Teleport redirection

nexus

Re: Teleport redirection

Also from the older thread of similar name I quoted before:

Have been building a teleport technician character. Base power that the character is built around is Sense path teleport, discriminatory, analyze, tracking, targeting, 37 points.

It might get interesting when dealing with powers that have teleportation as part of their special effect. For example' date=' Sidewinder has a Area of Effect HTH defined as her teleporting around in a small area and striking everyone in it. SFXwise Zero should be able to interfere with that ability.[/quote']

Ooh. Yeah. That's an awesome idea! Rep if I can. :)

I dislike using Mind Control for this effect. It does not seem it should be more difficult to affect a strong-willed teleporter' date=' that mental awareness should detect its use or that the urgency with which the teleporter wishes to reach the desired destination should make the power any more or less likely to work. As well, the effect seems like it would not continue over time, but would only affect one teleport and need to be reused to affect the next one.[/quote']

Some of which is why I said it would require Modifiers. I see nothing in the OP that indicates whether or not being detected by mental awareness, but IPE would cover that if needed. I certainly agree that EGO is a bad choice as the comparison stat, didn't you even quote me as saying exactly that? The GM determining the level of effect does not mean that the level effect has to be based on the targets level of desire, but on some other appropriate measure. There is certainly nothing that would prevent putting a Limitation on Mind Control to make it character automatically breaks out after they teleport.

UAA really only has orthodoxy making it a better alternative to MC. Since the SFX is taking control of the other character's teleportation, you have to go through a whole lot of hoops to get it to produce the effect in question. I personally consider the NND nature of UAA in relation to Defenses as a significant mark against using UAA.

It might get interesting when dealing with powers that have teleportation as part of their special effect. For example' date=' Sidewinder has a Area of Effect HTH defined as her teleporting around in a small area and striking everyone in it. SFXwise Zero should be able to interfere with that ability.[/quote']

It sounds like you are favoring the UAA, but I'd point out my Mind Control idea does have the advantage of being able to more easily deal with the above situation.

Otherwise, Power Skill is your friend for that situation. Particularly if teleportations ZERO can manipulate are fairly rare. You'd be unlikely to reach the point where you'd have to spend points for the other power.

No, not there! 100 active, 100 real

Teleportation 10", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Target uses power with teleport sfx; +1) (100 Active Points)

Where do you think you are going? 100 active, 67 real

Mind Control 10d6, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; Target activates power with teleport sfx; +1) (100 Active Points); Set Effect (Teleport to given location instead of what you were going to do; -1/2)

• 7 months later...

I have thought about this a lot since my original thread back in '07. A part of the problem is that while TP is a movement power, it use does not generally involve movement. The character is in one place, then another. If a character had teleport based on ultra fast movement (The Flash or a character that turns into energy) then my character would not have been able redirect that travel. Anyway this thinking of TP as not movement causes us to want treat it differently than running or flight. When we remember that it is defined in the game as a movement power, that causes other confusions. How do I do a move by with TP? How do I calculate my velocity? How is a move through different from a move by? TP is the same as running, shouldn't they both be constants?

The character I designed, Janus might or might not be able to track or redirect a transporter beam (Probably not, if it actually is a beam) and might or might not be able to track and redirect a spaceship traveling through warp space (and probably not redirect in any case, unless it was a VERY small ship)

I favor a TP UAA or Transform over mindcontrol, because the SFX are manipulation of the physics of the TP power or the TP path. I may also require a bit of clairsentience to allow the character to be able to target a combat teleport at all.

The instantaneous aspect of Teleportation really makes this difficult. Unless built with some sort of Limitation (even a -0 Limitation brought on by sfx) or only used when a character is Teleporting non-combat (or using Megascaled Teleport), there's no way to know that a character is about to teleport. This means that your "teleport redirection" power would have be in constant use around people who can teleport, or there's no way to "catch" them as they're about to teleport.

Again, without some sort of Limitation, there is no time taken when a character teleports. Not even a teeny tiny fraction of a nanosecond. Because of this, it's impossible to "catch" them in the act of teleporting.

As has been suggested, you could definitely teleport someone who just teleported. This, however, seems substantially different from what the OP asked about.

I wonder if it is helpful to consider a broader question: How do you cause another character to use their power in a way they do not wish it to be used? How would you...

• ...cause a character to use their Blast power at less then full power?
  • ...cause a character to deliver an order via Mind Control different from the order they intended?
  • ...cause a character to activate minimal defenses rather than maximum?
  • ...cause a character with a movement power Useable as a Second Form of Movement to pick one form of movement over the other?

I'm becoming convinced that this sort of thing just demands Mind Control of some sort.

How about a UAA Teleport Linked to draining/supressing Teleportation or t-port effects?

There's your defense, plus some other interesting effects, especially if the other 'port isn't fully supressed or 'redirected'.

Remember, if your a hero, it might be a bad thing to mess up and allow someone to teleport into a wall, so I'd eliminate automatically safe teleportation.

Champions II has 'teleporting into solid objects', how about 6th edition?

How would you model a character that can override another character's Power to Teleport and force them to arrive at different destination than they planned? The character must have Teleported on their own. The character can't force them to and simply teleport characters are objects as an Attack (with this power anyway).

Reminds me of the birth of the god Catalyst

who could trigger all springs in the area

convert fuel to energy over a mile radius

and fly.

The players were trying to determine the scope of the new born god.

Micheal, a demon teleported in front of Catalyst and asked "can You Do that?"

Catalyst responded by using Micheal's power and his endurance to teleport Micheal again and responded "yes".

• 2 weeks later...

As a sidebar, there is a power that redirects movement.

Martial Throw.

That's all I have to mention that is relevant.

Nothing to say about TK and MArtial THrow and only being able to use it against Teleporters. Nope. No wierd applications from me this week.

Toodles.

• 2 months later...

I keep coming back to this. We are not affecting the teleporters mind, so mind control does not suit the fx. We are not teleporting the teleporter, so teleport UAA does not fit the fx. We are affecting the manifestation of the power, so Transform does fit the fx, but is problematic in that we don't know the BODY of a teleport, and it is difficult to percieve a teleport before it is over. Missile Reflection fits the fx, but not the game mechanics.

Is a new destination (within the range of the teleporters power) a Major or Minor transformation? I had a couple of game masters that defined transform locked lock to unlocked lock as a cosmetic change. I disagree in terms of game balance, but agree in terms of fx.

Trying to make mechanics fit special effect based on a 'default' sfx for a specific power is pointless.

Example:

Building an ability with the Teleportation Power does not require a 'teleportation' sfx. A speedster's ability to move faster than the eye can see can be built with the Teleportation Power.

Reasoning from Effect is your friend.