What Genre book Reprint are you most anticipating?

redwulfe

The title says it all. What genre book reprint are you most anticipating? And of course why?

I am looking forward to Star Hero. For me this is the closest thing I have to my favorite Hero book of all time Cyber Hero. Sadly it never came out for 5th. I still love me some hard core Cyberpunk. Though I hope that start Hero gives a good amount of space to this sub genre so I can just work from there.

Red

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What Genre book Reprint are you most anticipating?

The title says it all. What genre book reprint are you most anticipating? And of course why?

I am looking forward to Star Hero. For me this is the closest thing I have to my favorite Hero book of all time Cyber Hero. Sadly it never came out for 5th. I still love me some hard core Cyberpunk. Though I hope that start Hero gives a good amount of space to this sub genre so I can just work from there.

Red

Check out Kazei 5, coming later this month, or early December, for 320 pages of cyberpunk goodness (look in the Other Genres to find out more).

Now, as for genre books... I'm really undecided. Unless there is something radically different or new in the book, I'm not sure I personally see the need to replace any of my 5E genre books. I will be getting Hero System Martial Arts, but seeing as I'm assisting on that, that's a given. :D

I might look into Star Hero... but am more interested in seeing what Darren will do with Horror Hero and Golden Age of Champions.

Check out Kazei 5' date=' coming later this month, or early December, for 320 pages of cyberpunk goodness (look in the Other Genres to find out more).[/quote']

Nice! I didn't get a chance to look at the original but I am looking forward to getting this when it comes out. I do however want Hero to come out with a book that covers the genre from a more generalized perspective rather than one based in a specific setting.

Red

Nice! I didn't get a chance to look at the original but I am looking forward to getting this when it comes out. I do however want Hero to come out with a book that covers the genre from a more generalized perspective rather than one based in a specific setting.

Red

Steve's mentioned he's researching such a book.

I'd have to say Fantasy Hero. I can't imagine there'd be much difference from the 5th Edition version, but I have this Psych Lim: Completist (I own all previous editions of FH, so not getting the 6e version just doesn't seem likely). Champions would be a close second (for the same reason).

I'd have to say Fantasy Hero. I can't imagine there'd be much difference from the 5th Edition version' date=' but I have this Psych Lim: Completist (I own all previous editions of FH, so not getting the 6e version just doesn't seem likely). Champions would be a close second (for the same reason).[/quote']

For me it's Fantasy Hero and Star Hero, for the same reasons. Pulp and Dark probably not far after. Not too sure on Champions; I've been playing Champions forever, and already have three books with that title on them. Completeness' sake might drive me to buy it, but the economy is such that I'm going to be pretty limited on books I will buy but not use.

I'm a big fan of all the genre books to be honest, but if pushed would probably put FH first as it is well suited to the toolkit aspect of Hero due to spell/monster construction and reading through the rules is a nice way to reconsider various approaches to builds and so forth.

Following the spirit of naming the 6E books simply though, so that distributors etc understand what they are, I would seriously consider renaming Dark Champions. Keep the cover though, it's spot on! :)

I'm a big fan of all the genre books to be honest, but if pushed would probably put FH first as it is well suited to the toolkit aspect of Hero due to spell/monster construction and reading through the rules is a nice way to reconsider various approaches to builds and so forth.

Following the spirit of naming the 6E books simply though, so that distributors etc understand what they are, I would seriously consider renaming Dark Champions. Keep the cover though, it's spot on! :)

Dark Champions has been Dark Champions for... what? 20 years? I don't think the name will change. If it did... it needs to be Danger International.

Dark Champions has been Dark Champions for... what? 20 years? I don't think the name will change. If it did... it needs to be Danger International.

Now would be the time to change it; in fact, I almost brought that up. Justice, Inc. became Pulp Hero... I suggest Modern Hero.

Red

I am looking forward to Champions. 5e Champions was kind of anemic esp when compared to the later sourcebooks. Also I am really looking forward to what Steve Long has to say about the genre (5e was written by Aaron Allston who is great, but not SL).

Hero System Martial Arts. This one needs to be created fast. I really look forward to the update

Hero System Equipment: Also a book that needs a 6e update. All of the guns and weapons. Hopefully with a good collection of non-combat items for all genres.

Kazai 5 should also be a fun read. Susano has a great view the Anime Cyberpunk genre. The update it should be great!

An update the Until Superpowers books will also be welcome. I am hoping that it will be more than an update to the power mechanics. I wouldn't mind seeing new takes on the powers.

A Champions Online Superpowers book would also be cool. Going over all of the powersets and how you would recreate them in Hero :D

Ultimate Base should be cool. That's a book that's been a long time coming!

Anything that is crunch (lists of Powers, package deals/templates, and so forth) will need to be redone. Anything that is primarily fluff (how to design a fantasy world, GMing advice, etc.) won't.

Hmmm. Suggestion; split them into two volumes? Crunch and fluff. Would mean that from here on out, only the crunch books need to be updated.

Now would be the time to change it; in fact' date=' I almost brought that up. [i']Justice, Inc.[/i] became Pulp Hero... I suggest Modern Hero.

With the Champions name in the label it seems to skew toward super agents (ie Shield) and not James Bond or Police Drama.

Though with the Champions Online tie in, they may decide to keep Champions in the name to attract CO gamers.

This could be taken to extremes ie Space Champions, Champions Fantasy, Pulp Champions. It would reduce the Hero Games Brand to rename products that way and shouldn't be done.

I really do like the naming scheme of Genre Hero. It makes good sense and for all but one genre make for books that are evocative and not silly (ex Horror Hero, say that 3 times fast LOL ).

Lets stop the derail here, and make a new topic if we wish to discuss the name schema of Hero Genre books

Tasha

Anything that is crunch (lists of Powers, package deals/templates, and so forth) will need to be redone. Anything that is primarily fluff (how to design a fantasy world, GMing advice, etc.) won't.

Hmmm. Suggestion; split them into two volumes? Crunch and fluff. Would mean that from here on out, only the crunch books need to be updated.

Interesting idea. The crunchy stuff is usually all I care about anyway.

I'm looking forward to reading the new Star Hero because the 5th edition one was well written and informative about science stuff, and Kazai 5 because my next campaign will be based around Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Interesting idea. The crunchy stuff is usually all I care about anyway.

I'm looking forward to reading the new Star Hero because the 5th edition one was well written and informative about science stuff, and Kazai 5 because my next campaign will be based around Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Heh... K5 is pretty much GITS the RPG... well, almost GITS the RPG. I'll freely admit the cyberhacking rules are based on things seen in GITS II: Innocence.

Heh... K5 is pretty much GITS the RPG... well' date=' [u']almost[/u] GITS the RPG. I'll freely admit the cyberhacking rules are based on things seen in GITS II: Innocence.

That's very exciting. I always liked the style of Cyberpunk as a genre but it never really had any depth for me until I saw Stand Alone Complex.

What Genre book do I most yearn to see in print again (does it have to have been in print in 5th)?

Mine is Horror HERO. Dark Champions and Star HERO being two close seconds.

La Rose

PS: The Rose will shamelessly plug Horror HERO until (and most definitely after) it comes out in 6e. :D.

Easy peasy for me. Robot Warriors.

But everyone knew I was going to say that. :lol:

I was browsing my copy of that on the throne just last night and thinking that it's about time we got a new version. That and Cowboy Hero stand out for me as missing from 5.

I'm not sure I'm gonna replace any of the 5th genre books anyway.

I was browsing my copy of that on the throne just last night and thinking that it's about time we got a new version. That and Cowboy Hero stand out for me as missing from 5.

I'm not sure I'm gonna replace any of the 5th genre books anyway.

Correction -- Western Hero.

I'm pretty sure Steve has said that while he'd love to do a Western-themed book, it wouldn't sell well enough to make the investment worthwhile.

But... you never know.