Parkour

IndianaJoe3

There's been a lot of debate as to whether parkour and similar arts should be included in the upcoming HSMA. Since Steve Long has said they will probably not be, I have decided to try to break the discussion out on to its own thread.

I have created a set of, "movement elements" that can be used on their own or in conjunction with martial arts elements to create new maneuvers. Movement maneuvers should probably not cost more than 2-3 points. Martial maneuvers with movement elements follow the normal rules for their construction.

Movement Elements

Skill Roll : 1 point

Automatically makes an unmodified Agility skill roll. A character may apply Skill Levels. Take once.

(any Agility Skill, Standard Effect (roll of 11), only for using this maneuver (-2))

Skill Bonus : 1 point

Gives a +1 bonus to a defined Agility skill when using this maneuver. These are in addition to any other Skill Levels the character may apply. Take Many.

(Skill level, only when performing this maneuver (-2))

Running : 1 point

+2m Running when using this maneuver. Take twice*.

(+2m Running, 0 END (+1/2), only when performing this maneuver (-2))

Leaping : 1 point

+4m Leaping when using this maneuver. Take once*.

(+4m Leaping, 0 END (+1/2), only when performing this maneuver (-2))

(*) Assumes heroic characteristic maxima.

Other movement modes may be added at the GM's discretion, using similar constructs.

Re: Parkour

Sell back all 12 meters of running. Then buy:

19 Flight 14m, No Turn Mode (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects +1/4, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (24 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (Must move along some at least exceedingly, remotely plausible surface; -1/4)

;)

running and leaping are cheap enough

if you buy them only for maneuver(movement)your making a mini EC out of it

-2 as a limitation only for this maneuver is not a limitation unless your move has to be something like no turning or must move like a knight

if the maneuver is to be able to run to get from point A to point B that is not a limitation

you can use that kind of maneuver for anything

At a base level, I agree with McCoy... Environmental Movement

at a more advanced level I'd favor adding the "Usable as an Alternate Movement Power" advantage to your Running as a Naked Advantage, adding appropriately Modified Flight like PanPipers build above. Although I'd probably add RSR to the common build

Climbing, Acrobatics, Breakfall, +8 meters run, +4 meters leap, +1 to DCV and up to +3 to OCV(requires Acro roll, must define the "surprise" maneuver). Should about cover everything, I think.

I will say that justifying Flying Dodge is a LOT easier for a master of Parkour or Free Running than it is for some other character types, imo.

PS: Parkour Performer? With some reputation/fringe benefits to go along with it?

Depending on how realistic VS cinematic you wanted it... a very cinematic approach could use Teleport: Must cross intervening space and say your character just manages to get there somehow...

Sell back all 12 meters of running. Then buy:

19 Flight 14m, No Turn Mode (+1/4), Invisible Power Effects +1/4, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (24 Active Points); Only In Contact With A Surface (Must move along some at least exceedingly, remotely plausible surface; -1/4)

;)

Built another way (assuming a character that already has 14 meters of Running):

2 Parkour Movement: Usable As Flight (+1/4) for up to 14 Active Points of Running, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (4 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Skill roll; KS: Parkour Movement; -1/2), Limited Power Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4)

[Notes: Because this ability is based on a Naked Advantage it is Instant by default. The Reduced END Advantage applies only to this ability, not base Running.] - END=1

IPE is not necessary this way but a 3 point Skill is (KS Parkour Movement, with Acrobatics as a complementary skill).

I would also allow this ability to apply to Swinging situations as well since Swinging itself was originally built as a limited form of Flight and Swinging already requires 'contact with a surface' of a sorts via the swing-line.

I think the OP missed the intent of my original statement: Parkour isn't even good for fake martial arts.

Parkour:

Breakfall

AK: Local City 17- (at least - it covers more than just the streets)

Optional Additions

Acrobatics (more appropriate to Free Running)

Extra Running (but not required, it's not about moving fast, it's about moving smart)

Extra Leaping (no, it's not easy getting up the side of an eight foot wall)

STR: +3 STR - there's a lot of upper body involved. You could bump this to more if you wanted.

There's a Parkour school here locally (Boulder, CO) - I attended a lecture on it. It was interesting to see their philosophy made clear about what they do, and attempt to achieve with it. The one thing they emphasized is know your environment. The more you know about your local the faster you move through it, scripted fancy movie running it cute - but ultimately is fancy movie running.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it. Not even good for a fake martial art. Good for Movement Based Characters of any kind.

Well, cinematic parkour is basically what Spiderman has been doing since the early 1960s--swinging and hopping around from building to building, jumping and running over cars, people, etc. You could build a martial art around it, but it's not a martial art by itself, in the same way that superspeed isn't a martial art by itself, but is certainly compatible with a certain group of movement-based maneuvers.

Styles with which parkour might be highly complementary might include internal arts like Aikido or Tai Chi/Pakua (both use circular movements, misdirection, and redirecting opponent motion), Drunken Monkey or any Drunken style of Kung Fu, Capoeira, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Judo, Hwarang Do, possibly some weapon styles like kali/arnis/escrima, and of course the way of the Ninja. :doi:

Just about any MA that has the fighters moving and using their surroundings to their advantage could benefit from Parkour

I just had issues with adding extra movement via a martial maneuver that got you extra movement at 1/2 or even less the normal cost with no real limitations on it

Styles with which parkour might be highly complementary might include internal arts like Aikido or Tai Chi/Pakua (both use circular movements' date=' misdirection, and redirecting opponent motion), Drunken Monkey or any Drunken style of Kung Fu, Capoeira, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Judo, Hwarang Do, possibly some weapon styles like kali/arnis/escrima, and of course the way of the Ninja. :doi:[/quote']

[quote=ghost-angel;1946869

There's a Parkour school here locally (Boulder, CO) - I attended a lecture on it. It was interesting to see their philosophy made clear about what they do, and attempt to achieve with it. The one thing they emphasized is know your environment. The more you know about your local the faster you move through it, scripted fancy movie running it cute - but ultimately is fancy movie running.

Would adding a couple of levels of perception then be appropriate, to help you navigate the enviroment?