A little help for one of my players

incrdbil

In one of my play by skype games, a players is facing a challenge: they are playing a character who doesn't talk.

Feedback has sonic powers, and can simulate almost any noise--so its not a physical inability to talk--its a psychological problem.

He communicates through music, and sound bites of lyrics, movie lines, famous quotes. I'm trying to compile list, a cheat sheet of handy musical selections that can be used for situations that may arise in a superhero adventutre.

I'm appealing to the community because Feedback has an enormous appetitie for music of all tastes, so a variety of input from Herodom and its eclectic taqtstes seemed like a good idea.

good selection of fight music is welcome, but music to communuicate with is really essentuial

Music/Noises/Quotes that suggests the following concepts would help

Puzzzlement

anger

amusement

sadness

frustration

surprise

warning

apprehension

wonder

teamwork

commitment

Feel free to suggest your fav TV/Movie lines to handle many situations related to:

attack

retreat

fight

let's work together

I'm here to help

Need help

No need to answer all--but if you could just toss in 3 or 4 of your favorite musical selections and what you feel they express, it would help greatly.

Re: A little help for one of my players

It's too easy to represent each of those concepts with words in a song. (For instance, "I wonder, wonder, who wrote the book of love..." So I'm inclined to use instrumental stuff.

For amusement, I'd use Yakety Sax. Almost ANYTHING is funny with Yakety Sax. He could also use the theme song to Monty Python's Flying Circus.

For warning, I think the "dun-dun.... dun-dun..." from Jaws would work nicely.

He's gotta use Ride of the Valkyries for SOMETHING. It can be fight music, but also to represent anger or commitment.

As to teamwork: the theme from A-Team comes to mind. (I love it when a plan comes together)

For wonder, I'm tempted to say Music Box Dancer.

I'm here to help: Mighty Mouse's "Here I come to save the day!" would be perfect.

Confusion: Curly from the Three Stooges: "I tried to think, but nothin' happened!"

Challenge: the famous "Hello... my name in Inigo Montoya... you killed my father... prepare to die."

Let's work together: Princess Leia's “Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.”

If surrounded by enemies: "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you"

Facing a martial artist: "Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting"

Going up against the big bad: Darth Vader's march from Star Wars.

Agreement: Curly saying "Soytenly!" (or however it's spelled)

Puzzlement: The Pink Panther theme

Frustration could a sound byte from one of Donald Duck's diatribe's in one of his misadventures.

Attack, particularly in a rescue situation, could be the trumpet fanfare from the William Tell Overture (the old Lone Ranger theme).

Warning probably needs to have a bit more context, but there's nothing like a clip of one of the old air raid sirens.

From an old Hairband rocker"

I always thought that Kingdom Come's Get it on would make for a particularly good taunt/challenge. Not even the words, just the Zeppelin inspired opening gets across the machismo

Need help would naturally be the Beatles "Help"

Amusment: Laughing in your Face by Lillian Axe...again the music would suffice, Steve Blaze does a very adept laugh with his guitar.

Puzzlement: Who are you?

anger: One of us is going down.

amusement: Wipeout!

sadness: Dont it make my brown eyes blue?

frustration: All I want for christmas is my two front teeth

surprise: Great Balls of Fire!

warning: look at me once, look at me twice, look at me again and there's going to be a fight tonight.

apprehension:Who you gonna call?

wonder: theme for close encounters.

teamwork: The boys are back in town.

commitment: I won't back down.

attack: charge bugle call

retreat: Come with me if you want to live.

fight: There's a rumble in Brighton tonight.

let's work together: What's the sitch?

I'm here to help: Along came Jones.

Need help: help! i need somebody.

• 2 weeks later...

Thaanks for all the help. It has been goign well so far.

The player had everyone break out in laughter--at one point of what is a very strange adventure involving extra dimensional centers, cosmic beings, temporal anamolies, he played the song 'chimpanzees on segways' as the players were recovering from one really odd incident and make everyone crack up with laughter. It was one of those 'you had to be there' moments..but the non-talking character is communicating with the party :)

Music Time: Styx (excitement, taking point/lead - especially in combat)

Heavy Fuel: Dire Straits (I'd call this a 'ready to go' or 'I'm in' type theme, depending on the char's personality or adventure tone)

Sunday the Seventh Day: Mannheim Steamroller ('hunting' theme, 'the game is afoot' -- on the trail)

The Fever: Garth Brooks (describe someone as crazy, or berserk)

Ballroom Blitz: The Sweet (attack, fight, expectation of a fight)

One of the esential bits of doing such a character is using music that EVERYONE recognises and appreciates and being able to play it very quickly.

What are the classic songs? A lot of the have been mentioned above but I thought about what music lingers and is heard again and again - iconic tunes like American Pie, House of the Rising Sun, Hound Dog, Rat Trap and Psycho Killer.

The use of these can be varied but the key thing (IMO) is identifiability.

Doc

Years ago, there was a political satire / comedy radio show in Australia called 'How Green Is My Cactus'.

IMO. worth mentioning here because of one particular element. One regular character was a parody of a certain politician of the time, notorious for thinking especially well of himself (even by politico standards).

So, all of this character's appearances on the show ran as follows - Sound Effect (door opening); Loud short burst of Handel's 'Hallelujah Chorus'; Sound Effect (door closing); Character arrives.

Occurs to me that this could be used here - use of the 'Hallelujah Chorus' to suggest that somebody is maybe over-impressed with themselves.