.).

That's all I can think of. Actual physical protection isn't needed so much since the lord is a competent fighter.

Since the characters and world are already built we have something of a limitation. We also don't know much about either PC or the world. So, I'll go this blind.

1. Contrive to have the nobleman inherit something much grander. FREX: Start a quick war and have all/most of the dukes (or kings) killed so that he is suddenly thrust into the position.

2. Make this an onerous position to be in - lots of official functions that cannot be attended with anything more than an arming sword.

3. Give noble PC the clue in that normally a person gets here with dozens of followers but he only has the bodyguard. He needs attendants, food testers, generals, knights, commanders, master of the purse, stewards, palace guards, and attendants. The people currently in these positions may or may not have his best interests at heart.

4. Let mayhem ensue with corruption among the palace guard, assassins hiring on as body guards, poisoned foods, and generals anxious to lead their own armies. The bodyguard becomes champion and bodyguard and only trusted companion. The noble is forced to spend some points on acquiring social status stuff allowing the bodyguard to buy some extra quips to make him more effective at guarding than simple plate armor. He could become a Warder-like character attuned to the noble and aware threats on a mystical level thus leading them into all sorts of strange adventures.

try giving the bodyguard a new protectee

Although problematic given his background (they are selected at a young age and magically bonded to their ward), it is possible, and probably the most useful alternative. These guys aren't the only two characters in the game, so I can't change the entire campaign just to fit them in.

I have given this some long and careful thought, and I say, kill him.

:eek:

I would speak to the player of the Bodyguard, but not the other PC's, about it.

Then the two of you could define the circumstances.

A lethal ranged spell, an attack with an armor-piercing poisoned arrow, something that, armor or not, would flat out kill the other PC.

The bodyguard sees it coming, throws himself in the way, and dies heroically.

The character would get to justify his existence with his final act.

I think it could make a great roleplaying opportunity and make a positive contribution to the campaign, instead of trying to push through with a character whose concept is ceasing to work.

Even better, due to the mystic bond, the other PC could still receive occasional warnings from beyond the grave, thus keeping the dead character "alive" in the campaign.

The player would then have the chance to bring in a new character that has a chance to thrive outside the other PC's shadow.

An interesting twist might be to have the new character be a friend or relative of the dead bodyguard who has some resentment toward the other PC due to "getting my friend killed".

Just my opinion,

KA.

I heavily recommend the intrigue bit, with the addition of trying to keep the noble PC in the dark about it, at least in character. Let it be the bodyguard player's "secret" pleasure that he saved this warrior's life, without the warrior ever having to (or even being able to, based on the nature of the challenge) to lift a finger. That's service.

I fail to see the problem here. There are so many roleplaying opportunities, even when you ignore the fact that NO knight is invincible in battle (except by fiat).

Although problematic given his background (they are selected at a young age and magically bonded to their ward)' date=' it is possible, and probably the most useful alternative. These guys aren't the only two characters in the game, so I can't change the entire campaign just to fit them in.[/quote']

you refer to the new protectee

Having someone to watch your back is ALWAYS useful. But if you need more...

Marry off the knight.

Marry him to a widow with a son of the right age to become a squire. A good honorable boy who already idolized this particular knight and is thrilled at the idea he's marrying mom. And already skilled enough to justify bringing along as a sidekick.

Now the bodyguard has two new tasks - protect the squire if he gets in over his head, and help train him.

For extra intrigue and danger, say that the enemies who killed the boy's father (the woman's first husband) and that man's bodygaurd and already killed the boy's own bodyguard, are still targetting him - and possibly his stepfather now too. The guy behind it (although that should be hard to prove) will of course be one of the widow's other suitors...

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

Another option, which I am little surprised has not been suggested is to look at giving him complementary combat skills to the Knight's. By that I mean (for example) missile deflection. The first time someone tries to put an arbalest bolt into the armoured knight, he'll appreciate that. Likewise, give him skills to augment the knight's attacks

This would mean that the bodyguard player would need to be prepared to be a team player, but it sounds like he is already there. This approach could make the Knight/bodyguard combo more effective than the knight alone. In that case, I'd suggest things like:

"Shieldman" Missile deflection (non-gunpowder weapons at range, adjacent hex, requires OIF Shield of opportunity. 15 active, 10 real)

"Trip Foe" +3 CSL, all HTH Combat, usable by other (+1/4), requires successful to hit roll (-1/2) 19 active, 12 real

"Distracting blow" 2d6 Flash - sight group (20 real).

etc.

Since these minor powers are all "combat tricks" I'd be inclined to drop them in a multipower. Buy some levels in Block and you get the Knight/bodyguard combo, where the bodyguard does not so much focus in doing damage as setting up the knight to do more damage and blocking attacks in return. A 2d6 Flash, for example isn't much use ... until you land it just before your buddy, who then gets to headshot a blinded foe. Likewise, you can trip an enemy - and your buddy can hit him at half DCV while he's lying down (potentially allowing your buddy to dump CSLs into extra damage and still have a good chance to hit)

... and of course Danger sense, out of combat, immediate vicinity.

It'd take some training to get right - but done right, it could be deadly.

cheers, Mark

I have given this some long and careful thought, and I say, kill him.

In all honesty I think this probably is the best option at present. It would make him do his job in a glorious and honorable way, then end up with a chance at a new character.

Incidentally, Mark, I have thought about and like your ideas, and when I build the Bodyguard profession for my campaign book, I'll use things like that (he already has danger sense - only for ward and a few other bits but those are good ideas).

In all honesty I think this probably is the best option at present. It would make him do his job in a glorious and honorable way, then end up with a chance at a new character.

Incidentally, Mark, I have thought about and like your ideas, and when I build the Bodyguard profession for my campaign book, I'll use things like that (he already has danger sense - only for ward and a few other bits but those are good ideas).

I hope that this works out well for everyone involved.

I take PC death very seriously, but in this case I think it is the best choice for the player, the character, and the campaign.

KA.

I’m still confused why there is an issue. If they’ve been bonded since youth and are friends as well, then why wouldn’t they travel together? You could flip the situation and say the knight is useless, because the bodyguard was already fulfilling the HtH combat role.

Why does the fact that the knight is now wearing heavy armor and can protect himself make “a quick, light fighter” have no role in the party at all? And why is he “just a quick, light fighter”? Just some questions.

It seems odd to be in a situation where you need to get rid of a character because he can’t fulfill his role, yet the plan to get rid of him is to have him die while fulfilling his role:nonp:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're looking for some RP opportunities to let the Bodyguard jump to the front and take the spotlight for a bit; and their primary function is protection - specifically protecting a person who really doesn't need much protection anymore?

I have given this some long and careful thought' date=' and I say, kill him.[/quote']

This is always an awesome option. I was wondering whether this might allow the original idea to be accomplished as well.

The outcome of the death might result in the bodyguard keeping his role from beyond the grave...that way the ghost/guardian angel becomes something much different to the knight and able to bring something else to the table...

Doc

That's it in a nutshell. The love interest idea is interesting but I have a hard time GMing a love interest to another dude.

Well, the relationship between them seems to have evolve to comrades in arms.

There's always a capture the Knight sequence - don't have to beat up a sleeping guy and armor doesn't help against magic...

Introduce some story line that the body-guard has just the right skill set to resolve, but still needs help getting most of the way.

One fun way to bring a character to the front of the story is a mistaken identity storyline. Suddenly the bodyguard finds he's the center of some convoluted plot based on the fact that he looks remarkably like someone else.

Involve a mysterious history element, some ancient evil the Bodyguard's family confronted rears its ugly head and comes after - you know who. And his family stopped it once, best step up and stop it again (Belmont Syndrome).

Hope that helps.