6ed terminoligy

bubba smith

Re: 6ed terminoligy

Complications are what Disadvantages changed into. It's not just a name change.

Energy Blast = Blast

Ego Blast = Mental Blost

Barrier - replaced Force Wall + Entangles ability to form barriers.

OMCV/DMCV = Offensive and Defensive Mental Combat Values

Succor = Boost (with some mechanical changes)

Seduction = Charm

Multiple Attack = a bunch of maneuvers all rolled into a single defining mechanic (sweep, spreading, and others, don't remember all of them at the moment)

There are others, but that's off the top of me head.

Complications are what Disadvantages changed into.

Energy Blast = Blast

Ego Blast = Mental Blast

OMCV/DMCV = Offensive and Defensive Mental Combat Values

Seduction = Charm

Only In Hero ID (OIHID) = Only In Alternate Identity (OIAI)

Visible = Perceivable (as in Perceivability Of Powers)

Reputation is now Positive Rep (Perk) or Negative Rep (Complication)

From the sounds of it the changes in terminology were just for the sake of making it look different' date=' not to improve the game system.[/quote']

They're generally clarifications, or removal of legacy terms that aren't applicable as a general system.

Disadvantages are now Complications because Advantages and Disadvantages, despite sounding like opposites, refer to unrelated mechanics. While experienced players are used to it, new players can find that confusing.

Energy Blast is Blast because, by sFX, a significant number of EBs were never energy based in the first place. (Me, I'd have been tempted to change it all the way to "Ranged Attack", to match Hand-to-Hand Attack, Hand Killing Attack, and Ranged Killing Attack.)

EGO Blast is Mental Blast so it'll sit with the other mental powers. (Me, I'd have been tempted to change Telepathy to "Mind Reading" to get all of them together.)

ECV is now OMCV and DMCV because the stat's been split into offensive and defensive to match regular CV.

Seduction is Charm because "seduction" carries an implication of sexuality that limits the intent of the power.

Only In Hero ID (OIHID) is Only In Alternate Identity (OIAI) because 'heroic identity' isn't necessarily an appropriate concept for all genres.

Visible is Perceivable because the concept shouldn't be limited to just Sight.

Reputation always was both a Perk and a Disadvantage. All that's changed is the modifier Positive or Negative to make it clear which is which.

From the sounds of it the changes in teminology were just for the sake of making it look different' date=' not to improve the gsme system.[/quote']

Several rules modifications have been made. As of this point I only have Hero Designer, but they all look for the better.

From the sounds of it the changes in teminology were just for the sake of making it look different' date=' not to improve the gsme system.[/quote']

In powers, Changes were made in the terminology to make them feel broader. ie Energy blast denoted blasts of energy (ie fire blasts), Blast which is the same mechanic makes me thing of things other than lasers and fire.

Disadvantages were changed to Complications because some new players were confused that Advantages were something that was applied to a power, but disadvantages were not related to power construction.

In all of the cases of name changes, a great effort was placed in making terminology that could be confusing in 5e, clearer for 6e.

Tasha

PS I love how people think that a simple name change denotes some kind of system simplification (aka dumbing down). The mechanics are just the same as 5e with more customization built in. So in many cases one could make the arguement that 6e is actually a more complex a game than 5e. More complex but with clearer terminology

Not at all. Even in cases where the only thing that really changed was the name (Energy Blast to Blast for instance) it was done to improve the system. Energy Blast is considerably more indicative of a specific group of SFX, whereas Blast is much more generic.

Disadvantages are now Complications because Advantages and Disadvantages, despite sounding like opposites, refer to unrelated mechanics. While experienced players are used to it, new players can find that confusing.

Of note Steve has actually been pretty vehement about that NOT being the reason for it.

The name change was to make them sound less like a bad thing that people only take for their characters because they have to. The name change coupled with the new description is to help people realize that Complications are ways for players to hand plot hooks to the Ref, and to help their characters get more screen time.