My Demonic Housewife??

SimComm

Hi All,

I am back :)

It is good to see so many familiar faces/names :)

I have been away (for good reason, if anyone is interested, I am working on a blog for it, as I must speak someplace other than the Champions forums :) ), but have been doing some game by mail with my players.

One thing I wanted to bring up, and thank you for all of your help with this, is that my leader PC, Harry, who is a mage in a modern Champions setting, has recently decided to let his demon girlfriend (she really is a demon) move in with him!

I was a bit shocked, but the player seems pretty enthused by this.

The demon's name is Infernis, and she has a number of powers, including soul drain, flight, shape-shifting (which Harry doesn't know about... yet), and a complete lack of understanding of human morals.

Harry hopes that by moving in, she will become more human, but well, I think many, many plot hooks are available, as he hasn't told his other housemates (the other PCs!).

I have some ideas for naughtiness, but I wanted to come here and have a brainstorming on the many things that could be possible :)

I think Infernis won't kill anyone (to stay on Harry's good side), but well, anything else is a possibility!

Thank you again, and it is SO good to see everyone!

-SC

Re: My Demonic Housewife??

Nice to have you back, SimComm.

For some reason, this subject has me visualizing a very very SCARY version of 'I Dream Of Jeanie'.

Based on your previous posts, Infernia has some knowledge about this world already - at least, in the Big Picture sense. As you say, though, human morals and ethics are fairly new ground for her. There can be some serious plots and dilemmas presented, with the entire thing about trying to be Human and/or Good (noting that the two are not mutually inclusive, OR exclusive).

On the lighter side, there is the possibility of playing up some things like a sitcom - Infernia addressing or otherwise facing certain aspects of human behaviour, with varying results.

I keep thinking of her picking up ideas from TV reruns, and giving them a try. Imagine Harry coming home one afternoon, and finding Infernia basically channelling June Cleaver (the perfect All-American mom from the old 'Leave It To Beaver' series).

This could seriously traumatize the guy. :D

I like the idea of a demonic June Cleaver... possibly with a cleaver....

When I saw shape-shifting, my first thought was one or more other PCs get a girl/boyfriend, who somehow never seems to be around to meet Infernis and vice-versa... If you're following me. Could lead to a wonderful "mexican standoff" where one PC threatens to throw another out, possibly with the threat of using powers to do it. Roommate fights are nasty. Imagine then, roommates that can throw fireballs.

I leave you now to muse on this.

I like the idea of a demonic June Cleaver... possibly with a cleaver....

When I saw shape-shifting, my first thought was one or more other PCs get a girl/boyfriend, who somehow never seems to be around to meet Infernis and vice-versa... If you're following me. Could lead to a wonderful "mexican standoff" where one PC threatens to throw another out, possibly with the threat of using powers to do it. Roommate fights are nasty. Imagine then, roommates that can throw fireballs.

I leave you now to muse on this.

And what if said girlfriend/boyfriend is an angel...one who will not accept that a demon could ever be redeemed? :eg:

You could pull the old switcheroo on your players.

Infernus could be genuine in her attempt to learn Human ways and a demonic rival of her sends imps to plauge the house and blame it on her.

The place stinks of sulfur, the neighbors cats are missing, and the faucets all run blood. Who will believe a demon who says it's not me "honest!!"

How much the imps can get away with is more a matter of tone of the campaign. If they are comical they are merely annoying, hiding keys to the super car, etc... If they are darker or more sinister, cutting phone lines and power lines when a player is alone in the house, maybe attempting to smother a player in their sleep.

One thing I wanted to bring up, and thank you for all of your help with this, is that my leader PC, Harry, who is a mage in a modern Champions setting, has recently decided to let his demon girlfriend (she really is a demon) move in with him!

I was a bit shocked, but the player seems pretty enthused by this.

The demon's name is Infernis, and she has a number of powers, including soul drain, flight, shape-shifting (which Harry doesn't know about... yet), and a complete lack of understanding of human morals.

Harry hopes that by moving in, she will become more human, but well, I think many, many plot hooks are available, as he hasn't told his other housemates (the other PCs!).

I have some ideas for naughtiness, but I wanted to come here and have a brainstorming on the many things that could be possible :)

I think Infernis won't kill anyone (to stay on Harry's good side), but well, anything else is a possibility!

Infernis could try to "help" Harry's housemates, unhindered by pesky morals. Things such as, making the target of a PC's unrequited crush suddenly available to the PC by actively destroying the crush's current relationship, or terrorizing a PC's boss into giving him/her a raise.

"But I was just trying to help! Aren't you supposed to try and help friends?"

In anime, they call this "The Magical Girlfriend" type of story. It basically follows this sort of plotline.

Boy has quiet life.

Magical girlfrend appears.

Boy has much more lively life, with new friends, enemies, rivals for the affection of the magical girlfriend.

For Infernis, she brings with her a possibly sizable retinue of ex-boyfriends to give Harry some romantic rivalry fun. She could also have sisters/cousins who can also shapeshift and can try to help the relationship or ruin it, depending on their feelings about Infernis taking up with a mortal.

You could have some bruiser of a demon princeling show up, or a suave, sohisticated prettyboy type of demon princeling, or BOTH, all looking to get Infernis back.

How about a little sister for Infernis? Demonic and bratty could be a fun combo.

And let's not forget demon hunters. Maybe there's a sword-wielding demon-slayer who happens to be an attractive lady, who shows up looking to settle an old score with Infernis. And she could fall for Harry too.

Let the games begin. :)

Thank you for all of your replies!

I will try answer those who I can now...

Lucius:

I have not defined how old Infernis is. I thought maybe relatively old by demon standards, but not ancient. Early to mid Centuries. :)

Ian Mackinder:

Thank you! It is good to be back. I think a few serious stories mixed in with some fun is what I wanted :)

DJ Blackrock:

It is a very interesting idea with the shape-shifting :) I was thinking about using her powers with naughtiness this way, but I am not sure if she will be "disloyal" to Harry this way (Even if he is to her...).

Cygnia:

Oh, that is awful :)

-SC

BoloofEarth:

I like this idea, especially if it would be possible for her to shapeshift into a "sidekick" or "assistant" for Harry. The possibilities are quite fun, I think.

In anime, they call this "The Magical Girlfriend" type of story. It basically follows this sort of plotline.

Boy has quiet life.

Magical girlfrend appears.

Boy has much more lively life, with new friends, enemies, rivals for the affection of the magical girlfriend.

For Infernis, she brings with her a possibly sizable retinue of ex-boyfriends to give Harry some romantic rivalry fun. She could also have sisters/cousins who can also shapeshift and can try to help the relationship or ruin it, depending on their feelings about Infernis taking up with a mortal.

You could have some bruiser of a demon princeling show up, or a suave, sohisticated prettyboy type of demon princeling, or BOTH, all looking to get Infernis back.

How about a little sister for Infernis? Demonic and bratty could be a fun combo.

And let's not forget demon hunters. Maybe there's a sword-wielding demon-slayer who happens to be an attractive lady, who shows up looking to settle an old score with Infernis. And she could fall for Harry too.

Let the games begin. :)

I like all of these ideas, but I was not sure as to how much "anime" type a standard Champions game could take :)

I especially like the magic girlfriend type (even if it is very unrealistic descriptions of women), but it would be interesting to play around with many of the concepts.

I wonder how standard Superheroes would react knowing she was a demon?

-SC

I like all of these ideas, but I was not sure as to how much "anime" type a standard Champions game could take :)

I especially like the magic girlfriend type (even if it is very unrealistic descriptions of women), but it would be interesting to play around with many of the concepts.

I wonder how standard Superheroes would react knowing she was a demon?

Well, the given examples are straight out of various anime shows and are merely to give ideas for your own take on things. You can play some for laughs, and some can be deadly serious, or they can all be deadly serious.

"I Dream of Jeannie" and "Bewitched" are probably the original examples of "The Magical Girllfriend" type of stories on TV. I imagine they saw them in Japan, and that gave comic book artists ideas.

One thing to consider is that demons may have unexpected problems occur by trying to assimilate into mortal life. A psychotic June Cleaver episode would be a dark example of this. But if she's really trying to fit in, play her more like Samantha from "Bewitched." Mine the show for storylines. Does Infernis have a weird uncle who enjoys playing practical jokes? Harry makes for a captive audience of sorts. How about an identical twin sister for Infernis?

Romantic triangles are as old as the world. Does Harry have this cute witch in his past who knew him when he studied magic? Maybe Buffy the Slayer (or your world's equivalent) shows up, and romantic hillarity can ensue. Maybe the jilted Katie and Multi-Girl have unresolved issues with Harry.

Lucius:

I have not defined how old Infernis is. I thought maybe relatively old by demon standards, but not ancient. Early to mid Centuries. :)

-SC

I find it hard to reconcile this with

a complete lack of understanding of human morals.

-SC

given that I understand she's a "succubus" type of creature and, if I have not misunderstood, you are saying that for centuries her job description, if not her very reason for being, is to seduce people away from morality. I would think if anything her understanding of what is moral would be keener than the average person's, since it's probably often her task to deceive a human into committing an immoral act under the misapprehension that the act is justified. Of course, I could be totally off target about what demons are and what demons do, in your world.

I could also be approaching it from way too pedantic and serious a viewpoint. :rolleyes:

But really, one of the first things I thought of is the possibility of "demon hunters" coming around. For that matter, isn't your young magician a member of some occult organization that normally DOES hunt demons? How are his colleagues going to feel about the idea of him shacking up with one?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary recommends researching Casey and Andy, Zebra Girl, and Order of the Stick, in about that order, for demonic girlfriend plots ranging from the amusing to the horrifying.

given that I understand she's a "succubus" type of creature and, if I have not misunderstood, you are saying that for centuries her job description, if not her very reason for being, is to seduce people away from morality. I would think if anything her understanding of what is moral would be keener than the average person's, since it's probably often her task to deceive a human into committing an immoral act under the misapprehension that the act is justified. Of course, I could be totally off target about what demons are and what demons do, in your world.

I could also be approaching it from way too pedantic and serious a viewpoint. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but yours is a valid point.

The way I see it, Infernia has been spending a long time basically seeking to undermine or destroy people's moral values. Now, suddenly, she isn't.

Rather like taking a demolitions expert, and putting him/her to work trying to PREVENT a building falling down. Whilst inside it.

Lucius:

I can see what you mean! Perhaps I am not taking it from the proper point of view!

(This is why I like this forum, if there is something strange/not making sense people can tell me :) I know my PCs won't tell me that... at least not in time!)

She might have knowledge of human morals, but not a real understanding of it, because she has yet to experience them for herself.

Humans are alien to demons, and their need for restraints, may seem odd and maybe delusional? She may be very good at taking apart people's morals, but now she might be interested in seeing why Harry is making a big fuss over them...

Ian McKinder:

I like this very much too!

She is in a strange situation, as she could very much potentially benefit, as she has freedom in the human world to do what she wants, but in order to do so she has to "play by human rules."

Or at least look like she is doing so?

She would be maybe like a demolitions person who is now living with an architect, and trying to see why building things up is so much more interesting than destroying them...

-SC

I also very much like the idea of demon hunters...

Harry is supposed to be hunting down dangers to humanity, not sleeping with them!

Perhaps it is time that ramifications step in?

I am also a bit worried that my campaign is becoming too one-character intense...

Perhaps it is time to spread out the focus, or bring other characters into it?

Other PCs:

1. Red

Snarky female mage, caster of defensive spells. Harry's old friend and former rival (She considers that Harry lost their last fight, so she's ok with him now). Perfectly fine with taking plans apart, but not makes too many of her own...

2. Dreamy

Pretty female psi, powerful telepath, but physically very fragile. Also glad to watch from the sidelines, but I would love to bring her into something.

3. Maiden

Teenage boy whose super form is a 1940's superwoman (famous). PC is still new, daily tasks are still lots of fun :)

Perhaps I should get Infernis loose on them?

-SC

As for the "Can she cook?" question, I'm not sure if many people would summon her/sell their soul just to have dinner made :)

Hi! Welcome back, SimmComm! :)

This sounds like a supernatural version of Romeo and Juliet.

I would make this suggestion: it's not that Infernis doesn't understand human morals; she understands perfectly - and doesn't care. Not evil, you understand, at least not much, just utterly amoral.