I killed a PC.

quozaxx

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Re: I killed a PC.

Btw' date=' you're playing "superhero" and if your pc is'nt named Benjamin Parker he could be back.

Wait and see. Once upon a time, the same thing could be said of Bucky. And Jean Grey. And Captain Marvel. The way Marvel Comics has been going in recent years, the miraculous return of Uncle Ben is probably just around the next corner.

I did killed a lot of character by "mistake"... which mean i tend to be really legit with my players so they know the otucomes of combats or challenges are not preset. This way they have the feeling that victory is actually in their hand and not cause i decided they would win this fight or loose this one. So I stick by my dice even when it kills someone. So it happenned here and there to kill a character.

And i think it's the perfect opportunity to explore this character a lot. Depending on the belief of this character and how they want to do it. Recently one of my character was put in a deep coma cause of a kind of ego attack. Was one point away from dying but he couldn't regenerate the damage. So to make his do a kind of spirit walk to come back to consciousness using the other players to play the different encounters the character had to make. One was his childhood which was supposed to remind him through various images of his dream as a kid to be captain America. A guy played his ex-wife, with the objective to remind him of why he is doing what he was doing. Another player had to play the father who was their to "kick is lasy butt". And of course we had the evil alter-ego following everywhere denying the character of his "grandeur" and aspirations. Always coming back with he bad things he done. I just love that kind of thing.

So in your case it would be time to either visit the character psyche a bit more for your PCs... even more interesting if that particular player had a kinf of twisted mind. Or evven visit his religious belief when people thought he had none. It's a good opportunity to both know more about each character and make the gorup bond further.

Also keep in mind that death, in superheroic setting, is always a good reason for a character to come back with more powers... damn you Jean Grey.

Wait and see. Once upon a time' date=' the same thing could be said of Bucky. And Jean Grey. And Captain Marvel. The way Marvel Comics has been going in recent years, the miraculous return of Uncle Ben is probably just around the next corner.[/quote']

Uncle Ben came back for 5 minutes, courtesy Dr. Strange, so that Peter could talk to him.

Recently, I was GMing a game and the bad guy shot one of the Player characters.

The player of that character said that the character didn't have his force field on.

I told him to roll for an INT roll to see if he turned it on and he failed it. So, he really didn't have it on. I rolled damage and killed him.

Here's the thing -- did you ask him if he WANTED to turn his FF on? Or if he wanted to get shot? Because it's a Standard Rule that one can Abort to a defensive action -- such as 'put up my Force Field so I don't get cored'. So, IMNSHO, you screwed up. Done, however, is done ...

Now, he's actually seems OK with the idea of making another character, while the other players want their characters to go on a "spirit quest" to find his spirit in the afterlife.

Has anyone killed a PC by mistake?

How did you handle it?

With so many options on a "spirit quest" (including religious ramifications), any idea on how that should be handled?

Is the player OK, or thrilled? I think you need to take him aside and discuss if he wants the old character back, or really wants to try something new. If the former, then organize a spirit-quest, and maybe the player can temp-RP the spirit-guide. If the latter, do the same (while the character puts together their new character) but make sure that the PC can't (or doesn't want to) come back.

Regarding resurrection routines (religious ramifications, etc.), I'd make sure that the 'spirit quest' was based upon that PC's religious background -- and, in your opinion, partially based on where you think the character would have gone.

Have I whacked characters? Yes, of course; in fact, it's often far too easy to do so, because after all, the GM knows all (or at least mostly). How I've dealt with it is usually dependent on the player's reaction...

Wait and see. Once upon a time' date=' the same thing could be said of Bucky. And Jean Grey. And Captain Marvel. The way Marvel Comics has been going in recent years, the miraculous return of Uncle Ben is probably just around the next corner.[/quote']

And he'll probably be a Herald of Galactus when it happens. :hush:

I have killed a few PCs in my time. I have killed a few in my current DND campaign because the scenarios I am running are aparently built for 6 maximised characters and my players aren't really that powergamey. Still, they have been resurrected and if a character is going to be leaving the game I like them to have a dramatic death.

However there was one that was ridiculous. A guy, friendly seeming chap, only joined us for one session. In that session he made mention of how whenever he missed sessions with his old group they would make jokes of how his character had died while he was away. (He ended up not being able to come back due to getting married and life becoming severely more complicated) However, very very early in the next session, his NPC'd character fails a climb roll due to getting shot and fell... a long enough distance to turn him into a smear. I just let it happen without fudging because it was too funny at the time, had he come back I would have given him a cheap raising though.

The most recent PC that I "killed" was at the end of a long campaign of teen age super heroes.

We started a new campaign so the "death" was not that big a deal.

Anyway,

Quantum, brick scientist had built a weapon to raise the target's Heisenberg's uncertainty constant

which he misfired up until he turned the gun on the Hero that could vary his mass.

That hero decided to go disolid meaning he had virtually no mass

and I ruled that his position became so undetermined that he expanded into oblivion

and was unable to bring himself back down to earth.

Though he did not die, he was out of the game for all intents and purposes.

Of coarse when I pick up that game,

he can either decide to bring that character back or let the issue become history or perhaps plot device.

The most recent PC that I "killed" was at the end of a long campaign of teen age super heroes.

We started a new campaign so the "death" was not that big a deal.

Anyway,

Quantum, brick scientist had built a weapon to raise the target's Heisenberg's uncertainty constant

which he misfired up until he turned the gun on the Hero that could vary his mass.

That hero decided to go disolid meaning he had virtually no mass

and I ruled that his position became so undetermined that he expanded into oblivion

and was unable to bring himself back down to earth.

Though he did not die, he was out of the game for all intents and purposes.

Of coarse when I pick up that game,

he can either decide to bring that character back or let the issue become history or perhaps plot device.

Maybe he wound up in the "megaverse" in the same way that uber-shrinking gets you (in SFX-terms) into the microverse?

I think he may be a candidate for the the silver surfer

Nowadays, I actually find myself wishing for more lethality. My primary GM has been very reluctant to kill a PC and I have been around some pretty overconfident (ie, reckless) players. As someone else mentioned, the lack of lethality has created a sense of invulnerability that takes some of the fear and excitement out of our games.

I did killed a lot of character by "mistake"... which mean i tend to be really legit with my players so they know the outcomes of combats or challenges are not preset. This way they have the feeling that victory is actually in their hand and not cause i decided they would win this fight or loose this one. So I stick by my dice even when it kills someone. So it happened here and there to kill a character.

not very often in champions

this method still allows the GM to root for the characters or even advise them