Fantasy Star Wars.

Alibear

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Fantasy Star Wars.

Star Wars is fantasy, as noted above. We have princesses, pirates, a Dark Lord serving his Evil Emperor, an old wizard passing his knowledge down to his young farmboy apprentice, a heroic Beast, magic swords.

It has more fantasy tropes than a lot of fantasy does!

The danger here is that it would be almost impossible to prevent the eventual creation of a Jedi Dragon. At which point the universe would implode due to an impossibly high concentration of Geek Badass in a single point in space and time.
Repped. There is no other response needed.

Repped. There is no other response needed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31994&stc=1&d=1247024255

Oh question not the need!Our merest beggar

Is in the poorest thing superfluous.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary credits Dave Mattingly for originally posting the poster, and Shakespeare's King Lear for Lucius Alexander's pretentious quote.

I had more thoughts. It would only work if The Force and the dark side were the only kind of 'magic' available in the campaign.

Martial Arts & Psionics would be a potent mix in a fantasy setting.

The Dark Side could be what creates monsters and other nastiness ... it might just work.

I had more thoughts. It would only work if The Force and the dark side were the only kind of 'magic' available in the campaign.

Martial Arts & Psionics would be a potent mix in a fantasy setting.

The Dark Side could be what creates monsters and other nastiness ... it might just work.

I'm sure it'd work fine. We've actually played games where martial arts and psionics were in play, along side traditional magic. Traditional magic required gestures, incantations, etc so it was flashier and less flexible than "the Force".

However, if I were going to run a game like this, myself, I'd go for your "force is the only magic" approach.

Side note: in the fantasy game above, a friend's character who was playing the party's "Jedi master" (a paladin-type) had put side effect (migraine) and "requires a Force skills roll" as a limit on his powers to bring the cost down. He had horrible luck with his "Force skills" roll, so my primary memory of that game (apart from the horrid combat efficiency of my own less force-gifted character, Flanghall of Ferlect :)) is of him going "I sense a disturbance .... accck! Migraine!" all the time :D

cheers, Mark

I thought monsters would just be the local equivalent of aliens. In fact, you might consider having the culture be oddly syncretic in that most humanoid "monsters" have some level of acceptance depending on where you are. Then you can have a "cantina scene..."

I might consider it if I had even the vaguest notion to what syncretic was.

I is dumb. :help:

Kristopher put up a good link.

Syncretism is a blending of disparate elements aimed at inclusiveness. One fantasy example is the old Al Qadim game. In star wars I was thinking of it on a social plane. The Empire was a humans olnly club, but the Old and New Republics were racially syncretic. Its possible orcs, trolls, goblins, minataurs, and the like are civilized and operate as normal members of society.

Ogre's in tuxedos working as bouncers in 1920's America!

Thanks, guys. Yes that would really enhance the diverse universe feel of Star Wars. I hadn't considered that but will now.

Some questions arise with that.

Is the force stronger in some races than others? Dragons certainly, elves perhaps? Are there psionic free creatures like Huts? Hobbits maybe?

How tough would a Force Dragon be ... especially in SIX when we can combine Force, Breath and HTH attacks in one big mutha of an attack. :eek:

In any of my games a Force Dragon well only ever be the BBEG, to be allowed to be anything else is simply an offense to Force Dragons everywhere.

(Except the maybe GMPC, guest-star, you know the guy who comes in saves the day and the players grumble about GM powers ;) )

Just watch the Hidden Fortress 1958 samuri movie which Lucas gives credit of being one of the insperations of STAR WARS.

the SW universe of one enviroment planets works better as a great continent, hum a ring world with. . . . .

And I repped Lucas, now i must search Flawed charater concepts in self defense.

I thought monsters would just be the local equivalent of aliens. In fact' date=' you might consider having the culture be oddly syncretic in that most humanoid "monsters" have some level of acceptance depending on where you are. Then you can have a "cantina scene..."[/quote']

"You'll have to leave your golems outside. We don't serve their kind here!"

Fantasifying quotes :)

"Luke: You know, I think that R2 golem we bought may have been stolen.

Uncle Owen: What makes you think that?

Luke: Well, I stumbled across a geas while I was cleaning him. He says that he belongs to someone named Obi-Wan Kenobi. I thought he might have meant old Ben. Do you know what he's talking about?"

"Princess Leia: [in a magic mirror] General Kenobi: Years ago, you served my father in the Demon Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person; but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I've placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the spells that maintain this R2 golem. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this golem safely delivered to him in Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope. "

"Dr. Evazan: I don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve kingdoms. "