FH Grimoire Cover!

Blue

Way to totally miss the point, Keith.

You and I both know that Hero isn't all about comic books, but I can't even count the number of times I've had prospective players just dismiss FH because "it's based on a comic book system". When you put comic book art on the Grimoire and FH cover, it only reinforces the stereotype.

Or we could just reinforce the stereotype that all fantasy art should be painted. I don't understand why so many people complain about comic-style art on non-superhero Hero books. Comic books cover more genres the superheroes, so why can't our fantasy or sci-fi books have comic-style covers.

The fact of the matter is Chris Stevens does great work, and his work on a cover is striking and helps sell books.

Originally posted by Old Man

Way to totally miss the point, Keith.

You and I both know that Hero isn't all about comic books, but I can't even count the number of times I've had prospective players just dismiss FH because "it's based on a comic book system". When you put comic book art on the Grimoire and FH cover, it only reinforces the stereotype.

I got your point entirely, OM. You like to complain. :D

Go into the Fantasy section of your bookstore. There is a wide variety of art, from oil to acrylic to photomanipluation to chalk or pastel crayons. And yes, some of them are what you might call "Comic Book style*". Do you honestly think someone will pick up a fantasy book and say, "This looks like a comic book story" and put it down?

I really really don't think Hero has to worry about this either. Go into your game store and look at how many game books use this style. Look again and see how many don't use it well. At all. There have been some absolutely wretched covers of every genre done in this fashion. Chris' art is exceptional and as Nato says, helps sell books.

Keith "This is a silly discussion" Curtis

* That is, a style with heavy emphasis on line and "fills" of color, usually highly saturated. The computer art revolution has dramatically increased the potential of this form. It has evolved far beyond comic books and I have to admit, upon seeing the cover, it never for an instant occurred to me to consider it "Comic Booky".

Artists have styles; this is Chris'.

Ooooh, yeah!

It never ceases to amaze me the talent that DOJ is capable of pulling in. Chris Stevens, Storn Cook, Greg Smith, and Andrew Cremens are just my favorites amongst a large and fantastic talent pool Andy is capable of pulling on for their print books. I'm waiting for Hero Games' art budget to run dry, if these artists are being paid commensurate to their talent! :D