Military Super Squad

Gemphyre

I had an idea recently for an NPC teams of supers.

Let's face it. America and every other decent sized country would have at least one team of supers for "special missions". Their existence would be denied, of course, and nobody would believe the denials.

This is a stab at such a 5 man team. As a background note, while they all have their own military rank, except for the commander (obviously), there is little obvious rank structure within the squad.

Every member must have the following Perks and Disads:

Perks:

Access - Top Secret Clearance

Fringe Benefit - Military Rank

Fringe Benefit - Passport

Disads:

5 pts: Distinctive Features: Military Uniform: (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 pts: Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently; Major)

15 pts: Social Limitation: Member of a secret, military supersquad (Frequently; Major)

25 pts: Hunted: Military Chain of Command, Pentagon, Commander 14- (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)

The team itself is still in work, but here is what the basic powers and names are:

Jarhead (Marine) : Mid level Brick, Martial Arts, high PD/ED, Hardened, Resistant, High Pre.

Army of One (Army): Brick, Duplication, Weapons, High Defs

Seal (Navy): Amphibious adaptations, flight, infiltration, demolitions

Ace (Air Force): Hotshot pilot, high speed flight, FF at high speed, No Turn Mode, some weapons, prefers move thrus and bys.

The Commander: Presence, Mentalist specializing in MC

The reason that Jarhead has Martial Arts is that it is a part of Basic Training for all Marines. He just made sure that he got good at it. (Note: I work with Marines every day.) What I am trying to figure out is if he would have the Dirty Infighting style or the Commando style. I could see arguments for both.

Also, I figure that variations of Fastball specials and coordinated attacks would be common, especially with Ao1 and Jarhead as the fastballs.

I will post them (sans histories) as I complete them.

Gemphyre

Re: Military Super Squad : Jarhead

[b]Jarhead - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
45    STR     35   45      18-       HTH Damage 9d6  END [4]
23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
30    CON     40   30      15-
13    BODY     6   13      12-
10    INT      0   10      11-       PER Roll 11-
10    EGO      0   10      11-       ECV: 3
50    PRE     20   50      19-       PRE Attack: 10d6
12    COM      1   12      11-
25    PD      16   25                25 PD (20 rPD)
25    ED      19   25                25 ED (20 rED)
5    SPD     17    5                Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
15    REC      0   15
60    END      0   60
55    STUN     4   55
7    RUN      2    7"               END [1]
5    SWIM     3    5"               END [1]
9    LEAP     0    9"               9" forward, 4 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 202[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
7      [b][i]D.I. Voice and Prescence[/i][/b]: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); 
       Limited Power: Only vs. Military, Ex-Military, and Quasi-Military Personnel (-1), 
       Limited Power: only for Attacks (-1) - END=
25     Damage Resistance (20 PD/20 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (25 Active Points) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 32[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     MA: Dirty Infighting
4      1)  Block/Chin Block:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4      2)  Disarm:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 55 STR to Disarm
4      3)  Eye Gouge:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV,  Flash 11d6, Sight Group Flash
5      4)  Hoist 'n Heave:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -2 DCV,  55 STR , Grab Two Limbs, +20 STR to Throw
4      5)  Kidney Blow:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 1d6 +1
4      6)  Low Blow:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 NND
4      7)  Punch/Backhand:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 11d6 Strike
5      8)  Roundhouse/Two Fisted Smash:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 13d6 Strike
3      9)  Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 9d6 +v/5, Target Falls
3      10) Tackle:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, 9d6 +v/5 Strike; You Fall, Target Falls; FMove
3      11) Weapon Element:  Blades, Clubs, Fist-Loads

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 43[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
6      Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert) 11-
2      Navigation (Land) 11-
3      Persuasion 19-
3      Interrogation 19-
3      Tactics 11-
3      Teamwork 14-
9      WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Emplaced Weapons, Small Arms, 
               Flamethrowers, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers
3      TF:  Tracked Military Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, 
              Wheeled Military Vehicles
3      PS: Marine 19-
2      KS: Marine History and Customs 11-
2      KS: Military World 11-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 39[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Fringe Benefit:  Passport
5      Fringe Benefit: Top Secret Clearance:  Security Clearance
2      Fringe Benefit:  Sergeant

[b]PERKS Cost: 8[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
11      Inspire
15      Combat Sense 11-

[b]TALENTS Cost: 26[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  Several Tattoos, mostly related to Marines and America
         (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
5     Distinctive Features: Military Uniform:  (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; 
         Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20     Social Limitation:  Subject to Orders (Very Frequently; Major)
15     Social Limitation:  Member of a secret, military supersquad (Frequently; Major)

20     Psychological Limitation:  Patriot (Common; Total)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Archtypical Marine (Very Common; Strong)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Sense of Duty to USA and Squad 
               (NO MAN LEFT BEHIND.  EVER!  SEMPER FI!) (Very Common; Strong)

25     Hunted:  Military Chain of Command, Pentagon, Commander 14- (Mo Pow; NCI;
             PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)
             [Notes: All the Watchers in this Hunted are effectively the same group, 
                 just different branches and sets of eyes.]

20     Vulnerability:  2 x STUN Chemical Attacks (Common)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

Re: Military Super Squad

The weapon familiarities would not necessarily be true for Navy and Air Force. I certainly did not get any training in either during Navy Basic Training.

For this team, you are correct about Teamwork. Perhaps FAM for military personnel in general from boot camp.

You are correct about the Military Etiquette. Forgot about that one, and it is pretty much the same across all services. The KS should be service specific however.

Another would be at least a 2 pts level of PS: [service Branch]

Errr ?

Your navy lets you lose without even some Basic Familiarity with weapons ?

After a moment of thinking about it: Of course they do. You have the Marines for that.

But for a Special Forces Unit (which a superpowered Squad is) they should do it.

Errr ?

US Sailors generally don't need to fight with hand to hand weapons. We use Ship to Ship weapons. Hand held weapons don't have much effect on other ships.

After a moment of thinking about it: Of course they do. You have the Marines for that.

Da** STRAIGHT! We send them into the bullets and enemies, and we stay back in AC comfort of the ship. :)

But for a Special Forces Unit (which a superpowered Squad is) they should do it.

I do not want them to be mirror images of each other. That is why I am concentrating more on the logical minimums that each service would logically have. Also, there is no reason to think that they went through Special Forces training. While it makes sense that they would have had special training, it is more likely that it would be tailored more for their particular powers.

It makes sense that the Marine and the Ao1 to have some Martial Arts since they are both are HtH combatants, and possibly Seal. However, there is no real reason why Ace should have HtH skills. The Commander might not either. If a Air Force pilot gets into HtH combat, that means that he has lost his plane behind enemy lines, and he is in deep, deep trouble.

Errr ?

Remember the Navy's first rule for a gunfight:

Send the marines!

I am currently in the Navy, and things have changed. Everyone gets training on the 9mm Barretta in Basic, and anyone that's been on a ship longer than 2 weeks would be trained in a long gun (typically M-16, but there are still some M-14's out there). Marines don't guard our ships, or do our hostile boardings.

P.S.

I would use Devil Dog rather than Jar Head as Marines love the former, and the latter is more derogatory, and I would doubt that any Sailor who hasn't been through BUDS would call himself SEAL.

I had an idea recently for an NPC teams of supers.

Let's face it. America and every other decent sized country would have at least one team of supers for "special missions". Their existence would be denied, of course, and nobody would believe the denials.

This is a stab at such a 5 man team. As a background note, while they all have their own military rank, except for the commander (obviously), there is little obvious rank structure within the squad.

Every member must have the following Perks and Disads:

Perks:

Access - Top Secret Clearance

Fringe Benefit - Military Rank

Fringe Benefit - Passport

Disads:

5 pts: Distinctive Features: Military Uniform: (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 pts: Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently; Major)

15 pts: Social Limitation: Member of a secret, military supersquad (Frequently; Major)

25 pts: Hunted: Military Chain of Command, Pentagon, Commander 14- (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)

The team itself is still in work, but here is what the basic powers and names are:

Jarhead (Marine) : Mid level Brick, Martial Arts, high PD/ED, Hardened, Resistant, High Pre.

Army of One (Army): Brick, Duplication, Weapons, High Defs

Seal (Navy): Amphibious adaptations, flight, infiltration, demolitions

Ace (Air Force): Hotshot pilot, high speed flight, FF at high speed, No Turn Mode, some weapons, prefers move thrus and bys.

The Commander: Presence, Mentalist specializing in MC

The reason that Jarhead has Martial Arts is that it is a part of Basic Training for all Marines. He just made sure that he got good at it. (Note: I work with Marines every day.) What I am trying to figure out is if he would have the Dirty Infighting style or the Commando style. I could see arguments for both.

Also, I figure that variations of Fastball specials and coordinated attacks would be common, especially with Ao1 and Jarhead as the fastballs.

I will post them (sans histories) as I complete them.

Gemphyre

What about the Coast Guard?

Oh, and my dad having served with the Marines in the early 60s would probably suggest that Jarhead should be built on twice the character points as the others. :doi: (4 times than those wimpy-@$$ sailors :rolleyes:)

I am in the Navy too and as for some of the skills...well it depends on a few things.

1. Was the Navy guy an Officer or enlisted.

2. If enlisted what rate ( certain rates get more or less weapons training on others or even other useful skills..ex: Corpsmen may get Paramedic and weapon skills) If an Officers what designator ( he could be an an aviator or even a Seal Team leader.) From his name I am guessing that he is a seal but remember Seals can come from sailors in the fleet and he may have some other useful skills besides combat oriented ones.

Navy basic Training ( It has been awahile so bear with me) should include some familiarity with weapons but definitely not as much as marines or Army. Sailors also learn a good deal about firefighting and teamwork (if your ship/submarine is on fire you can't call the local fire department.)

I am curious about the origin of their powers. If they were purposely intended to be super soldiers then they may have been trained and groomed for the position but if it was accidental the sailor could have been one of the cooks on the ship and would therefore not be as well trained.

I'd think a 5 person military supers team would need a few basic things:

1. at least one character with major enhanced senses

2. a fast mover, either a flier, a ground pounder, or both

3. a heavy hitter(brick, energy projector, or both)

4. a sniper or artillerist(able to either deliver a hard hit at a long distance to a single target, or to deliver a moderate hit to a clustered group at a medium distance, or both)

5. A commander type, probably with the most diverse power set

They'd also need Tactics, Teamwork, KS: Major Supervillains, KS: Enemy Spec Forces Weapons and Tactics, etc.

plus the usual communicators, a gear VPP, maybe a team transport or three (though if there's a team teleporter, that would be ideal)

A 10 or 11 person "full squad" would be even more formidable and might even include one or two of the more "exotic" archetypes(mentalists, gadgeteers, mages, weather manipulators, cyberpaths, etc.)

I did something similar a while back for Germany: (Shameless self promotion )

Murx was the Brick.Anja was the problem Baby and Ballistic one of their tricky guys. ( http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/74989-Making-up-a-current-Day-Germany-for-Champions...../page4 )

Napalm the Energy Projector and Falke the Flyer ( http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/74989-Making-up-a-current-Day-Germany-for-Champions...../page7 )

they were sort of State Police (?)/ Border Patrol. (Bundesgrenzschutz)

I still have not gotten them into costumes. ( Only once one started to wear one posing as a new Super villain)

I am currently in the Navy' date=' and things have changed. Everyone gets training on the 9mm Barretta in Basic, and anyone that's been on a ship longer than 2 weeks would be trained in a long gun (typically M-16, but there are still some M-14's out there). Marines don't guard our ships, or do our hostile boardings.[/quote']

I was in during the first half of the 90's, and in boot during Desert Shield/Storm. They probably changed things up after we invaded Iraq.

P.S.

I would use Devil Dog rather than Jar Head as Marines love the former, and the latter is more derogatory, and I would doubt that any Sailor who hasn't been through BUDS would call himself SEAL.

Good point on Jarhead. I have changed his name to Devil Dog. As far as calling the Navy character "Seal", I am open to better ideas. The character is still in work. He is fully amphibious, flight, and is the infiltration and demolition expert, plus some other skills (need someone with combat driving :) ). Actually, he probably did go through BUDS.

Gemphyre

Are we commenting on the builds too? Because a 70 PRE is going to make Dr Destroyer poop himself (he is a Commander of a Quasi-Military force)

Yes, please comment on the builds. I have since reduced his base PRE to 30 for other reasons. His max is only 50 (not counting circumstance bonuses). And the +20 PRE would not apply to Dr. Destroyer in any case. I seriously doubt that he has the conditioned reflex to obey that sort of voice that one gets when going through boot camp for any service. In any case, I have added a note to the PRE explaining this more fully.

Gemphyre

judging by the points payed for presence,

I think the presence is 30(50)

VAL       CHA    Cost
30(50)    PRE    20(27)    [b]D.I. Voice:[/b] +20 PRE Attacks -1 vs. Military types -1  (20-2=+7)

You are correct. That is all the at it was meant to be. A glitch in HD3?

Gemphyre