Pamela Isley's Character Thread

PamelaIsley

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Pamela Isley's Character Thread

I heard through the grapevine that Blue bird was playing in our Crucible game :)

Welcome aboard. I saw that you wanted to represent not being able to fire your blasts when restrained. From one blaster to another, I can see why she could not use her blasts when tied up. Why not use the Restrainable limitation on Page 306 in 5th Edition Revised (6E1 393 for 6th Edition). Seems to fit what you are trying to do. There is a -1/2 version for grabs, entangles, and such, as well as a -1/4 for more exotic restrains. I am sure yours fits under the -1/2 category.

Odraude

In 6e Restrainable is in 6e1 pg 393. Since I seem to remember that Pamela is a 6e purchaser :D

Tasha :D

I heard through the grapevine that Blue bird was playing in our Crucible game :)

Welcome aboard. I saw that you wanted to represent not being able to fire your blasts when restrained. From one blaster to another, I can see why she could not use her blasts when tied up. Why not use the Restrainable limitation on Page 306 in 5th Edition Revised (6E1 393 for 6th Edition). Seems to fit what you are trying to do. There is a -1/2 version for grabs, entangles, and such, as well as a -1/4 for more exotic restrains. I am sure yours fits under the -1/2 category.

Odraude

In 6e Restrainable is in 6e1 pg 393. Since I seem to remember that Pamela is a 6e purchaser :D

Tasha :D

Yeah I mentioned that :)

Odraude

Though in our campaign, we're playing 5th Ed Revised so I showed her both that and the 6th Ed one.

Yes I look forward to the Crucible game.

I'm a little worried about the 5ER thing, but I'm not that versed in 6E. :)

No worries. I should say welcome, too - glad to have you aboard.

I had a look at how your character Bluebird would work in 5ER, and the differences would be mostly in some costs and how a few Powers operate, namely the Ice Bonds (Entangle) and the Ice Wall (Barrier).

5ER Entangle could be used to form barriers that worked much as Barrier does in 6E (BODY and DEF from the Entangle as bought, and fixed dimensions of 2m tall, 1m thick, and 2m long per BODY in the Entangle). The Limitation "Cannot Form Barriers"(-1/4) was frequently used, and should maybe be applied to Bluebird if you don't want this aspect.

5ER Force Wall corresponded more closely to some other aspects of Barrier, but used to cost END every Phase to maintain, and had no BODY. It had the 10-point Varying Dimensions Adder which equals Configurable for Barrier. The Costs END Only To Activate Advantage (+1/4) could be used, but would increase a similarly-sized Force Wall to 87 Active Points.

Representing the game effects of Striking Appearance 2d6, would cost the same in 5ER (how it is actually built is explained in 6E1 p447). It would also roughly correspond to 18-22 COM.

Everything else has minor or no differences in 5ER, and the total cost is slightly less in 5ER than in 6E.

The character Bluebird is strong, capable and effective, touching the campaign limits without exceeding them.

I'm not sure if these things have already been mentioned but I thought you'd want to be aware of those aspects.

If you have already discussed this with the GM, just disregard my comments. Like I said, welcome. :)

• 1 year later...

I'm considering posting my other Hero system characters here (there are three: a Paragon-type, a mystic blaster, and a very bizarre idea). The problem is that I haven't written full back stories yet (I'm not sure if people even read the back stories or just enjoy critiquing stat blocks, which is very helpful since I don't know what I'm doing in this system most of the time).

I also updated Bluebird to give her the power that I actually use in Champions Online much more than any other: the blizzard, which is a constant area attack centered on her.

I'm considering posting my other Hero system characters here (there are three: a Paragon-type, a mystic blaster, and a very bizarre idea). The problem is that I haven't written full back stories yet (I'm not sure if people even read the back stories or just enjoy critiquing stat blocks, which is very helpful since I don't know what I'm doing in this system most of the time).

I also updated Bluebird to give her the power that I actually use in Champions Online much more than any other: the blizzard, which is a constant area attack centered on her.

I have a bunch of characters that I haven't posted yet for that very same reason: no back story, at least not written down. My advice is to just post the characters. That way you can get the advice on the stats right away and the characters don't sit festering away in a notebook or computer. You can always add the back story later.

Yeah, I know I need to take my own advice.

Hey, some of us find creating back stories to be the most difficult part of character creation. Yours are great.

HM - resident stat-block-head :D

Paragon

Paragon

Total: 400

STR 50*, 19-, 10d6, 100t

DEX 18, 13-

CON 35, 16-

INT 13, 12-

EGO 18, 13-

PRE 18, 13-, 4d6

OCV 8

DCV 8

OMCV 3

DMCV 4

SPD 5

PD 10

ED 10

REC 10

END 60

BODY 20

STUN 50 Total Cost: 198

Skills & Talents

PS: Strength Tricks 19- (3)

Charm 13- (3)

Combat Pilot 13- (3)

Defense Maneuver I (3)

KS: United States Air Force 11- (2)

Deduction 12- (3)

Interrogation 13- (3)

Navigation 12- (3)

Professional Skill: Air Force Officer (2)

Security Systems 12- (3)

Martial Arts

Cost Name OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm, +10 STR

4 Dodge +0 +5 Dodge all attacks, Abort

4 Punch +0 +2 STR + 2d6 Strike

5 SideKick -2 +1 STR + 4d6 Strike

Total Cost: 49

Powers

Flight (25M, Megascale +1, Unified -1/4); (40)

Super-strength (Strength 40, Half End +1/4, Unified -1/4) (40)

Tough Skin (Resistant Protection 15 PD / 15 ED); (45)

Self-Sufficient (Life Support: Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Vaccuum, Self-Contained Breathing); (13)

X-Ray Vision (Totally Penetrative for Sight Group; Blocked by Lead, Force Fields); (15)

Total Cost: 153

Matching Complications

Hunted (Warlord, More Powerful, NCI, Infrequently) (20)

Psychological Limitation (Code v. Killing, Common, Total) (20)

Psychological Limitation (Arrogance, Common, Moderate) (10)

Social Limitation (Secret Identity, Steven Riker, Frequently, Major) (15)

Vulnerability (Radiation Attacks, Common, 1.5 Stun Damage) (10)

Total: 75 points

commissionomnistarbymar.jpg

Background: Steven Riker had always loved to fly. Growing up in Denver he was obsessed with model and remote controlled airplanes and by the time he was in high school, he had already decided he wanted to join the Air Force. Although Steven had several athletic scholarship offers from major conference schools, the only place he ever considered attending was the Academy.

After Riker graduated he was accepted into the fighter pilot program and the young pilot was soon flying the latest in Air Force technology, including the F-22 and joint strike fighter. Although only an above average pilot, Steven’s dedication to duty and incredible work ethic made him a favorite with his superiors and he continued to draw top assignments and promotions.

Riker’s life changed during an engagement with the War Machine. Warlord’s attempt to interfere with NATO operations in the Balkans drew the attention of the Air Force and Riker was part of a strike group designed to drive off the supervillain team. His fighter jet was struck by a blast from an experimental Hzeel-based weapon being used by the Warlord’s minions and seemed to disintegrate in a burst of blue energy. However, Riker wasn’t killed, or even injured. Instead the energy force infused his body with incredible abilities and the pilot found himself hovering in the air. He could fly on his own! Using his new-found powers, he helped the remainder of the NATO force drive off the War Machine.

Although military doctors couldn’t explain what had happened to Steven, they could confirm that he now possessed an impressive array of superpowers. Over the next several months, Riker participated in a number of trials that tested the extent of his new strength and toughness, along with pushing the boundaries of his ability to fly and see through objects. The government wanted Riker to join one of its sponsored teams, but he politely demurred. Although he was willing to coordinate with the military, he wanted to track down the Warlord and bring the supercriminal to justice.

Calling himself Paragon and designing a suitable costume, Riker spent the next several years clashing with the War Machine off and on all over the world. While sometimes supported by the U.S. military, he was never quite able to put a major dent in the Warlord’s operation. Frustrated, Paragon decided to expand his superhero career. He relocated to Millennium City where he hopes he will be able to strike a decisive blow against supercrime. The U.S. government has also asked him to keep an eye on local superhero activity for elements of vigilantism.

Personality: For the most part, Steven Riker is a fairly normal person, with a strong dedication to duty and country. He is outgoing and competitive. While in the military, he took his job very seriously and that hasn’t changed as Paragon. He meticulously plans his patrol routes and operations. He is conscientious about bystanders and civilians during his battles with criminals and villains. Although Paragon enjoys being a superhero, he is sometimes plagued with doubts about his experience level and whether he can truly compete with supervillains. If he was ever responsible for the death of too many innocents, he might not continue his career.

Paragon is still loyal to the United States military and government. If the government asked him to do something, he would probably defer to its judgment. He would like to be seen as a leader, but his military mindset means that he is more suited as a subordinate in most situations. He is used to following orders and slightly more comfortable executing others’ plans than his own.

Powers: Paragon is a classic hero. He relies on his strength, flight, toughness, and military training. He is a competent martial artist and combat pilot. He also possesses x-ray vision and does not need to breathe, allowing him to operate in a vacuum. Riker has tried to push his powers beyond their limits, hoping to develop faster flight or more options for ranged combat, but so far nothing new has manifested.

Appearance: Steven Riker is tall, dark haired, and handsome. While capable of flashing a smile, he is most often a very serious individual, with a determined look. As Paragon, he wears a white and blue costume with gold trim and bracers and a red cape. He does not wear a mask, but does appear with blonde hair when operating as Paragon. It isn’t much of a disguise and it is probably only a matter of time before his secret identity is known to those outside the military.

Notes: My attempts at a classic paragon, with a very unoriginal name. I designed this months and months ago as a change from blasters but never finished the background. I can't make the martial arts look good, sorry.

Re: Paragon

Paragon

Total: 400

STR 50*, 19-, 10d6, 100t

DEX 18, 13-

CON 35, 16-

INT 13, 12-

EGO 18, 13-

PRE 18, 13-, 4d6

OCV 8

DCV 8

OMCV 3

DMCV 4

SPD 5

PD 10

ED 10

REC 10

END 60

BODY 20

STUN 50 Total Cost: 198

Skills & Talents

PS: Strength Tricks 19- (3)

Charm 13- (3)

Combat Pilot 13- (3)

Defense Maneuver I (3)

KS: United States Air Force 11- (2)

Deduction 12- (3)

Interrogation 13- (3)

Navigation 12- (3)

Professional Skill: Air Force Officer (2)

Security Systems 12- (3)

Martial Arts

Cost Name OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Disarm -1 +1 Disarm, +10 STR

4 Dodge +0 +5 Dodge all attacks, Abort

4 Punch +0 +2 STR + 2d6 Strike

5 SideKick -2 +1 STR + 4d6 Strike

Total Cost: 49

Powers

Flight (25M, Megascale +1, Unified -1/4); (40)

Super-strength (Strength 40, Half End +1/4, Unified -1/4) (40)

Tough Skin (Resistant Protection 15 PD / 15 ED); (45)

Self-Sufficient (Life Support: Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Vaccuum, Self-Contained Breathing); (13)

X-Ray Vision (Totally Penetrative for Sight Group; Blocked by Lead, Force Fields); (15)

Total Cost: 153

Matching Complications

Hunted (Warlord, More Powerful, NCI, Infrequently) (20)

Psychological Limitation (Code v. Killing, Common, Total) (20)

Psychological Limitation (Arrogance, Common, Moderate) (10)

Social Limitation (Secret Identity, Steven Riker, Frequently, Major) (15)

Vulnerability (Radiation Attacks, Common, 1.5 Stun Damage) (10)

Total: 75 points

commissionomnistarbymar.jpg

Background: Steven Riker had always loved to fly. Growing up in Denver he was obsessed with model and remote controlled airplanes and by the time he was in high school, he had already decided he wanted to join the Air Force. Although Steven had several athletic scholarship offers from major conference schools, the only place he ever considered attending was the Academy.

After Riker graduated he was accepted into the fighter pilot program and the young pilot was soon flying the latest in Air Force technology, including the F-22 and joint strike fighter. Although only an above average pilot, Steven’s dedication to duty and incredible work ethic made him a favorite with his superiors and he continued to draw top assignments and promotions.

Riker’s life changed during an engagement with the War Machine. Warlord’s attempt to interfere with NATO operations in the Balkans drew the attention of the Air Force and Riker was part of a strike group designed to drive off the supervillain team. His fighter jet was struck by a blast from an experimental Hzeel-based weapon being used by the Warlord’s minions and seemed to disintegrate in a burst of blue energy. However, Riker wasn’t killed, or even injured. Instead the energy force infused his body with incredible abilities and the pilot found himself hovering in the air. He could fly on his own! Using his new-found powers, he helped the remainder of the NATO force drive off the War Machine.

Although military doctors couldn’t explain what had happened to Steven, they could confirm that he now possessed an impressive array of superpowers. Over the next several months, Riker participated in a number of trials that tested the extent of his new strength and toughness, along with pushing the boundaries of his ability to fly and see through objects. The government wanted Riker to join one of its sponsored teams, but he politely demurred. Although he was willing to coordinate with the military, he wanted to track down the Warlord and bring the supercriminal to justice.

Calling himself Paragon and designing a suitable costume, Riker spent the next several years clashing with the War Machine off and on all over the world. While sometimes supported by the U.S. military, he was never quite able to put a major dent in the Warlord’s operation. Frustrated, Paragon decided to expand his superhero career. He relocated to Millennium City where he hopes he will be able to strike a decisive blow against supercrime. The U.S. government has also asked him to keep an eye on local superhero activity for elements of vigilantism.

Personality: For the most part, Steven Riker is a fairly normal person, with a strong dedication to duty and country. He is outgoing and competitive. While in the military, he took his job very seriously and that hasn’t changed as Paragon. He meticulously plans his patrol routes and operations. He is conscientious about bystanders and civilians during his battles with criminals and villains. Although Paragon enjoys being a superhero, he is sometimes plagued with doubts about his experience level and whether he can truly compete with supervillains. If he was ever responsible for the death of too many innocents, he might not continue his career.

Paragon is still loyal to the United States military and government. If the government asked him to do something, he would probably defer to its judgment. He would like to be seen as a leader, but his military mindset means that he is more suited as a subordinate in most situations. He is used to following orders and slightly more comfortable executing others’ plans than his own.

Powers: Paragon is a classic hero. He relies on his strength, flight, toughness, and military training. He is a competent martial artist and combat pilot. He also possesses x-ray vision and does not need to breathe, allowing him to operate in a vacuum. Riker has tried to push his powers beyond their limits, hoping to develop faster flight or more options for ranged combat, but so far nothing new has manifested.

Appearance: Steven Riker is tall, dark haired, and handsome. While capable of flashing a smile, he is most often a very serious individual, with a determined look. As Paragon, he wears a white and blue costume with gold trim and bracers and a red cape. He does not wear a mask, but does appear with blonde hair when operating as Paragon. It isn’t much of a disguise and it is probably only a matter of time before his secret identity is known to those outside the military.

Notes: My attempts at a classic paragon, with a very unoriginal name. I designed this months and months ago as a change from blasters but never finished the background. I can't make the martial arts look good, sorry.

I just made an NPC hero for a game called "Paragon". GMTA, huh? :)