Fantasy Star Wars.

Alibear

Re: Fantasy Star Wars.

It's funny how much verbiage doesn't have to change at all.

"Imperial Stormtrooper"

"Rebel Base"

"Knight of the Old Republic."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that the Illithid Jedi is now credited to Dave Mattingly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One key point that leaps out at me is, how are you going to simulate the spaceship battles?

I would assume either airships or flying mounts. Perhaps a mixture of the two with airships and/or dragons standing in for destroyers and cruisers while gryphons, warhawks etc. stand in for fighters.

If you go for flying beasts then some kind of magical item which allows the rider to steer telepathically might be a good idea. This leaves the rider free to fire projectile weapons and would explain why Jedi make excellent pilots, their telepathy is stronger.

Well, to go with cliches, the original race of each character...

Chewbacca = Minataur

Luke = Half-elf

Leia = Half-elf (Obviously)

Obi-Wan = High Man (Wisdom and Doom, as is often represented in fiction)

Han Solo = Human

R2-D2, C3PO = Mechanical golems

Anakin = Human

Padme = Elf (Obviously)

Palpatine = Elf

Yoda = Gremlin or Goblin

Anyone I miss?

Ocean battles could also stand in well for Space battles' date=' with the smaller "fighters" being the Gryphons, Eagles etc launched from large ships or island bases.[/quote']

You don't have to make it too literal. The big X-wing and TIE fighter fight in Star Wars is just an epic battle.

Yeah, I would trim some of the real over the top elements out to make it a more playable campaighn in the long run. Space battles and Hyperspace jumps become massive sea or lland battles and long voyages through dangerous waters. The latter changes the time scale a little, but it's nothing you couldn't work around.

Han Solo becomes a smuggler with a fast sloop. Chewbacca is some sort of Wild man from distant shores.

Imperial Star Destroyers are war galleys, and the Death Star is some sort of mobile fortress that should never be able to float. It moves so slowly that you have all kinds of time to attack it with fire ships or boarding parties before it can bring its secret weapon to bear. The weapon? How about a primitive version of a railroad carriage gun. One massive shot, but it takes forever to reload and get it back into position.

Who says Jedi have to use psionics? Aren't they just paladins in robes? I would say that the Force is whatever ultimate force for goodness you want in your universe: God, Law some sort of Lawful Good pantheon, whatever. The Jedi are just D&D style clerics (Yoda) or well trained fighters (Obi Wan) who have "spells" based on innate level of life force or "soul energy" and how well they progress in the training.

Sith are just the flip side of the same coin. Dark paladins, evil priests or Death Knights.

Lightsabers can be magic swords of varying levels of quality, or, more interestingly, the Jedi adepts could actually channel varying levels of their own life force into a weapon to achieve supernatural effects.

Almost everything else is a straight port across.

Enchanters can imbue normally inaminmate constructs with this same type energy to act as servants, hence droids.

Jabba the Hut is a massively obese dragon, no longer capable of flight, that sits on its hoard manipulating others to increase its holdings.

I refuse to acknowledge either the Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks in my campaign.

Well, to go with cliches...

Chewbacca = Minataur

Luke = Half-elf

Leia = Half-elf (Obviously)

Obi-Wan = High Man (Wisdom and Doom, as is often represented in fiction)

Han Solo = Human

R2-D2, C3PO = Mechanical golems

Anakin = Human

Padme = Elf (Obviously)

Palpatine = Elf

Yoda = Gremlin or Goblin

Anyone I miss?

I had Palpatine down as some kind of lich in my mind.

Riff all you want. In fact, I think I will. :)

Chewbacca = Barbarian (Of course!)

Luke = Paladin

Leia = Diplomat with, later, a bit of Cleric

Obi-Wan = Paladin/Cleric

Han Solo = Scoundrel/Rogue

R2-D2 = Rogue/Spy

C3PO = Coward. :D Or, well...Diplomat?

Anakin = Paladin, then Death Knight

Padme = Noble? I only saw the first prequel.

Palpatine = Lich Necromancer

Clone Troopers = Flesh Golems

Yoda = Paladin/Rogue/Cleric (And very high level in each)

attachment.php?attachmentid=31994&stc=1&d=1247024255

Oh question not the need!Our merest beggar

Is in the poorest thing superfluous.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary credits Dave Mattingly for originally posting the poster, and Shakespeare's King Lear for Lucius Alexander's pretentious quote.

Bah! An illithid that only eats animal brains is in no way necessarily evil.

Hmm...To get into Forgotten Realms details, Illithids are (AFAIK) 'refugees' from the Far Realms. The Far Realms are so strange that, basically, a demon or devil lord has more in common with a mortal than either has with *Anything* from the Far Realms. Basically, stick a Human, an Elf, a Warforged, a Dragon, a Demon, a Devil and even (AFAIK) a *Beholder* next to an Illithid and the 'One of these that does not fit' is the *Illithid*.

Could an Illithid be moral? Well, to answer *that* question (Scientifically and IG), you'd have to understand an Illithid...And FR *Gods of Knowledge* would struggle with *that*.

On the other hand, as a writer, that gives you a wonderful freedom - You're *Not expected* to explain Illithids, because *You can't*. So, if you have a moral Illithid...You *Don't* have to explain it. :D

I think I'll make the Death Star is a mile wide flying city built by a long dead race. For millennia it's lain undisturbed but recently an evil priest has worked out how to fly one.

Think of the firepower that would bring to bear against a normal city. Walls and other defences would be useless.

Tie Fighters become griffins, pegasi and balloons.

Anyway, high fantasy with the Force as limited magic, that's what I'm thinking right now.

the big question is how to represent the Death star

a huge floating castle in the clouds that can rain down fire and lightning from above

One key point that leaps out at me is, how are you going to simulate the spaceship battles?

I would assume either airships or flying mounts. Perhaps a mixture of the two with airships and/or dragons standing in for destroyers and cruisers while gryphons, warhawks etc. stand in for fighters.

If you go for flying beasts then some kind of magical item which allows the rider to steer telepathically might be a good idea. This leaves the rider free to fire projectile weapons and would explain why Jedi make excellent pilots, their telepathy is stronger.

AT-AT walkers are basically the same thing as oliphaunts from the Return Of The King movie. That's pretty easy. If you kept a rebel base in an icy mountain area to simulate Hoth, you could recreate Hannibal crossing the Alps.

Unfortunately speeders and speeder bikes get nerfed to chariots, carts and horses. :(