Ants in your pants [FRED]

Fearghus

OK I had this idea for a villain in my game who's powers are all based on ants. One of the powers I would like to give him is a distracting / incapacitating ability. The idea is that a swarm of ants crawls out of the ground and causes the poor victim to itch, and in the end prevents them from acting.

I was originally going to build this as an entangle, but realized that I don't want it to prevent movement, just attacking / acting. in fact if this power could get people to run away it might even be preferable. So then I think about a change environment build that puts combat penalties on the victim, but I would have to put mobile advantages on it, and it being an area of effect power isn't really fitting the flavor of what I wanted.

Well in the end I figured since I am thinking about this I would share the misery. How would you guys build it? Basically I am looking for three main features to this power.

1> It's personal. It effects one target, moves with that target and only that target.

2> It's lasting. It would have a duration or a fade rate of some kind. It should not require the villain to re-do the attack every phase.

3> It effectively prevents the character from taking actions. doesn't prevent movement, though it might slow it, but the victim should at least find it very difficult to perform skills, attack, defend etc.

Re: Ants in your pants [FRED]

3> It effectively prevents the character from taking actions. doesn't prevent movement, though it might slow it, but the victim should at least find it very difficult to perform skills, attack, defend etc.

Doesn't this equate to an EGO drain? The specific effect could adjudicated by the GM, i.e., run around yelling "I've got ants in my pants!" rather than just stand there.

I like the Mind Control actually. Or alternately' date=' Change Environment, with Mobile to keep up with the victim - effects are penalties to CV, and a penalty to EGO rolls, which includes forcing the victim to make one to act.[/quote']

I rather like the mind control as well. Once I get some time to actually sit down with the book I will try several different builds. but I really like the mind control as of right now.

1. AOE 1 Hex Accurate

2. Continuous & Uncontrolled

3. This is the tricky one...

Shouldn't resistant defenses stop stinging insects cold??

I might build it as Mind Control (single command, swat insects) with Based on CON with a Limitation (only vs. targets with no resistant defenses*). I also might include NND (resistant defenses, common defense) to bypass regular PD as well.

*besides Combat Luck or sectional/activate-roll defenses.

Shouldn't resistant defenses stop stinging insects cold??

Interesting point, but I'd say not: you can still be tickled by a feather that has no prospect of causing damage through defences.

It might be sfx dependent though: if you have an impermeable force field or mineral skin then you are probably not going to feel it: The Invisible Woman or The Thing, or The Torch (for different reasons) would not be worried by the ants: Mr Fantastic might. That would certainly be worth a limitation on the power.

This reminds me of the old Powerpuff Girls villain Roach Coach, who controlled cockroaches to do his bidding. The roaches couldn't do much damage, but they really freaked people out because having that many roaches in one place was utterly disgusting.

Ants would not have quite that much of an effect, though one of the main effects of having insects of any kind swarm all over your body is that you will freak out, even if you aren't vulnerable to them. Presence attack, anyone?