weapon/item derived powers? How the...?

frogboy7

hi, i was just wondering how you'd make a weapon (or such) that grants Thor-like super powers? my idea was a multipower with such limitations as Only in Alternate Identity and OAF, but the sheer multitude of options is making my head spin :P I'd like a little help on this please.

btw get well soon. :D

Re: weapon/item derived powers? How the...?

Thanx for the well-wishes. ;)

Since this is a how-to, I've moved it to the Discussion board where anyone who wants to can offer a suggestion or an idea. You'll get a lot more info thataway. :)

If I were creating a Thor-like character, I'd probably give him a bunch of powers with the OIAID Limitation (I wouldn't also take OAF, since the restrictions on OIAID make that double-dipping, IMO). The hammer itself is usually bought as a straightforward Blast, with no Focus Limitation because it's impossible to take it away from him (or effectively so).

But of course, reasonable minds may vary. ;)

I'd allow some powers to be taken OAF hammer, but that means the hammer must suffer the restrictions of an OAF, including being easily removed. Restrainable seems like a better simulation of the powers Thor must swing or otherwise manipulate the hammer to use. All of his powers, including those he can use with the hammer slung at his belt, would be OIAID if we use the old Don Blake version.

However, thinking on it, the original Thor had to change back to Don Blake to use Dr. Blake's considerable medical expertise. He could not perform surgery as Thor. Blake was lame and Thor wasn't, so their complications were different. They also had different personalities. Given this, a Multiform which requires Blake's OAF walking stick to change from Blake to Thor, and has a reversion condition if Thor is separated from his hammer for more than 60 seconds, may be the better build.

As is typically the case, without knowing the precise effect desired, determining the build is a shot in the dark.

Most times when you look closer, Multiform fits better. The HulK, The original versions of the Marvel family, even Marvel's Captain Mar-vel during the time when he had to switch places with Rick Jones. But there is no right/best way in HERO.

Here's how I've done it in the past:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/71427-Thor-s-Hammer-Mj%C3%B6llnir?p=1793463#post1793463

Here's my quick & dirty take on building a 350 starting version of the character:

Calvin_hammer_small.gif

I Have A Hammer!

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

13/60 STR 3 12- / 21- Lift 151.6kg/102.4tons; 2 1/2d6/12d6 [1/3]

14/21 DEX 12 12- / 13- OCV: 5/7/DCV: 5/7

15/30 CON 10 12- / 15-

13 BODY 6 12-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

10/15 PRE 0 11- / 12- PRE Attack: 2d6/3d6

16 COM 3 12-

8/30 PD 5 Total: 8/30 PD (8/20 rPD)

8/30 ED 5 Total: 8/30 ED (8/20 rED)

4 SPD 16 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6/18 REC 0

30/60 END 0

28/60 STUN 0

Total Characteristic Cost: 73

Movement:

Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 20"/40"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Asgardian Abilities, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

47 1) +47 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (59 Active Points) 2

12 2) +7 DEX (21 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

24 3) +15 CON (30 Active Points)

4 4) +5 PRE (5 Active Points)

10 5) +13 PD (13 Active Points)

15 6) +19 ED (19 Active Points)

16 7) Damage Resistance (20 PD/20 ED) (20 Active Points)

33 8) Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 20 Minutes; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe Environment: Zero Gravity; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) (41 Active Points)

51 The Hammer: Multipower, 90-point reserve, (90 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

4u 1) Swing!: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Variable Advantage (+1 Advantages; Examples: x2 KB, AP, Penetrating, AOE 1 Hex Accurate, Affects Desolidified, Reduced END, etc...; +2) (90 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 9

Notes: Can be combined with up to 30 STR.

5u 2) Throw!: Energy Blast 12d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2) (90 Active Points) 9

5u 3) Hammer Throw Movement: Flight 20", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; +1) (90 Active Points) 8

5u 4) Breaking Dimensional Barriers: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension, Any Location), x8 Increased Weight, Safe Blind Travel (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (90 Active Points) 3

5u 5) Spinning Shield: Force Wall (18 PD/18 ED) (90 Active Points) 9

5u 6) Lightning!: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (90 Active Points) 9

5u 7) Control Weather: Custom Power (Various ways to build this) (90 Active Points) 9

Perks

4 Reputation: It's Thor! (A large group) 11-, +2/+2d6

Talents

5 Rapid Healing

Skills

22 Various Skills: Custom Skill

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 277

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

If I had a hammer

If I had a hammer: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (2d6 w/STR), +3 Increased STUN Multiplier (+3/4) (44 Active Points); OAF (-1) (22 Real Points)

I'd hammer in the morning: +3 with any Professional Skill using a hamer, Blacksmith, Carpenter, Miner, etc (9 Active Points); OAF (-1) (4 Real Points)

I'd hammer in the evening: Life Support (Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year) (2 Active Points); OAF (-1) (1 Real Point)

All over this land: AK: This land 11- (2 Real Points)

I'd hammer out danger: Danger Sense (general area, out of combat, Function as a Sense) (32 Active Points); OAF (-1) 11- (16 Real Points)

I'd hammer out warning: Hearing Group Flash 1 1/2d6, Area Of Effect (125m Radius Explosion; +1) (9 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Power Only to warn of impending danger (-1) (3 Real Points)

I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters: Change Environment (-1 to EGO Roll (to do anything harmful or hateful to a fellow being), -1 to INT Roll (to remember why one might wish to), -3 to Enraged or Berserk Rolls), Area Of Effect (125m Radius; +1 1/2) (37 Active Points); OAF (-1) (18 Real Points)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary sings

If Lucius had a ha-a-mer,

He'd probably hit his thu-uh-umb

Most times when you look closer' date=' Multiform fits better. The HulK, The original versions of the Marvel family, even Marvel's Captain Mar-vel during the time when he had to switch places with Rick Jones. But there is no right/best way in HERO.[/quote']

Yep. Multiform does generally work better conceptually most of the time. The best cases for OIAD, in my view, are:

1. Cases where the "greater" character is a true super-set of the "lesser" character... where the greater character can do everything the lesser character can do, and then some. For example, DC's Captain Marvel being a super-set of Billy Batson; there's nothing Billy can do that Cap can't do.
  2. Cases where the character has some restrictions that make it possible to catch them without their powers (usually due to some kind of device they need), but where taking that enabling device away is either extraordinarily hard, or virtually never happens. (The character who looks like the have a Focus, but never seems to lose it, for example.)

I'll be honest. I rarely allow OIHID. I see Multiform as taking the placeof it when Champions III (at least I think it was in III it might of been II) came out. Before that it was one of the most abused Limitation there was.

Yep. Multiform does generally work better conceptually most of the time. The best cases for OIAD, in my view, are:

1. Cases where the "greater" character is a true super-set of the "lesser" character... where the greater character can do everything the lesser character can do, and then some. For example, DC's Captain Marvel being a super-set of Billy Batson; there's nothing Billy can do that Cap can't do.
  2. Cases where the character has some restrictions that make it possible to catch them without their powers (usually due to some kind of device they need), but where taking that enabling device away is either extraordinarily hard, or virtually never happens. (The character who looks like the have a Focus, but never seems to lose it, for example.)

I think a lot of 40s-50s-era characters have OIAD. Hourman comes to mind/

I think a lot of 40s-50s-era characters have OIAD. Hourman comes to mind/

I would agree. Most TV/Cartoon shows that involve heroes "powering up" to win at the end often boil down to this as well. The Power Rangers for example are all pretty competent as humans but gain more protection, physical characteristics, and Martial Arts Damage classes on top of their normal abilities when "Morphed".