Power Discussion: Barrier

Sean Waters

Re: Power Discussion: Barrier

**Fluffle, huffle, duffle, harumph**

Bullet has a 60 metre move. He is aiming at The Human Target who is 50 metres away, but there is an intervening Barrier 30 metres from Bullet.

According to the rules, if his hit roll misses The Human Target (not likely - she LIKES being hit) he stops 20 metres away from her, with the Barrier still intervening.

Run the same thing again but take out the Barrier. This time when he misses, does he get the option of stopping?

No. He can not be sure 20 metres out if he's going to hit or not.

I'm ruling he crashed through/bounces off the Barrier and if he misses The Human Target, it may well be because he got a bit put off by having to smash through a wall, and got a boo-boo.

The only way he avoids any damage is if his roll to hit was so truly awful he wouldn't even have hit the Barrier :)

What i meant is that if the attacker see that his target taking evasive action fast enough(possibly out of trajectory) he tries to "brake" and hit the barrier with the minimum possible force.This means the barrier actually stops his movement without either of it or him taking damage because he "pulled" his speed and just braked on it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the bit about a missed Move Through halting before a Barrier is a little silly (maybe it's a little more reasonable for a Move By). I'll probably house rule that one. In fact, I can see giving the attacker the choice of either veering off (if there's room and any relevant Turn Mode allows for it) or hitting the Barrier but missing the target even if he breaks through. Unless maybe it is a minimal sized Barrier centered (or "held") by the target, in which case I might just treat it as an extension of the character, and deal with the Move Through/By like I would a normal miss.

Are we assuming he knows the barrier is there before he starts the move through? If so then he will hit the barrier and either burst through or not, IMO. He's committed to making the attempt, once he rolls to hit.

If it gets erected as a defensive measure, mid-move, I'd probably DEX off to see if he can stop in time (if he wants to), or if it was placed to close to react to.

Crash: It's lights out for you, Villain, for I am about to Crash you into next week!

Villain: Not so fast, Crash... behold, I have a Defensive Erection!

:rofl:ROFLMAO! Good think I wasn't drinking anything when I read that, I hate having to clean off the monitor after I spit something through my nose on it.

Are we assuming he knows the barrier is there before he starts the move through? If so then he will hit the barrier and either burst through or not, IMO. He's committed to making the attempt, once he rolls to hit.

If it gets erected as a defensive measure, mid-move, I'd probably DEX off to see if he can stop in time (if he wants to), or if it was placed to close to react to.

If a DEX contest is needed, should it be possible for the character to get past the barrier (ie the fellow trying to raise the barrier just in front of him so the attacker lacks the time to turn/stop may mistime and put the barrier behind the attacker)?

Another dumb question*: Is there an upper limited on how complicated a Barrier can be sfx wise? Could a character theoretically make a functional building (with rooms, stairs and other amenities that could conceivably be created as one single object or hand waved as special effects), for example?

*I have the rules and I'm moving through them slowly and haven't gotten to barrier yet.

Another dumb question*: Is there an upper limited on how complicated a Barrier can be sfx wise? Could a character theoretically make a functional building (with rooms, stairs and other amenities that could conceivably be created as one single object or hand waved as special effects), for example?

*I have the rules and I'm moving through them slowly and haven't gotten to barrier yet.

You can do, but it would take plenty of time. Much quicker than building by hand but not quite *Poof: Instant Base*.

I'm not sure how the power handles plumbing :)

If a DEX contest is needed' date=' should it be possible for the character to get past the barrier (ie the fellow trying to raise the barrier just in front of him so the attacker lacks the time to turn/stop may mistime and put the barrier behind the attacker)?[/quote']

I'd do what I normally do if a defender aborts to a defensive action or uses a held action: I'd DEX off. If the defender wins they get their defense up in time, if not, they don't. If they do I'd allow the attacker a DEX roll to react to the barrier.

Even if they can react in time they may be too close to actually stop: deceleration and turn mode considerations would apply.

That sounds more complicated than it is:

Vroom: I move through on The Carmelite, running 40 metres, STR 25.

The Carmelite: I create a defensive mount around me (activate Barrier)

GM: DEX off!

**Both roll DEX and note the margin of success. Attacker has to beat defender, or the defence goes up. Vroom rolls +3, as does the Carmelite. The barrier appears before Vroom gets to it.**

Vroom: OK, I'm not getting through that. I stop.

GM: DEX roll from Vroom then: you can decelerate by 5m if you succeed and a further 5m per +1.

**Vroom makes it by 3 again, so he hits the barrier at 20 m velocity and uses the STR required to lift his mass (100kg) as the STR component of the move through, so 3+2=5d6 damage.**

If a DEX contest is needed' date=' should it be possible for the character to get past the barrier (ie the fellow trying to raise the barrier just in front of him so the attacker lacks the time to turn/stop may mistime and put the barrier behind the attacker)?[/quote']

Per the rules, Defensive actions always go first ("defensive" movement is an exception) whenever actions are held or aborted, but GM's permission is required to count Barrier as a defensive power for this. Probably I would let the defender choose: either automatically put the barrier up first and let the attacker stop but waste their attack, or DEX-off, with attacker winning means the Barrier is too late, and Defender winning means the attacker hits the wall.

My logic is that using Barrier to block an attack is defensive, but using Barrier to make someone hit a wall and take damage isn't.

Per the rules, Defensive actions always go first ("defensive" movement is an exception) whenever actions are held or aborted, but GM's permission is required to count Barrier as a defensive power for this. Probably I would let the defender choose: either automatically put the barrier up first and let the attacker stop but waste their attack, or DEX-off, with attacker winning means the Barrier is too late, and Defender winning means the attacker hits the wall.

My logic is that using Barrier to block an attack is defensive, but using Barrier to make someone hit a wall and take damage isn't.

I'd almost say, have them roll an Attack Roll against the not-a-hex where they want to put it, treating it as an AoE attack. If they hit, they hit the spot before the attacker gets there. If not, check for scatter. If it's made right, or scatters close, they could still hit it (though I might give them a DEX roll to avoid it). If it scatters out of the way or behind the attacker... oops.

Heck. Make them roll a successful Block with it. That works for me!

I'd almost say' date=' have them roll an Attack Roll against the not-a-hex where they want to put it, treating it as an AoE attack. If they hit, they hit the spot before the attacker gets there. If not, check for scatter. If it's made right, or scatters close, they could still hit it (though I might give them a DEX roll to avoid it). If it scatters out of the way or behind the attacker... oops.[/quote']

You have to do that anyway.

I broke down and got the books and PDF

in HD for 6th ed there is a 10pt adder for Varying Dimensions

where in the book is it?

Barrier starts on pg 169 and ends on 173

adders are on 172 but it only lists non-anchored and opaque

HD6 lists those and flash def and varying dimensions

I broke down and got the books and PDF

in HD for 6th ed there is a 10pt adder for Varying Dimensions

where in the book is it?

Barrier starts on pg 169 and ends on 173

adders are on 172 but it only lists non-anchored and opaque

HD6 lists those and flash def and varying dimensions

It's on 6E1/CC p. 173, and it's called Configurable (+¼).

Configurable is an advantage that allows you to change the shape of an already created Barrier or when cast

Varying Dimension's define says this

This Adder allows the character to vary the dimensions

of the barrier/wall from use to use. The character may exchange 1" of length for 1" of height, or vice-versa,

but may not more than double the standard dimensions of the barrier/Wall without the GM's permission.

Rod it looks as another one for the FAQ

It's on 6E1/CC p. 173' date=' and it's called [i']Configurable (+¼)[/i].

OK: Common sense: don't make an englobing barrier a globe, make it a cube.

No. No. No.

Make it a trasparent sphere and englobe your teams brick so he can run around in it rolling over the opposition!

/OFF TOPIC ALERT!

Incidentally, I had a pool themed villian "8-Ball" (leader of the 8-Ball Synidicate) in a dark champions game who put the players, and some of his minions, in a death trap that was a giant pool table over a body of water with the pockets being shutes into the drink. The team woke up inside transparent pool balls (stripes). A bunch of his minions/goons were in some of the solids. There were empty (not hollow) balls of both stripes and solids. And he had a remote control pool ball. He sat there trying to take them out while they maneuvered around doing the same to his minions. They came up with a trick shot to nail him.

The maximum dimensions of a Barrier are fixed once the Power’s purchased' date=' and cannot be changed thereafter unless the character buys the Configurable Advantage for the Barrier (see below). For example, if a character buys a Barrier that’s 20m long and 4m high (cost: 25 points), he can’t change those dimensions to make it 10m long and 14m high, or 15m long, 5.5m thick, and 4 m tall. He can choose to create it at less than its full dimensions (perhaps to save END), but he can’t reconfigure the dimensions at will.[/quote']

A character defines the shape of his Barrier when he creates it' date=' though he’s limited by the dimensions he purchased. For example, if a character can create a 20m long Barrier, it could be a 20m straight line, a 20m long curve....[/quote']

So, yeah. Configurable. I suppose it might be worth a -0 if you can't actually reshape it after it is placed, but the rules are pretty explicit that you can't change the ratio of the dimensions without that Advantage.

Configurable is an advantage that allows you to change the shape of an already created Barrier or when cast

Varying Dimension's define says this

This Adder allows the character to vary the dimensions

of the barrier/wall from use to use. The character may exchange 1" of length for 1" of height, or vice-versa,

but may not more than double the standard dimensions of the barrier/Wall without the GM's permission.

Rod it looks as another one for the FAQ

No need for anything to be written about it. I was basically correct and Dan is removing that Adder in the next update which will likely be tomorrow.

That's the basic aproach I'd be inclined to take.