Old Palladium player wanting to start with the HERO SYSTEM

Hello and like the subject says, I'm a old Palladium Heroes Unlimited player and gm and I would like to start playing with the HERO System. I've heard a lot of good things about it and I think its time for a change. The problem I'm having is there are a TON of books out for HERO and I have no idea which one i should start with. I believe the Hero System 5th Edition Revised is the one I need, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Re: Old Palladium player wanting to start with the HERO SYSTEM

Well, here's the thing: there's a 6th edition coming out soon (late summer) so it's up to you as to buy the current edition or to wait a little while longer.

I would say that checking out Sidekick (~$15), a more basic version of the rules, should get you started enough to upgrade to 6th edition when it comes out.

Nice to get a new recruit, and a fellow ex-Palladium player at that. :)

Wow' date=' thanks for the quick response. Thanks for the heads up on the 6th edition as well. So it appears that in order to run a full game, all I would need is the HERO System book. Is that correct?[/quote']

Sure. Get yourself the sidekick so you can get familiar with the rules. It's 5th ed. 6th ed will be out eventually, but it's likely best to learn on 5th, then if you like it, decide what direction you want to go in.

Yes.

I'm suggesting Sidekick since it is cheaper and teaches the essentials of the system, but you also won't get hosed when the next edition comes out very quickly afterwards.

Otherwise, the core book is all that you really need to play; everything else is interpretation, builds, and the occasional rules expansion, but otherwise that's all you need.

well with 6th ed

there will be 2 core books

1 for players and 1 for GMs

then a basic play book replacing SideKick

Yes.

I'm suggesting Sidekick since it is cheaper and teaches the essentials of the system, but you also won't get hosed when the next edition comes out very quickly afterwards.

Otherwise, the core book is all that you really need to play; everything else is interpretation, builds, and the occasional rules expansion, but otherwise that's all you need.

well with 6th ed

there will be 2 core books

1 for players and 1 for GMs

then a basic play book replacing SideKick

Oh yeah, that would be helpful to know indeed.

I remember that each core book hard copy will be $40 and that there will also be a bundle of the two for $70.

I do not know what the PDF costs will be though.

Well, I can help out in this regard:

Palladium Fantasy - Fantasy HERO

Heroes Unlimited - Champions

Ninjas & Superspies - Dark Champions and Ninja HERO

Nightbane - Fantasy HERO, Urban Fantasy HERO, maybe Dark Champions

Rifts - Post-Apocalyptic HERO, Star Hero, Fantasy HERO, just about all of them, really, but those three weigh in the most. Same goes for Chaos Earth.

Systems Failure - Post-Apocalyptic HERO

Beyond the Supernatural - sadly there is no 5e Horror HERO but I hear that there will be one for 6e

Such a book would also be helpful for Nightbane and Rifts. This also means Dead Reign.

Recon Modern Combat - Dark Champions

After the Bomb - Post-Apocalyptic HERO has a basic setting called After the Blast that is basically a HERO version of AtB in only 40 pages. Couple that section with Ninja HERO and you generally have TMNT & Other Strangeness covered as well.

Splicers - Star HERO

Did I miss any settings?

What genre are you looking to play in? Superheroes? Sci-fi? Fantasy? There are genre books available to help' date=' but not necessary.[/quote']

Im into Super Hero and Fantasy type games. I figure I'll start by recreating some of my old Heroes Unlimted for the Hero System to get started ( and to practice a little ).

Im into Super Hero and Fantasy type games. I figure I'll start by recreating some of my old Heroes Unlimted for the Hero System to get started ( and to practice a little ).

Post a word description of the characters and I think you'll get a few other people putting up their versions as well.

Doc

Welcome aboard, darthbutternutz! (With that name I like you already.) :cool: As you've seen we're a pretty friendly and helpful bunch to newcomers. You've chosen a good game with a great community -- I don't think you'll be disappointed.

In that case you may benefit from these links to guidelines and examples for converting Heroes Unlimited characters to HERO System:

Character conversion guidelines:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070328063026/http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/Rules/000322.html

HERO writeup for Strongarm:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsrpg/HUstrongarm.html

Welcome aboard, darthbutternutz! (With that name I like you already.) :cool: As you've seen we're a pretty friendly and helpful bunch to newcomers. You've chosen a good game with a great community -- I don't think you'll be disappointed.

In that case you may benefit from these links to guidelines and examples for converting Heroes Unlimited characters to HERO System:

Character conversion guidelines:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070328063026/http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/Rules/000322.html

HERO writeup for Strongarm:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsrpg/HUstrongarm.html

Welcome. I see you've met Lord Liaden aka Lord of the Links, as I like to refer to him. He aspires to be a Wal-Mart greeter when he grows up. :)

Welcome. I see you've met Lord Liaden aka Lord of the Links' date=' as I like to refer to him. He aspires to be a Wal-Mart greeter when he grows up. :)[/quote']

You're assuming I'm not already. While you gamers play at taking over the world, we're actually doing it! :sneaky::eg:

Wow, thanks everyone for the help and the great links!! I'm certainly getting ready to dive headlong into this system, I've enjoyed reading the Sidekick and I am eager for the 6th edition to come so I can buy it. As soon as I finish my first character conversion, I'll definitely post it here.

And by the way, this is where I got my name....

Looks like we're in similar situations! I recently decided to convert over to Hero from HU as well. I decided to dive right in with 5th Edition Revised instead of Sidekick. There was some confusion for me, but thanks to the extremely helpful (and prompt) people on these forums, I was able to get around a lot of my questions.

Besides being extremely well balanced and infinitely more nuanced (for the better, in my opinion), the biggest advantage Hero has over HU is the wonderful, friendly community surrounding it.

I'll have to say, though, that Heroes Unlimited was fun. So was TMNT and Robotech. (Though at the time FASERIP Marvel was a lot better than HU, but I still had some fun games with the system.)

Palladium didn't really start going downhill for me until Rifts came out. Cool concept, but mixing the mega damage rules in just spoiled it. The different Palladium systems were far from being universal. They missed an opportunity to overhaul the game mechanics into something that could handle Rifts.

HU and TMNT were, and still are, great fun - but in different ways. My biggest complaints about HU were the base characteristics meant little to the game mechanics and that two characters of the same level could be WILDY different, in terms of superiority. Random powers are fun (and play off of the "do what you can with what your dealt" dynamic), but that huge imbalance made designing villains for my players to fight rather difficult. I like that in Hero, two characters of the same point totals can be roughly equal (as long as someone isn't trying to abuse the system). Plus your starting characteristics play a huge role in what (and how) your character can perform (at least for the time being :P).

If I were going to run a "quick and easy" campaign for new players, though, I would probably still use HU for that. The rules aren't as complex and combat is more abstract, meaning its easy for a GM to fudge some rules together on the fly to handle certain situations.