Assigned Cities... and stuff.

Chuckem

I am building my campaign world aside from the fact that I have only 2 players. I have taken a page out of the Tick and Mystery Men. Cities are assigned heroes or have adopted one. All of these cities' heroes are near omnipotent (Superman) but are arrogant snobs who do the job for status rather than for the safety of the people. The Player Characters are considered misfits and scrubs at best and are far, far less powerful than the real heroes but they have done something unheard of: teaming up. I need to build something for them to go up against that is quite the challenge yet beneath the Supermen's notice.

I am running a few one on one scenarios for the players to start them out. One of the players character is the protector of the town he grew up in and lives in. Problem is the town is so small it only has one traffic light. Extremely rural area. What challenges/villains can I use aside from a couple of losy bank robbers? Looking for something interesting.

Thanks...

Please keep in mind that I have played the game a few times but am far, far from being well-versed at it...

Re: Assigned Cities... and stuff.

Nothing wrong with bank robbers, especially in Golden Age games.

Clyde Barrow sometimes used a Browning Automatic Rifle - a fair bit of firepower for a B-list hero to face. Modern equivalents should be possible.

Aside from that: aliens, mad scientists, lost civilisations... You might want to put something in the area that would make it a weirdness magnet - some kind of interdimensional rift or something would work well.

Like I said, mad scientists are useful. Even ones that aren't actively evil can still unwittingly cause problems, and they can be reused. I'm thinking of a character like Professor Potter from old Superboy/Superman stories.

The aliens could be doing anything from preparing an invasion to cow tipping.

Thanks, Assault. I just killed Big Bubba Bigshot (the hero) with the interdimensional/weirdness idea, lol. Either he needs better defenses or I need to tone down on the small penetrating attacks...

The short story is there was an ancient item of great power which awakened and took over a local drunkard and gave him a few psionic abilities. This drunkard named "The Apparition" (for lack of a better name) quickly gained control of town members who BBB had to subdue without seriously hurting them but they ended up killing him due to a combination of his (5d6) of Unluck and some of the townsfolk using small arms and some meddling by The Apparition.

I am considering using some "divine intervention" and letting him keep his character due to the fact that this was my first GM session with the game and his first game period using Hero. We both had a good time, though and he has a decent (if very basic) character who has Beast level strength and wrestling style martial arts combined with some other minor powers. I will be running a solo session with my only other player tomorrow and hopefully it will turn out a little better.... Wish me luck :)

You can include rednecks that have got their hands on way too much firepower. Enough that local law enforcement is afraid.

Where is this located? Location can really play into the things the group encounters. Crocodile men in a Lousiana Bayou. Native American indians in Western Nebraska up to no good summoning spirits to harrass the townsfolk. Bigfoot in the wilds of Oregon or washington State terrorizing campers.

Start thinking about what kinds of crimes happen in big cities. Back in the Golden Age, bank robberies could get you a lot of cash, and you'd see these happen frequently enough to make the news, cf. John Dillinger, et al. What about nowadays? Here are some quick thoughts.

1. Industrial Espionage (e.g., stealing patents, prototypes, etc.)

2. Hostage Crises (e.g., premeditated terrorism, unpremeditated hostage-taking where other crimes go wrong)

3. Domestic Terrorism (e.g., foreign ideologues, domestic eco-terrorists, white supremacist militias, etc.)

This is in addition to acts that specifically target the players' characters in order to remove a law enforcement obstacle.

Also, don't forget that a staple of comic fiction is having heroes deal with environmental disasters of various kinds as well. But don't forget, never forget, your players are not allowed to fly around the world backward until they make time rewind to avert the disaster. It's just not allowed.

I'm actually running a Champions game where the players are kind of like the JLA in that they all have different home cities, and they group to confront common threats that transcend their more local concerns. At present, it looks like an alternate reality is attempting to overwrite this one, and the culprit is that reality's alternate version of the smartest character in the PC group.