Dragonfly. Halfjack, Mastodon

Siberian Tiger

I believe Dragonfly was replaced by Hornet from CKC. Halfjack is in the new VIPER book coming out soon.

Never heard of Mastodon. There was a Mammoth in European Enemies, though. Thankfully, no characters from European Enemies have made it into the HERO 5 Universe apparently.

PS: Although, I did sorta like The Despoiler from EE.

Originally posted by Starlord

I believe Dragonfly was replaced by Hornet from CKC. Halfjack is in the new VIPER book coming out soon.

Never heard of Mastodon. There was a Mammoth in European Enemies, though. Thankfully, no characters from European Enemies have made it into the HERO 5 Universe apparently.

PS: Although, I did sorta like The Despoiler from EE.

Mammoth was who I thought ST was referring to. Thanks for the correction. Dreadful character, like so many of the European Enemies writeups. Despoiler was a concept with potential, but as usual the execution in the book was pretty wonky. I was quite partial to the Huntsman of the Black Forest, though. His killing of two NPC superhero allies of the PCs led them to hunt him down, which turned into an exciting game run.

(Mike Surbrook has "debugged" versions of the EE characters on his website, which renders several of them almost playable.) :rolleyes:

Halfjack was another decent concept (inspired IMO by the leader of the Fatal Five), but the 11- Activation Roll for almost all of his defenses left him too vulnerable.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Halfjack was another decent concept (inspired IMO by the leader of the Fatal Five), but the 11- Activation Roll for almost all of his defenses left him too vulnerable.

That can work to your advantage in a silver/golden age style campaign where everyone has string codes against killing. Do you water down your attack in case you hit him in a vulnerable area? Do you specifically target one side or the other to ensure your hit doesn't inflict more damage than you wanted, or have no impact at all?

Asuming your characters aren't violent vigilantes, dealing with soft targets can be harder than dealing with high defense opposition.

"I hit the VIPER agent with my 90 STR - good rool! 81 STUN and 23 BOD"

"The agent is pulped. Gray matter oozes from the cracks in his helmet. The rest of the agents are awestruck - they look ready to surrender. A camera flashes behind you. The crowd is aghast. The two police officers appear to be trying to decide whether to arrest you or run for their lives. What do you do?"

Mammoth is, but I changed him.

Boosted his intelligence to 30, changed the horrid picture to one without tusks, and made him the world's smartest (and strongest) mutant!

All the heroes come and consult with him when they have technical problems (kinda like Reed Richards). I wanted one European nation where Eurostar couldn't walk in and take out the entire country.

Iceland deserved to have a benevolent mutant leader, who hosts scientific and diplomatic conferences regularly.

Rest of the book was useless.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Halfjack was another decent concept (inspired IMO by the leader of the Fatal Five)

I thought he was a combination of Tharok (from the Fatal Five) and Two-Face.

Tharok - appearance

Two-Face - obsession with duality

I was pondering a similar concept who is instead obsessed with a sort of Moorcockian perfect balance between man and machine.

RE: Riptide. You're thinking Floodgate, I think.

"Mammoth" exists in the NeoChampions continuity (my campaign), as Mastodon. I debated but ended up keeping the tusks. He's one of the continuity's 20 "Level 4" novas; I haven't actually written him yet but he's ballparked for a personal power of 700 with about 250 points of perks. He has to be strong enough to withstand Eurostar and have the perks appropriate to a "preparing world conqueror".

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Hopefully, some Heros are following this thread.

Steve - DON'T REDO EUROPEAN ENEMIES!!!

Darren - NOT AS AN EBOOK EITHER!!!

:cool:

I wouldn't worry much about that. I remember Michael Surbrook mentioning that Steve was fine with him keeping the "debugged" EE characters on his website, as opposed to other published Hero characters that Mike used to post, because Steve had no intention of ever, ever using those characters again.

Originally posted by Susano

You are correct, sir. EE will never be revised or touched by the current HERO Games people. Some of the other rewritten HERO System characters I had on my website (like the Zodiac Conspiracy) and Thunder and Lightning, had to come down.

Hmm, does this mean some time in the future we may see

a reworked Zodiac group? I hope so because they were always one of the favourite villain groups.:D

rgds

Dean

Mammoth vs. Mastadon???

Wasn't there also a Villians & Vigilantes criminal brick who had a similar name and a costume sporting tusks? Or is my aging memory experiencing a senior moment?

DC also had an evil, not-too-bright strongman named Mammoth who challenged Superman as part of the Fearsome Five. Fortunately, he retained enough good sense not to adopt a costume with an elephant theme.

Re: Mammoth vs. Mastadon???

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

Wasn't there also a Villians & Vigilantes criminal brick who had a similar name and a costume sporting tusks? Or is my aging memory experiencing a senior moment?

DC also had an evil, not-too-bright strongman named Mammoth who challenged Superman as part of the Fearsome Five. Fortunately, he retained enough good sense not to adopt a costume with an elephant theme.

Yes, Mammoth was one of the sample villains in the original V&V rulebook.

I believe DC's Mammoth originally appeared in the Wolfman/Perez run on Teen Titans.