Female/Male Super-Forms

SimComm

Re: Female/Male Super-Forms

In my experience, male players playing female characters and female players playing male characters both tend to be a little off. I think there is something that is generally a part of each gender's perspective that cannot be replicated. However, this is anecdotal evidence, not a rule.

That said, from what you described, this problem, if it exists, has been sidestepped. If the character still has the brain of the boy, then I'd expect the heroine form to seem slightly off.

I'd allow it.

It's funny, I've never had a concern when a female player wants to play a male character (Vampire protective male; guess which movie everyone went to go see :) ).

I wonder if there's some sort of strange relationship fulfillment issue when players play the opposite sex...

I'm male and I've been playing a female character in our group for 16+ years. Far from causing "strange relationship fulfillment issues", it's become a way for me to get closer to my longtime girlfriend. Trying to understand things from the female point of view so I could roleplay my character better, I often discussed things with my GF that we'd never have talked about otherwise.

As to the option of the back up character if this one didn't work out... why? If it doesn't work out' date=' you could always have him transform into a male Golden Age hero, and the awkwardness is solved while maintaining all the good story hooks that the original concept has.[/quote']

Good Point!

Thank you all for the comments!

As for the "grand experiment," it went well (I think)! I even got a dinner out of it (must be nice to have someone to cook for you all the time...)

I'll try to get more into it, but really, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had a "test associate PC" there and we checked notes afterwards to make sure it was up to standards.

In short, the Character is a really shy guy who gets generally ignored/picked on, and then finds the magic locket (amulet? I don't exactly remember), and transforms him into the Maiden. (Costume in the same trunk). However, his mind/chemistry is fully intact. (Yes, we were making "woman suit" jokes in the necessary voices on the way back)

It was fun watching him freak out, and then running into my test PC, who is a psychic. Granted it was sort of unfair, in terms of keeping the "big secret," but I thought it was necessary.

The fun part was that everyone knew who she was supposed to be, and no matter what the poor guy tried, the media had its own answers. (I haven't decided if cryogenics/stuck in space/time travel or immortality is going to be their reason why she looks the same)

Towards the end, the guy is so miserable (he can't even look down, which he mimed perfectly), that he's about to just give up the heroics until he literally accidentally saves the psychic PC from a roving super-villain. (I think he/she just landed on him going really fast)

I do like the fact that he's in almost constant terror of what the device is going to do next, and is totally freaked out about girls in general.

Now that he can become one, he's even more freaked out, but our psychic PC laid some uh... "mental help" to ease him, at which he changed back.

So, involuntary change due to stress (which high school never has, oh no) to Super-Form it looks like.

It's very cute in a way :) Oh I did not write that... oh well...

So in short, I'm going to let him/her have a shot and see what develops.

We've already nominated the Maiden as official Media Distraction Device.

Thanks again!

-SC

Something I'd recommend for background is reading Freak Force, a series from Image Comics back in the mid 90s. One of the major characters was a Captain Marvel homage whose current civilian identity was the nurse who'd been present when the hero's original alter ego passed away. There were some interesting takes on a super-heroic transformation that involved switching genders.

Matt the Bruins:

Hmm, I've never heard of Freak Force, but I wasn't a big Image Comics fan. I think Gen13 and the general lack of well... writing actually put me off.

BNakagawa:

:)

That's all I have to say. I might use this in game, hope you don't mind.

Thanks again,

-SC

Trebuchet:

Sure I'll take a look. This isn't hentai, right?

Hentai? (I had to look that term up.) No, although it does have a bit of adolescent sexual humor (hardly surprising, since the protagonist is in junior high school). Nothing remotely graphic, though.